Speakers

tonytony9

So I am finally getting around to badly needed upgrading of my stock speakers in my 08 wrangler unlimited x w/o infinity sound system.

I have already upgraded the HU awhile back to a much nicer one. The stock HU looks great but just don't have that great of options on it. At least for that year.

I am looking to install new speakers throughout the entire rig. Down the road I am looking to get an amp/subwoofer but for right now I want to see how new speakers and a power pack will sound.

Does any have any experience with the install of speakers or a power pack in a jk? Any recommended brands?

I was going to use Crutchfield and I would rather do it myself. I got estimates from a few stores. I see no reason of spending close to $400 in labor when that could be spent on equipment. If you know how to solder this couldn't be that hard. (At least at my level of equipment).

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The only speakers you'll have issues with are the tweeters. It'll be hard to find an exact match for the factory dash mounts or, at least it was for me back when I tried doing this a few years back. All the other speakers are easy to change out.

srosario

The tweeters on the 2010 are easy swap with the kicker brand.
The sound bar I had to fill it in with insulation foam.

Slappy32

I have JL Audio speakers all around. Separates up front, Marine co-axial in the sound bar and two 12" subs in a cabinet.

For the fronts, I took both boxes out from behind the dash and enlarged the openings with a Dremel until the larger speakers fit. I also used a Dremel for the tweeter tombstones on the dash. Just worked it in a circle until the opening was large enough to press fit the new tweeters in.

For the sound bar, I filled it with pillow stuffing and the new JL's fit inside the sound bar, grill and all. The jeep grill covers fit right over them, with no modification, so you can't even tell there are aftermarket speakers up there.

I can get the model numbers of the speakers if you're interested.

I installed Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1's in the front. I was able to install the tweeters in the factory location and keep the factory housing and grill intact.

The sound bar has infinity Kappa 62 7i.

Everything fit with great, my entire system looks factory. The only thing I modified was a portion of the tweeter by removing the factory driver from it's mount. (I don't totally remember what I did, I'll have to open it up and look to see what I did)

Since you already upgraded your HU I'm assuming you didn't have the factory infinity system in your JK or you bypassed your amp . The both of these speaker sets come with external crossovers, I would run new wire from your HU to the crossover then from the crossover to the speakers.

I stuffed the front boxes with fiberglass. Cotton and other materials will work getting a similar result however fiberglass is the best material...then again its freaking Jeep and you're likely not going to hear a difference.

Last edited:

utiadam

LOSER
I have all JL Audio in mine as well. I have a pretty detailed picture gallery in my build thread "my billet Rubi build." I know its the updated interior but it may still provide some ideas for you.

tonytony9

The only speakers you'll have issues with are the tweeters. It'll be hard to find an exact match for the factory dash mounts or, at least it was for me back when I tried doing this a few years back. All the other speakers are easy to change out.

Ya I am just going to replace with component speakers to make it easier. I think 5 1/4 forget exact size

tonytony9

I have JL Audio speakers all around. Separates up front, Marine co-axial in the sound bar and two 12" subs in a cabinet.

For the fronts, I took both boxes out from behind the dash and enlarged the openings with a Dremel until the larger speakers fit. I also used a Dremel for the tweeter tombstones on the dash. Just worked it in a circle until the opening was large enough to press fit the new tweeters in.

For the sound bar, I filled it with pillow stuffing and the new JL's fit inside the sound bar, grill and all. The jeep grill covers fit right over them, with no modification, so you can't even tell there are aftermarket speakers up there.

I can get the model numbers of the speakers if you're interested.

I have decided to go with a jl audio woofer setup and I think I am going to run kicker speakers with a 4 channel amp. If you could send me pictures of how your tweeters look that would be awesome!

JakeJK

For those of you who put JL audio in does anyone know if the JL audio c2-650 will fit in the front and the JL audio c2-650x will fit in the bar? Thanks

2010 sport utility by the way

Last edited:

Judesign

Caught the Bug
I went with Polk db tweeters in the factory spots and they sound great. I used the kicker 6.5 speakers that are plug and play and they sound great too.

Went with an alpine navi/dvd player with a power pack from alpine and love it.

Finished it off with a box I made myself with 2 12 inch alpine type r subs and an audioq 1200 watt amp.

Sound is fantastic and my goal was to be able to really hear music with top and doors off. Couldn't be happier. Will hurt your ears on the highway.

Oh and I have never done a stereo install before and it was honestly pretty easy. Even threw in a backup camera with a toggle switch. Definitely something you can handle yourself

Last edited:

Slappy32

I have decided to go with a jl audio woofer setup and I think I am going to run kicker speakers with a 4 channel amp. If you could send me pictures of how your tweeters look that would be awesome!

Here you go.

IMG_2683.JPG

Slappy32

For those of you who put JL audio in does anyone know if the JL audio c2-650 will fit in the front and the JL audio c2-650x will fit in the bar? Thanks

I am using the C3-650 up front and the Marine MX650-CCX in the soundbar. To fit the C3-650 up front, some modding will be needed. You will have to remove both boxes in the dash and enlarge the holes to fit the speakers, but it is not difficult. Do not follow the directions online that say you have to remove the whole dashboard, you can do it by only removing a few screws and rotating them out. The tweeters holes need to be enlarged too, which I did with a Dremel.

The rear speakers fit behind the factory grills in the soundbar with no modifications.

I used JL M600/6 and M600/1 marine amps in the well in the back. I cut a piece of Star Board to make a level floor to mount them on.

Amps
IMG_2120.JPG

Subwoofer Cabinet with dual 12" JL Subs
IMG_2333.jpg

JakeJK

Okay awesome thanks, so basically all you have to do to be able to fit the Jls in the front is sand down the inner rings of the enclosure that comes in the jeep then screw the speaker into place once it fits? Then the same thing with the tweeter minus the screws

utiadam

LOSER

I have the c5-650 front and rear. I'm not sure on modification required for yours but mine only required me to make new screw holes to hold in the speakers. The actual hole for the speaker was perfect. The tweeter pods did need to be modified. I have the ZR tweeters front and rear.

COLOMW3

I have a 2012 JK, replaced the sound bar speakers with Polk Audio DB651 and DB651S in the dash (need slim mount to fit behind grills in dash). Left everything else factory (Alpine system). Sounds great. Boom mats made a huge difference with the hard top on. Stuffed the boxes with fiber fill. One thing I noticed was the factory speakers are sealed to the box, I didn't do this at first and lost bass, then I hot glued around the rim of the speaker, big difference. That's my experience...

JakeJK

I have the c5-650 front and rear. I'm not sure on modification required for yours but mine only required me to make new screw holes to hold in the speakers. The actual hole for the speaker was perfect. The tweeter pods did need to be modified. I have the ZR tweeters front and rear.

And your running these speakers in the 2011-2014 interior? In that case I believe the c2s should work for me because the speaker setups are nearly the same throughout the interiors. Minus a few changes with the tweeter pods. So that's good news.
Thanks! Appreciate the help now gotta figure out where I can find a deal on the speakers :D

utiadam

LOSER
And your running these speakers in the 2011-2014 interior? In that case I believe the c2s should work for me because the speaker setups are nearly the same throughout the interiors. Minus a few changes with the tweeter pods. So that's good news.
Thanks! Appreciate the help now gotta figure out where I can find a deal on the speakers :D

Yup, mine is a 2013.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1427517943.572568.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1427517977.364476.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1427518018.533677.jpg
Those adapter rings were when I had 5.25" Rockfords. The c5 are 6.5" and fit without them.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1427518148.668005.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1427518193.165707.jpg

Top Bottom