Teraflex hinge carrier?

1BAMF'nJKU

I was looking into purchasing the teraflex hinge tire carrier to support a 35" tire. I have heard some mixed reviews on this product but recently told that it is not the hinge itself giving issues,but the adapter that is sold in the kit or separately that replaces the stock carrier. Anyone have any input on this? If the stock carrier is used in addition to the carrier itself there are no issues? Thanks

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Why would you pay $800 to use the hinges but run the stock carrier?

Look at something that will work for you in the long term. Like a bumper of frame mounted tire carrier. The TF carrier is worthless, dangerous and when it breaks, TF will blame it on you for a faulty install.

MIZZOURA

I purchased the full kit for 38s. The hinge and carrier are very stout. I have had it for 1 year ish and haven't had an issue. I know there is no love out there for teraflex but for me it has been a great product.

Attachments

• 1427089229022.jpg
    1427089229022.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 249

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I purchased the full kit for 38s. The hinge and carrier are very stout. I have had it for 1 year ish and haven't had an issue. I know there is no love out there for teraflex but for me it has been a great product.

Are you running 38's? Have you checked your welds on the brackets? Please do if you haven't.

JAGS

Hooked

A broken clock is right twice. I think the rest of us would simply say keep a VERY close eye on the carrier section for cracks/weak spots.

MIZZOURA

A broken clock is right twice. I think the rest of us would simply say keep a VERY close eye on the carrier section for cracks/weak spots.
Thanks! Always do and always will.

Are you running 38's? Have you checked your welds on the brackets? Please do if you haven't.

I have been keeping a very close eye on it. I'm currently running 37's. And as far as welds these are cast brackets with a plate steel carrier. Maybe spot welds at the jeep body mount points?

JAGS

Hooked
Thanks! Always do and always will.

I have been keeping a very close eye on it. I'm currently running 37's. And as far as welds these are cast brackets with a plate steel carrier. Maybe spot welds at the jeep body mount points?

I see you're kind of new to this forum. I'd suggest you take a look here:

http://wayalife.com/showpost.php?p=57823

Don't want to believe. Search google for teraflex tire carrier breaks/problems/rust. You'll get info from many sources.

whispike

I see you're kind of new to this forum. I'd suggest you take a look here:

http://wayalife.com/showpost.php?p=57823

Don't want to believe. Search google for teraflex tire carrier breaks/problems/rust. You'll get info from many sources.

This thread is a couple of years old now. Any chance that Teraflex has addressed this problem and corrected it in their newer versions? Would be nice to know as I was also considering this but am a little leary I had heard of this problem before.

SaharaJKU

I've been running this for a while with my 35" Nitto Terra Grappler G2's and my 18" KMC wheels. No issues yet and I have checked for cracks and haven't seen nothing yet.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've been running this for a while with my 35" Nitto Terra Grappler G2's and my 18" KMC wheels. No issues yet and I have checked for cracks and haven't seen nothing yet.

"Yet"....

I would want a carrier that I didn't have to keep my eye on

Agreed. The whole point of "upgrading" the tire carrier would be so you wouldn't have to keep an eye on it and worry about it breaking. At least, in my opinion anyway.

For that price your $200 from buying some of the most badass carriers on the market.

And I should note, one that would take the spare OFF the tailgate. EVEN IF the TF carrier were made of kryptonite and would never break, if you catch it on a ledge, you will buckle in your tailgate and potentially break your rear glass if you have a hard top. Trust me, I have seen it happen countless times.

etl330

I would want a tire carrier that I didn't have to keep my eye on.

I don't feel the need to keep an eye on it. This is the only forum I've seen make this big a deal over something that Teraflex seems to have corrected. Most of you probably have zero first hand experience with this carrier let alone with one failing. I don't spend much time here so I must have forgotten that sharing of experiences that don't jive with your agenda aren't permitted. Sorry.

Top Bottom