So-Cal: Cleghorn, No More!

jesse3638

Hooked
I hadn't heard about or read anything but I wanted to share my findings while running Cleghorn today. My buddy and I put together a last minute run up Cleghorn today. He wanted to see how well his Tacoma on 33's and mild lift would do. I hadn't been up there in a year and a half so figured this trail would push it pretty good for him as it's a good entry level trail. Well as we approached the first climb I noticed one of the off shoots of the main fire road had been fenced off. In the past I remember there was plenty of signage posted in this area noting this was a closed route but attempts to block it with boulders just added to the allure and no one paid much attention, I myself am guilty of ignoring them. Well after the first couple hill climbs we came to the first of the fun and more challenging obstacles. The narrow, rocky, washed out, off camber section. Here I find freshly set fence posts awaiting the installation of cable. I was really surprised they intend to close off the obstacle but I do know a lot of people like to run up there in the mud and it causes trail damage and this portion was badly beat up. As we pressed on we discovered pretty much every single obstacle had freshly set posts and are going to be fenced off and closed. No more pucker hill, poser rock, or any of the more challenging routes. I do believe most of these were illegal routes but I can't say for sure. Nothing was ever said to me in the past by any ranger I'd run into. I feel the forest should manage them as open routes as they are very well know and well established. It's going to take a lot of patrolling by the USFS to keep these fences from getting cut or ripped down and further giving off roaders a bad name. I've seen it a lot in the Juniper Flats area. Looks like Cleghorn will be strictly fire roads now. Just thought I'd share the bad news.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, I'm surprised it took this long to happen. Same thing was done to the Main Divide Road a few years back.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Seriously? What a shame. I was up there a few months ago and everything was open. No posts, fences or wires. :doh::doh::naw:

Jk909

That sucks. I used to go up there all the time. I wonder why they are fencing it off? People must be trashing it.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Seriously? What a shame. I was up there a few months ago and everything was open. No posts, fences or wires. :doh::doh::naw:

Where you up there putting up fences? Because we all know you weren't up there wheeling? :idontknow:

:cheesy:

jesse3638

Hooked
Well if they rip down the fences they will just block the whole thing off.

Yep with the big iron gates and pad locks. I just may have a key to those though..;)

Honestly, I'm surprised it took this long to happen. Same thing was done to the Main Divide Road a few years back.

Yeah the Cleghorn and Juniper Flats areas aren't known for the most responsible off roaders. Couple bad apples spoil the bunch.

Yeah these look to have been put in no sooner than last week judging by the freshly cured concrete and tape still on the ends of the cable.

jesse3638

Hooked
That sucks. I used to go up there all the time. I wonder why they are fencing it off? People must be trashing it.

If I had to guess its due to heavy use while wet and erosion control. A lot of it is really beat up. Or who knows maybe conservation group was up there hiking and speed dialed their congressman..;).

groovebus

The only way to run the Main Divide Road now is from Ortega Hwy. All the roads down are closed due to the Silverado Fire a few months ago. Maple Springs has been closed for a while and Bedford Rd. was finally closed. I wondered when the people at the new fancy golf course were going to get tired of seeing dirty vehicles.

fincher

Yeah. It's a bummer. Have slowly been closing the fun parts. I think pucker pass has been closed for a year or so. Too bad. Been hunting that area since I was little.

cbetts

This was a sad post for me. This was a great spot for people to try harder obstacles by choice. I typically lead groups of various experience levels and let the driver decide if they want to attempt something.

I have some great memories from Cleghorn along with some Kodak moments.
DSC00793.jpg

DSC00763.jpg

DSC00816.jpg

Sorry, no JKs in the group that day.

BitBucket

I ran Cleghorn 3 days ago and saw all the fence posts. Too bad!!!! I live close to Silverado and enjoyed the Silverado, Santiago Peak, Ortega drive. It was a fun trip, not anything tough but fun. Don't go near the Holy Jim road anymore either and hell I could walk to that. If I want some local trails, I guess I am gonna have to move!

Top Bottom