Tire Cupping

TheStick

I am starting to see some cupping on my front driver side tire and curious what might be causing it. Shocks only have about 22k miles on them, so they should be good. I have 40k on the Jeep so thinking I might be due for ball joints.

The Jeep rides fine, not noticing much of a change there. Any ideas on the most likely culprit?

I am starting to see some cupping on my front driver side tire and curious what might be causing it. Shocks only have about 22k miles on them, so they should be good. I have 40k on the Jeep so thinking I might be due for ball joints.

The Jeep rides fine, not noticing much of a change there. Any ideas on the most likely culprit?

Is it on the outside of the tire only? If it is just on the outside then I would change your ball joints and if you have not already done so install the inner gussets.

I would also check you tire pressure.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Definitely sounds like you have something that is allowing for too much movement. Ball joints or unit bearings are likely your culprit.

ArmyofMike

When's the last time your rotated tires? Doing so every 3k miles will help. Although there must be a problem on that side if only that tire is cupping.

TheStick

I'm late on tire rotation, been almost 10k :/

The cupping is more in the middle than the outside.

I was planning on doing ball joints while I add gussets here soon anyways, so hopefully that will be it.

Rotating tires this weekend!

ArmyofMike

Last edited:
I'm late on tire rotation, been almost 10k :/

The cupping is more in the middle than the outside.

I was planning on doing ball joints while I add gussets here soon anyways, so hopefully that will be it.

Rotating tires this weekend!

I would check your tire pressure. running a high tire pressure will cause cupping. I am running about 28 PSI in the Trail Grapplers and they are doing great.

TheStick

I would check your tire pressure. running a high tire pressure will cause cupping. I am running about 28 PSI in the Trail Grapplers and they are doing great.

I'm at 28lbs as well. I will check things out more when I rotate this weekend.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Top Bottom