Death Wobble - 2015 JKUR

KICKROX

Well,

Today, after owning 4 jeeps and now on my 5th jeep. I experienced the all mighty death wobble and let me tell you, it scared the piss out of me! :icon_crazy: The only thing I can attribute it to is that I recently installed a FOX 2.0 Steering Stabilizer shock with a Rough Country JK Steering Stabilizer relocation bracket.

It all started after I installed the relocation bracket which was about a week after I installed the shock... with only the shock it worked fine but then after I installed the relocation bracket I noticed my steering wheel got off-center and got a little loose on the highway and today while driving about 35 mph and hitting a manhole cover it started.. shook the hell of my front end and only stopped after i slowed way down so needless to say I'm probably going to end up removing the relocation bracket.

I do have a check up tomorrow with 4 Wheel Parts here in sparks so I'll have them take a look at it before I do but I just wanted to post this in case it might help someone else in any way.

BoroJEEPer

I just looked up the bracket kit and I see it bolts to the track bar mount using the trackbar's bolt. Your bolt is probably a little loose, it does not take much and your trackbar will be able to slide a little bit on the bolt (the gap between the bolt and the trackbar bushing inner sleeve diameter), which will cause death wobble (scares the crap out of ya). Crank it down tight and you should be good.

Darin

No matter what, if you don't retorque the trackbar after each and every episode of DW, you'll just be chasing a ghost.
Also, don't expect much help from 4WP with this issue.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I'm interested to hear if 4wheel Parts tries to sell you a bunch more crap to "fix" the problem.

It's a little late now, but the stock steering stabilizer works just fine.

Like was said above, check the torque on your track bar bolts and make sure the fox bracket isn't causing any play.

BoroJEEPer

It looks like that bolt should be torqued to 125 ft/lbs. If your don't have a torque wrench and your using a 3/8" drive ratchet you probably can not get it that tight with out breaking the ratchet. You should use a 1/2" drive and crank it down TIGHT. Then retorque when you can find a torque wrench.

Darin

This. I got DW, and was skeptical, but re-torquing solved it. I hope at least.

Lol, wanna go for a wild ride? Put balance beads in a set of 40's that have static electricity in them. Beads were stuck all over the inside of the tires, not at all what they were supposed to do.

desertrunner

I did NOT use a torque wrench.. I will give that a try.. thanks guys.

As a guy who just re did a ton on my front suspension and took the time to buy a nice torque wrench and do it right this time I can definitely say that needs to be what you try first. If you think you can get a track bar bolt to 125 ft lbs with just a 1/2 ratchet, put a good torque wrench to it then break out that 1/2 ratchet and see if you can get it off... youll be amazed at how much tighter 125 ft lbs is than you think.

Top Bottom