V8 Conversions

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Ive been researching V8 conversions for a little while now. When you actually pick up the phone and start talking to people, the information shared is far different than the neutered/filtered information that is on the interwebz. The LS guys all claim ultimate reliability, and a GM support infrastructure that allows for a substantially improved aftermarket. The LS guys claim that the Hemi's have some cooling issues and that the lack of Mopar support for aftermarket tuning severely limits the transmission and transfer case options. Some (not all) of the Hemi guys clain that there is still fine tuning necessary for the LS swaps to truly "play nice" with the Mopar Canbus. Ive heard that an Atlas 4 speed is not a good option and I should go with a 2 speed. Then I've heard the exact opposite. Ive heard that the only way to run an atlas on a Hemi swap is to run a kill switch for the ABS when 4wd is engaged and that the 4 speed is a no-go (except for one vendor).

What I end up with is the continued conclusion that the V8 swap is still problematic. Ive been talking to a few well known vendors and site supporters about options and am leaning heavily one way, but haven't completely decided. What Im hoping for is the "behind the scenes" feedback. If anyone who has an LS conversion or a 6.4L hemi conversion cares to share their personal contact information, that would be great. Just trying to get some real world experiences. PM me if possible.

Last edited:

MTG

Caught the Bug
Claims information from vendors is "far different than the neutered/filtered information" that is on the internet, then seeks opinions from the internet, but then asks for it to be done via PM and not publicly? :idontknow:

:cheesy:

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Claims information from vendors is "far different than the neutered/filtered information" that is on the internet, then seeks opinions from the internet, but then asks for it to be done via PM and not publicly? :idontknow:

:cheesy:

Yes, I know it was kind of a schitzo, bi-polar post, but the information Im getting seems to be laced with contradictions and dual personalities as well....hence the dilemma and the analysis paralysis. When I was doing the DTD conversion, I got some of the best information via PM. Just trying to solicit some more information.

Last edited:

trailless

Caught the Bug
No V10 conversion?

Anyways, there seems to be a handful of people on here running engine swaps. The first that comes to mind if WAYALIFE, maybe shoot him a PM with some specific questions.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

sparkymoffett

Hit up Weston from Trail Jeeps. He doesn't have the capability to lie. He'll give nothing but straight forward answers.
#trailjeeps

jeeps123

Im waiting to see someone do the first Hellcat transplant into a 4dr Wrangler.

Then I'll avoid all the mistakes and drop that drivetrain in one myself :)

I may be partial since I've already started an LS swap but I've done a TON of research and to me it was a clear difference. I really feel it depends on your driving style and goals.

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug
Im waiting to see someone do the first Hellcat transplant into a 4dr Wrangler.

Then I'll avoid all the mistakes and drop that drivetrain in one myself :)

I don't think it will be any different then any other 6.4 Hemi conversion being routinely done by several shops out there.....The only thing that may stop you is getting your hands on a Hellcat motor.......not sure they are sold over the counter to the public just yet.......that being said........having 707hp on tap in a trail Jeep to me is just overkill.......give me a 403hp LS and call it a day...........that will be my next major upgrade after the one I have going on now......

~Woodrow~

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
I think the decision is different based in what generation of jk you have as well and varies greatly by engine choice. I know folks running the non vvt hemi with 545 rfe trans. Would not go that route, the torque/power band is high in the Rev range. I also know folks running the 5.7 vvt hemi and 6.4 hemi with the new a580 trans 12+. Both are great. Two friends are running motech, one ls3 and one 6.2 vortec from an escalade (same as eddie). Again both do well. If you have a 12+ there is also the bruiser ls option now that uses the new a580 trans but swaps engines. I've been in them all but the bruiser. I'd say in my opinion if you have an 07-11 MoTech ls swap probably the best. The 545 trans isn't nearly as refined as the gm 6l80e. If you have a 12+ the 6.4l hemi is the best in terms of being integrated and the a580 trans is a great trans.

Top Bottom