Hydrolock? Or what...

Orage_Jeeper

Hey all, I know that I am still very new to this forum and not well known quite yet but I need some other opinions. So today I went out wheeling and I stumbled across a stream that was moving along pretty well because of all the recent rain here. Well, I started playing around and even though I consciously knew I had to be careful not to get water up by the intake because I have a CAI. But I pushed the limit further than I should have and... GULP! I rolled out thankfully before the motor stopped on me so it was on dry land when it died. Anyways I knew exactly what had happened so I put it in park and opened the hood to a wet air filter. I pulled the filter and the pipe to the throttle body and dried out as much water as I could have. I knew I should have pulled the plugs and checked over everything but I was without the proper tools so the only chance I had to get off the trail was to try and restart it. I don't know how but it did manage to choke back into life. So my question is, what else should I do? I've already confirmed that there's no water in the oil and the air filter is dry now but what else? After the incident I did have to drive it about 25 minutes back to camp and it seemed okay but I'm a bit unsure now if there's anything that needs to be gone through.
Thanks!

toxicwaste29

A lot of the can am guys do this not sure how it will work on a large engine though:

1 drain air box clean filter drain vent lines clutch cover 2 tip on end drain exhaust,3 drain old oil, 4 add diesel to fill line remove filter, 5 pull plugs 6 crank it over with plugs out till all water is out,7 clean plugs,8 drain diesel,9 fill half diesel half oil 1 litre of each 10 instal plugs and run with diesel oil mix for 1-2 mins,11.drain,12 add cheap oil,13 start bike run at idle for 5 mins and drain if clean and no water add filter and good oil if not clean repeat step 11-13 ,check tranny and diff oils

Jk909

If you got water up to your cai it was definitely past your vent lines. Chances are your diffs and transfer case sucked it in too. A safe bet would be to change ALL fluids.

Orage_Jeeper

If you got water up to your cai it was definitely past your vent lines. Chances are your diffs and transfer case sucked it in too. A safe bet would be to change ALL fluids.

Nah, it wasn't up that high, I just happened to be going fast enough to move enough water over the hood and through the grill to get into that area. It was really more of a sip rather than a gulp but yet still enough to shut the motor down. Water at most was 2'.

Jk909

Yup it can happen like that too lol. I loved the straight 6 motor that my old jeep had. I hydro locked that thing 3 times before I even changed the oil.

Top Bottom