Hardtop/tub spacers?

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
My 2014 JKUR came with spacers between the hardtop and the tub (located at all 6 bolts). They continously work their way out. Are they even supposed to be there???

20150320_080544.jpg

20150320_080538.jpg

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
I have a brand new 2015 and it does not have these. No signs of the bolts loosening. Sounds like a dealership trip

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
GM13 - Loose bolts? I don't got no stinking loose bolts! Lol.

BitBucket - I made the AL plates out of some scrap in my garage. For some reason I envisioned the bolt heads eventually cracking the hard top. I made the plates to evenly distribute the pressure. So you have these bottom plates too? What year is your JK?

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
GM13 - Loose bolts? I don't got no stinking loose bolts! Lol.

BitBucket - I made the AL plates out of some scrap in my garage. For some reason I envisioned the bolt heads eventually cracking the hard top. I made the plates to evenly distribute the pressure. So you have these bottom plates too? What year is your JK?

Sorry! I misread! I thought you were talking about the metal spacer inbetween the bolt head and the hard top, not the hard top and tub! Ill have to look at him on lunch at work for you. I think im the one with some loose bolts lmao

Rccrwlr

There is a theory that the top will crack from over torquing the hard top bolts. The head on the bolt is after all pretty small. Looks like the dealer or the PO added a spacer above and below sandwiching the top between. We took a large flat washer and run the top bolt through it before it goes into the top to help distribute the pressure. I'm not sure the spacer you have between the top and tub is helping. It actually may make things worse and allow for flex around the spacer. Would remove it and keep the one on top.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Lol... lots of ppl misread. Including myself.
I added the AL plates on top. My JK was delivered new to the dealership with the spacers/shims in place. I picked it up shortly after delivery. It does have the dual top option... maybe the spacers are for transport only? :idontknow:
I'm gonna swing by my local dealer and take a peek at what's on their lot.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Ever think maybe it was the plates that you added that is causing the issue?

I just recently added the AL on top, bottom spacers have been moving outward since new. I just move them back every so often. I'm mostly interested in whether they are supposed to be there in the first place. Maybe they should have been removed during dealer prep?

Rccrwlr

I just recently added the AL on top, bottom spacers have been moving outward since new. I just move them back every so often. I'm mostly interested in whether they are supposed to be there in the first place. Maybe they should have been removed during dealer prep?

No I don't think they are

BlackHawk08jk

Although when you take the hard top off and on a lot the area around the holes starts to crack. Maybe they did that to distribute the pressure and prevent that.

BitBucket

@doubletapdaddy
I have a 2014 Ruby and the pad/shims are under the tub lip and move making it a PIA to get the bolts back in.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
The shims are on every HT at both local dealerships. I had forgotten to add that they are actually installed between the HT and the HT weatherstripping (which has ripped from them moving out) , so I guess they probably belong.

greggnj

I'm surprised your bolts are long enough with those aluminum plates you added. I tried to keep my tuffy security deck in with the hardtop and the bolts weren't long enough so I just run it with the soft top. I need to pick up some longer bolts.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
I'm surprised your bolts are long enough with those aluminum plates you added. I tried to keep my tuffy security deck in with the hardtop and the bolts weren't long enough so I just run it with the soft top. I need to pick up some longer bolts.
I replaced the bolts.

JAGS

Hooked
I'm going to guess you've over compressed the weather stripping. That's what helps to keep those in place. Maybe add a small strip of basic double side tape to keep them in place. You can probably get the weather strip at the dealer or just figure something else out.

FYI, those bolts don't need to be "torqued" just snug to the top.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1426872484.314889.jpg

Top Bottom