2012 jk ; heater issue?

Holeshot

Banned
Well, something else going wrong.. got heater issue today.

It's 0 centigrade outside, once the engine is at it's normal working temperature, the air coming from the passenger side was so hot that it was almost unbearable, in any position.

BUT, on the driverside, the air blowing on my feets was almost cold, same thing coming from the side window vent, from the center bezel vent it was a "normal" warm air, but not as it's supposed to be, same for the windshield.

I'm gonna bring it to the dealer tomorrow I guess :thinking: :icon_crazy:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
sounds like you may just have some kind of blockage. not sure if the JK uses a vacuum setup to operate the different vent panels but, if so, could be one of the lines got pulled or is kinked. either way, the dealer will be your best bet in addressing this.

Holeshot

Banned
I think jk's uses electric motors for the heater doors, vaccum is old school and was used in the tj's lol.

I took an appointment this morning, but they're loaded until nov 21st :icon_crazy: damn winter tire change rush :doh:

I also asked to check for my noises coming from the clutch and drivetrain.

---

If there's a blockage, I don't really figure out what it could be. I got only 13 000km on it actually. Possible causes could be leafs of other which could go through the duct and block the heater core. but I'm supposed to have a cabin air filter so it is barely impossible. If jk's had dual zone heating, it could be a trap that isn't moving, but they don't have such a setup. Otherwise It might be a clogged heater core from the interior, and if so they gonna need to replace the unit to fix it..

Anyway's, it's still under full warranty so I don't mind, as long as it's fixed when I'll pick it up after repair lol

Last edited:

MTG

Caught the Bug
Sounds like a blend door issue. Not exactly sure if or where it is on the JK.

Holeshot

Banned
the blend door isn't supposed to block the incoming air from the exterior while using max A/C? if so, I don't have the A/C, and there is no fonction for using the interior air recirculation, so I guess there is no blend door :thinking:

MTG

Caught the Bug
Holeshot said:
the blend door isn't supposed to block the incoming air from the exterior while using max A/C? if so, I don't have the A/C, and there is no fonction for using the interior air recirculation, so I guess there is no blend door :thinking:

Just looked and there are a few threads on this on jk-forum. Here are a couple.

http://www.jk-forum.com/stock-jk-te...till-no-heat-drivers-side-149922/#post1920446

http://www.jk-forum.com/stock-jk-tech-12/no-heat-driver-side-150440/

Holeshot

Banned
ho yeah! thanks for the input!! don't know if I should be glad other had the same issue or if it's a bad sign :thinking: lol

Holeshot

Banned
After reading a couple thread on various forums, this seems to be a common problem on some jk's since 2007. They're would be two major possible causes which split hot and cold air in the duct.

Possible cause #1 : warped duct causes a break of the blend door of some sort, which result in hard or no movement of the blend door, the cold side of the heater core isn't covered completely, so fresh air can enter through the duct and makes the driver side much colder.

Possible cause #2 : Clogged/Blocked/obstructed passage of the heater core from the inside caused by the casting sand used in the fabrication of the engine bloc. Which is not cleaned properly before assembly, and result in sand deposit in the heater core and block passages. So in this case, coolant can't go through every passages and makes the air feel much colder. Some people tried chemical flushes but it don't fix the problem. A new heater core is necessary.

-----------------

Now, I read somewhere a guy took the temperature of it's "normal working" heater, which blows air at 155 F. I decided to do the same with mine in bad working condition, and I took photos. Unfortunately, it was dark outside so it's hard to see which vent it is, but will write it anyway.

Every readings are at they're respectual position (face was to face and floor measurements on floor position)

Passenger side window vent
2012-11-06 18.02.14.jpg
Right side of the radio vent
2012-11-06 18.01.09.jpg
Left side of the radio vent
2012-11-06 18.03.43.jpg
Driver side window vent
2012-11-06 18.04.37.jpg
Driver floor vent
2012-11-06 18.09.09.jpg
Passenger floor vent
2012-11-06 18.11.36.jpg

So you can CLEARLY see that there's a major difference between the passenger and driver heat.

Dirt Addiction

I'm having the same problem. If the issue stems from casting sand that is left over in the engine block from manufacturing. Wouldn't that be considered a manufacturers defect and shouldn't it be covered under the powertrain warranty since the problem is caused from a defective component of the power train?

Top Bottom