Suspension Question - yes another

hbkid22

Question -

What is the best way when you lift the jeep to get the stretch back without doing a full blown custom setup? I have a 2dr and want to redo the suspension over time (coilovers ultimately)......Plan to keep it low (3.5" lift) and with 37s. I assume I need to get all new control arms (front/rear) and adjustable and get the drag link flip kit? Is a long arm kit even worth it and will it stretch it out that much for the price?

Can I start to get the adjustable arms now and piece by piece replace or do you need to do everything at once? If I can piece it together whats the first thing to replace?

Right now I am sitting around a 4" pro comp lift (I think - came with the jeep so dont know the height) and 35s on a D30. Adjustable track bar, JKS disconnects but everything else is stock in terms of the suspension (even drive shafts).

:beer:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you want to do a proper stretch, there's no way around doing it without doing a lot of custom work. Installing longer control arms will just leave you with control arms that are too long. Even one inch will give you a host of problems - see link below:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?25668-Rock-Krawler-rear-suspension-1-quot-quot-Stretch-quot

If you're just going to be running 37's, just focus on keeping your ride height low and don't worry about trying to stretch your Jeep as nothing short of 10" will make enough of a difference to matter anyway.

hbkid22

I saw that thread....Need to read it a bit more in depth but will steer clear of the long arms unless I can go full blown Vengeance!

I will stick to keeping a low ride height. And I assume I still need to get adjustable arms to help bring the caster back in place to do a proper set up?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I saw that thread....Need to read it a bit more in depth but will steer clear of the long arms unless I can go full blown Vengeance!

I will stick to keeping a low ride height. And I assume I still need to get adjustable arms to help bring the caster back in place to do a proper set up?

To be clear, there's nothing wrong with a true "long arm" kit as that would require you to relocate your frame mounts and correct your suspension geometry. This is a good thing. It's arms that are "too long" that I would steer clear of.

Yes, adjustable front lowers at bare minimum are what you want to set your caster. If you have a new rear drive shaft, adjustable rear uppers too to set your pinion angle.

hbkid22

To be clear, there's nothing wrong with a true "long arm" kit as that would require you to relocate your frame mounts and correct your suspension geometry. This is a good thing. It's arms that are "too long" that I would steer clear of.

Yes, adjustable front lowers at bare minimum are what you want to set your caster. If you have a new rear drive shaft, adjustable rear uppers too to set your pinion angle.

Ok got it. That makes sense. Just trying to gather some knowledge before really digging into a new set up so I am not completely lost.

One more question - can you get a true long arm kit while keeping the suspension you have or does the long arm kit normally go hand in hand with a specific lift? I am close to Northride in Colorado and I will give them a call as well.

Coloradan

Ok got it. That makes sense. Just trying to gather some knowledge before really digging into a new set up so I am not completely lost.

One more question - can you get a true long arm kit while keeping the suspension you have or does the long arm kit normally go hand in hand with a specific lift? I am close to Northride in Colorado and I will give them a call as well.

You should be able to just do the long-arm upgrade kit which is just as and brackets. You can reuse your shocks and springs.

hbkid22

When you do a true long arm kit, how much stretch do you get or does it more or less put it back to the stock wheel base?

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
When you do a true long arm kit, how much stretch do you get or does it more or less put it back to the stock wheel base?

Back to factory. Doesn't stretch it. moves the center control arm mounts closer to the center of the jeep.

hbkid22

[QUOTE =olram30;479181]Back to factory. Doesn't stretch it. moves the center control arm mounts closer to the center of the jeep.[/QUOTE]

That's what I thought but wanted to make sure. Thanks.

Top Bottom