Rocker Protection - Frame vs Tub mounted

Hey guys,

I'm back in the market for jeep upgrades (I get to keep my Jeep!!! :rock: Just had a kid last year and wife wanted to get a minivan :icon_crazy: ) and I want to get some rocker protection. After searching around the interwebs and talking to friends, I seem to be getting mixed opinions on Frame vs Tub guards. There seems to be 2 main schools of thought.

1. Frame mounted, due to the frame being the strongest point to mount to, and guards do not contact the tub directly reducing potential tub damage.

2. Tub mounted, which disperse the impact load across many mounting points on the tub while allowing the frame to twist as it was designed too, and better clearance.

So what's the deal in relation to the JK? Is the frame stiff enough that frame mounted rails aren't going to impede natural frame torsion? Frames are bitch to repair, if possible...

Thanks for the help

Ken

montanajeeper

The JK tub is too thin and pliable, and the body mounts are too soft for either a tub or body mount bolted JK rock slider to be good for anything other than a step.

Only a weld-on or bolt-to-the-frame design made out of DOM tubing will prevent body damage.

pastorwug

The JK tub is too thin and pliable, and the body mounts are too soft for either a tub or body mount bolted JK rock slider to be good for anything other than a step.

Only a weld-on or bolt-to-the-frame design made out of DOM tubing will prevent body damage.

^^^^^^^^ Yup - that's a big 10-4

Just watch any of the Wayalife Video's and you can answer the question yourself. I chose frame mounted because to the videos.

SFNick

Sounds like a load of shit to me....."not good for anything but a step"? The Rubicon Slider aren't weld on by no means but they do a good job at stopping body damage & suck as a step.

KingCopperhead

My stock rubi rails lasted one trip to rausch creek before bending up into the tub. They did their job, once. No body damage but a couple of small scratches. Replaced them with evo weld on sliders and couldn't be happier.

How hard someone wheels their jeep is completely subjective. Body mount sliders might be just fine for some folks. But if you're going to play in the rocks, do yourself a favor and get some weld on sliders.

SFNick

I will add that I would get frame mounted rock sliders over body mounted ones but another thought to consider before you go welding on a set of sliders is if you plan on doing a engine swap in the future. Makes things a little more complicated to get the body separated from the frame.

Grubbicon

I personally dont think it is fair to say body mounted sliders arent good for anything but a step. I have the body mounted poison spyder rocker knockers and they have been put into many rocks and sure they might make the body give at some point but they haven't yet. I would also say this comes down to where you do most of your wheeling. Places were its all rock and your using them a ton I would say frame mounted such as the EVO are a great idea. But if your in a place where you dont think you will be putting them through serious abuse you can go either way with it and be fine. I also suggest you see this http://youtu.be/UXLp-c1znyM

montanajeeper

Sounds like a load of shit to me....."not good for anything but a step"? The Rubicon Slider aren't weld on by no means but they do a good job at stopping body damage & suck as a step.

The Rubi sliders are better than nothing. However, with a hard-hit they will flex up into the tub and cause body damage. I've seen it happen on a two door, right in front of the rear wheel well. I've seen it happen on a four-door underneath the B pillar.

It doesn't take a huge slide and drop, with an impact for this to happen. It can be as little as a six-inch drop.

KingCopperhead

The Rubi sliders are better than nothing. However, with a hard-hit they will flex up into the tub and cause body damage. I've seen it happen on a two door, right in front of the rear wheel well. I've seen it happen on a four-door underneath the B pillar.

It doesn't take a huge slide and drop, with an impact for this to happen. It can be as little as a six-inch drop.

Was less than a 6" drop for me to bend mine on a 2 door. Wasn't even a hard impact. Wish I still had pictures. The mounting tabs at the front of the jeep were bent right up. This left the rubi rails pressed against the rockers, couldn't fit a credit card between the tub and the front of the rail.

Like I said. They did their job, I'm thankful for that. But I would have been extremely upset if a set of expensive aftermarket sliders did this. I've smacked my Evo sliders down pretty hard and they just take it.

noroad

Im sorry but this isnt true!

I've watched plenty of Eddies videos and have seen Evo's sliders first hand and like them. My main concern is how the frame on a jk holds up after a few years with frame mounted sliders... Then clearance is my second concern. This is why I'm considering body mounted.

So, a TJ's body has think sheet metal?

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I've watched plenty of Eddies videos and have seen Evo's sliders first hand and like them. My main concern is how the frame on a jk holds up after a few years with frame mounted sliders... Then clearance is my second concern. This is why I'm considering body mounted.

So, a TJ's body has think sheet metal?

Your tub will fold up before the frame. They have been put through years of testing.

BlackHawk08jk

I personally dont think it is fair to say body mounted sliders arent good for anything but a step. I have the body mounted poison spyder rocker knockers and they have been put into many rocks and sure they might make the body give at some point but they haven't yet. I would also say this comes down to where you do most of your wheeling. Places were its all rock and your using them a ton I would say frame mounted such as the EVO are a great idea. But if your in a place where you dont think you will be putting them through serious abuse you can go either way with it and be fine. I also suggest you see this http://youtu.be/UXLp-c1znyM

I don't think it's a good idea to ever assume that it won't get that bad while wheeling.😁

montanajeeper

Im sorry but this isnt true!

You can use tub mounted sliders for steps and for pivoting, but they will flex into the tub with impacts.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426892957.559592.jpg

JK%252520003.jpg

IMG_5829.jpg

RSEStepDamage.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think it's a good idea to ever assume that it won't get that bad while wheeling.😁

True that, and live where it's rocky.

I've wanted to get a frame mounted since the beginning, but a friend (CJ7 / TJ owner) of mine said that they cause issues with the frames and I could end up getting cracks at the crossmembers and suspension mounts. That's why I started searching the Internet and came to you guys.

I plan on keeping this jeep for a long time so the frame is more important to me then the body. But it sounds like the jk's frame is much better then the old Jeeps and pickups of yesteryear.

Am I on the right track?

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Tub mounted sliders may be fine for some people, but I would never run them. I've seen tub sliders and also body mount sliders cause damage to the tub that would not have happened with frame mounted sliders.

Let me put it this way. Would you feel comfortable and safe winching your Jeep back onto its wheels using tub mounted sliders as the attachment point? I wouldn't, but I wouldn't think twice about using the EVO welded sliders for that purpose.

Last edited:

sitruc

Let's also throw PSC Brawler Rockers and Genright's mini boat side rock sliders into the conversation. What is the opinion on them?

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
I know that I own them, and yes... I have not yet tested them, but Nemesis Industries Billy Rockers are definitely stout. Check out their YouTube videos.

Top Bottom