Replacing RK rear trackbar bracket with EVO

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
After having my forward axle's RK trackbar bracket rip off a few weeks ago I decided to replace it with the EVO front trackbar bracket. When I ordered it, I decided to buy the rear one too to make sure I didn't have a failure on the rear axle in the future.

I got some time today to get started on the replacement.

Here is the rear RK bracket beside the EVO bracket (being supported by the portion of the OEM rear bracket that I had to cut off).
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1426889701.297718.jpg

The cut-down OEM mount. I had to do a lot of grinding with the angle grinder to remove the welds.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1426889814.355217.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1426889849.421277.jpg

Cleaned-up (more grinding to get everything flush) and primed.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1426889903.071415.jpg

Top-coated
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1426889938.126142.jpg

Mostly installed
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1426889975.342822.jpg

Here's the snag...
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1426889999.707912.jpg

I haven't sheared-off a bolt in a long time. I knew it was tight enough, but I wanted to get enough threads on both sides of the U-bolt so that I could install the locking nut on top of the that nut (as in the instruction's picture). I'm not a fan of left over hardware...yes I said I knew it was tight enough and still made a stupid mistake.

So I'll be off to the hardware store tomorrow morning to pick-up another U-bolt. After that one is on tight, then I'll weld the sides to the axle.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Looks way better. I don't know why rk hasn't gotten with the program on their track bar brackets.
Tractor supply using has a good selection of u bolts.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
That's pretty hi-tech there

Yep...they do work though. They have a bolt-on clamp for the front springs.

Thanks guys for the suggestions on where to pick up the "now needed" U-bolt. I was planning on a stop at Fastenal in the morning, now I have a few more options.

JKbrick

Yep...they do work though. They have a bolt-on clamp for the front springs.

Thanks guys for the suggestions on where to pick up the "now needed" U-bolt. I was planning on a stop at Fastenal in the morning, now I have a few more options.

Put spring retainers on my springs too then everybody said if your shocks are not too long they won't unseat anyway. Made good sense, thank goodness they were cheap and easy to put on

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
After making it to Fastenal, I realized they weren't open on the weekends...doh... Should have checked their hours first. So instead of driving to the nearest Granger, I checked their hours on their website and found out they were closed too. So I picked up a couple of U-bolts at Tractor Supply.

Installed the U-bolt without breaking it.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1426976617.792333.jpg

Welded as much as I could, cleaned it up and primed.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1426976680.405488.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1426976699.616306.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1426976710.259146.jpg

Just need to top coat everything and re-assemble tomorrow.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
All done.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1427040602.702996.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1427040614.848901.jpg

More clearance between the shock and the EVO bracket than I had with the RK bracket. That could be seen as ironic.

2011jk

Rk solution for spring retainers.

:thinking: I've never see any manufacture supply band clamps with their coils..so its a owners addition.

Why is a welding Failure of a track bar bracket extension the manufactures fault...

But those new brackets look sturdy..

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
:thinking: I've never see any manufacture supply band clamps with their coils..so its a owners addition.

Why is a welding Failure of a track bar bracket extension the manufactures fault...

But those new brackets look sturdy..

Yes, they don't include them, but per the directions, it's their solution to spring retainers and honestly, if your shocks fall out, your shocks are too long.

The design of the bracket is inferior, that's why so many rk brackets break.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
The size of my shocks (fully extended) compared to gap between my bump stops & extensions mounted on my axle will not allow my shocks to fall out at full droop. So I don't really need to use the hose clamps, I just installed them to follow the directions. I figured why not.

2011jk

Yes, they don't include them, but per the directions, it's their solution to spring retainers and honestly, if your shocks fall out, your shocks are too long.

The design of the bracket is inferior, that's why so many rk brackets break.

Its stated its a solution ...cost effective not the best way.

Their are better ways to retain the coils if needed top and bottom.

Still haven't see any evidence of where the bracket failed from its design just poor welding on some ones part.

Are their better ways of doing this sure at a higher cost and more work for the installer..that's the choice of the kits buyer to choose just which way-brand he wants.

I've done it many different ways and without any issue..currently its a PR 60-80 and modded brackets to my liking.

Jeepfan30

EVO's website says the rear trackbar bracket requires some grinding and welding. Is it possible to bolt the bracket on until I can get to a welder? If anyone has install pics, or first hand knowledge that would be great.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
EVO's website says the rear trackbar bracket requires some grinding and welding. Is it possible to bolt the bracket on until I can get to a welder? If anyone has install pics, or first hand knowledge that would be great.

You have to cut off part of the factory mount I believe. I haven't installed mine yet. Once that is cut off you can bolt it on but it's recommended to weld it on.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

You can bolt it on. Welding is recommended.

Top Bottom