Lift / Spacers?

AZRockJK

So since Im on a budget Im trying to decide the next step I want to take to be efficient on the trail while I save up for a bigger lift and wheels. Im running 285/70/17 duratracs on stock jk rims and noticed the rubbing I was expecting on broken arrow trail last weekend. My question is do I need a lift to get rid of the rubbing or will some spidertrax spacers do for now?

Last edited:

RockyJk

Was it rubbing on the swaybar or on the fenders? If on the sway bar some wheel spacers will fix that if on the fenders some coil spacers will help, I have the same size tire as you with a 1.5 coil spacer mine doesn't rub
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1427254023.061360.jpg

AZRockJK

Was it rubbing on the swaybar or on the fenders? If on the sway bar some wheel spacers will fix that if on the fenders some coil spacers will help, I have the same size tire as you with a 1.5 coil spacer mine doesn't rub
View attachment 133139

Thanks for the tip. I noticed it mostly when turning. I guess Ill have to flex test it to see where the rubbing is happening.

cbmatt66

You could also put a washer behind the nut for the steering stop. This will eliminate rubbing on the sway bar as well.
I added 2 but 1 may work.
IMG_0809.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So since Im on a budget Im trying to decide the next step I want to take to be efficient on the trail while I save up for a bigger lift and wheels. Im running 285/70/17 duratracs on stock jk rims and noticed the rubbing I was expecting on broken arrow trail last weekend. My question is do I need a lift to get rid of the rubbing or will some spidertrax spacers do for now?

You really need to be running wheel spacers with these tires. While rubbing things like the bumper or frame rail at a full turn isn't a big deal, on stock wheels with NO spacers, I have seen where 285's would catch on the sway bar links at a full stuff and tear the sidewall. A small 2" coil spacer lift or even a leveling kit can be had for cheap and will get rid of the fender rubbing at a full flex too.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I had 285/70r17s on my 08 JK with wheel spacers and had no rubbing issues on suspension parts just like what others have mentioned. I did however get some rubbing on fender flare or body once when it stuffed a front tire so I started looking at leveling kits and lifts up to a 2.5in budget boost but ended up selling the jeep.

AZRockJK

You really need to be running wheel spacers with these tires. While rubbing things like the bumper or frame rail at a full turn isn't a big deal, on stock wheels with NO spacers, I have seen where 285's would catch on the sway bar links at a full stuff and tear the sidewall. A small 2" coil spacer lift or even a leveling kit can be had for cheap and will get rid of the fender rubbing at a full flex too.

That's good to know, Eddie. Thanks for the warning on that as well. Im going to make sure I get this corrected before hitting the trail again.

Thanks for all the insight and advice everyone!

AZRockJK

Just read through the Spidertrax spacer and 2.5 budget boost write-ups. Thanks for the awesome information and planning to install these in the next couple of weeks with a buddy of mine who has some experience installing both!

cbmatt66

Good luck and have fun with your build. I'm going to do something similar. Prob. 2" lift and 1.5 wheel spacers.

AZRockJK

After doing some research and shopping here's the list I've come up with which should work with my current budget. Let me know what y'all think pros and cons.

TeraFlex 2.5" Budget Boost & Shock Adapters
Rough Country Front Track Bar Bracket
JK Draglink Flip Kit by EVO MFG
Spidertrax Jeep 1.75" Thick Wheel Spacers

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
After doing some research and shopping here's the list I've come up with which should work with my current budget. Let me know what y'all think pros and cons.

TeraFlex 2.5" Budget Boost & Shock Adapters
Rough Country Front Track Bar Bracket
JK Draglink Flip Kit by EVO MFG
Spidertrax Jeep 1.75" Thick Wheel Spacers

no need for the rough country bracket, evo flip kit comes with a front track bar bracket. But I skip the evo flip kit with a budget boost. Spidertrax are the best wheel spacers, but I would go with 1.5"

AZRockJK

no need for the rough country bracket, evo flip kit comes with a front track bar bracket. But I skip the evo flip kit with a budget boost. Spidertrax are the best wheel spacers, but I would go with 1.5"

Thanks olram30. What about the Rock Krawler 2.5 Inch Stock Mod Lift Kit as another alternative? Seems like a decent kit for the price. Might only need shock and brakeline adapters with it from the specs.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Thanks olram30. What about the Rock Krawler 2.5 Inch Stock Mod Lift Kit as another alternative? Seems like a decent kit for the price. Might only need shock and brakeline adapters with it from the specs.

That a really incomplete kit. You will get more than 2.5". Nothing wrong with a budget boost. I'd run that and drive your jeep around. You mind find that's all you need.

Top Bottom