Gobi Roof Racks

Hey guys I'm just trying to get a list of mods together so when I finally get a Jeep I can start adding! I have a kayak and since I will be losing my truck when I get the Jeep, I'll need a way to haul it. I am really thinking the Gobi Stealth Rack because it seems more durable than most and can support more weight than most. What kind of racks do you guys use? Also what are your opinions on the Gobi's?

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I don't have a rack, but if I get one it would be LoDs. Im pretty sure its the higest rated one and it rolls back to turn into an awning and allow you to fold back a soft top. I think the Gobi requires a hardtop.

MICP3309

Do you plan to wheel? I had a GOBI rack, but the 60# of weight up high made me take it off after 1 trip! Very top heavy (as with any rack). Other than that it was very well made, mounts cleanly without drilling ect. I am figuring out diff ways to carry the kayak too.

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
I love my Gobi rack. It's very well built and it's came in very handy. The most recent use was hauling my sons new bed.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1426996676.151244.jpg

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
I love the look of that! Is there a lot of wind noise from it? Also I kind of like the look of the Ranger over the Stealth.. what're your opinions?

I don't notice it at all around town speeds. It is noticeable at highway speeds. It's not obnoxious but enough to probably impact hands free phone conversations.

I prefer the Ranger because I like the old school round lights which fit perfect on the Ranger. The stealth gives a couple extra inches to fit in parking garages so that's one thing it has over the ranger.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1427391729.920216.jpg

I don't notice it at all around town speeds. It is noticeable at highway speeds. It's not obnoxious but enough to probably impact hands free phone conversations.

I prefer the Ranger because I like the old school round lights which fit perfect on the Ranger. The stealth gives a couple extra inches to fit in parking garages so that's one thing it has over the ranger.

View attachment 133463

Would you recommend getting the ladder and quick disconnects for it too? And thanks by the way, you've been a great help!

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
Would you recommend getting the ladder and quick disconnects for it too? And thanks by the way, you've been a great help!

The ladder is very useful for getting up top to strap stuff down. Most vendors include it for free.

I can't speak to the quick disconnects as I'm pretty cheap and they're pricey. I cheat and only leave 2 bolts installed up top unless I'm carrying a very heavy load which cuts down on removal time.

The ladder is very useful for getting up top to strap stuff down. Most vendors include it for free.

I can't speak to the quick disconnects as I'm pretty cheap and they're pricey. I cheat and only leave 2 bolts installed up top unless I'm carrying a very heavy load which cuts down on removal time.

I'm sure there could be a DIY quick disco but it probably wouldn't be as safe :cheesy:

Exodus 4x4

Literally just finished installing a Gobi stealth on my JKUR. I can tell you this thing is worth every penny. I've always been a truck guy and having this is going to make me feel way better about not having a truck anymore. About to head to Big Bend next weekend to see how accommodating it makes everything. I'm sure it's going to be great though. Mine came with a ladder and wind deflector. I bought it from Alpha Expedition. Not sure if any of the vendors on here carry them, I bought it before I joined. Takes a minute to get it also as they are built as ordered.

4x4radio

I also have the Gobi rack. For me the rack is great and useful for some things. My jeep height, and weight of my canoe combine to make loading and unloading a big pain (don't forget any antennas that will be in the way too). especially after a long day of paddling. If you have a small light kayak you will be OK. I'm now building a trailer for the canoe and kayak
I also remove the rack when it's not needed to save on weight and wind noise, (it does not take vey long).

Top Bottom