PDA

View Full Version : Hydrolock? Or what...

Orage_Jeeper
03-27-2015, 10:10 PM
Hey all, I know that I am still very new to this forum and not well known quite yet but I need some other opinions. So today I went out wheeling and I stumbled across a stream that was moving along pretty well because of all the recent rain here. Well, I started playing around and even though I consciously knew I had to be careful not to get water up by the intake because I have a CAI. But I pushed the limit further than I should have and... GULP! I rolled out thankfully before the motor stopped on me so it was on dry land when it died. Anyways I knew exactly what had happened so I put it in park and opened the hood to a wet air filter. I pulled the filter and the pipe to the throttle body and dried out as much water as I could have. I knew I should have pulled the plugs and checked over everything but I was without the proper tools so the only chance I had to get off the trail was to try and restart it. I don't know how but it did manage to choke back into life. So my question is, what else should I do? I've already confirmed that there's no water in the oil and the air filter is dry now but what else? After the incident I did have to drive it about 25 minutes back to camp and it seemed okay but I'm a bit unsure now if there's anything that needs to be gone through.
Thanks!

toxicwaste29
03-27-2015, 10:24 PM
A lot of the can am guys do this not sure how it will work on a large engine though:

1 drain air box clean filter drain vent lines clutch cover 2 tip on end drain exhaust,3 drain old oil, 4 add diesel to fill line remove filter, 5 pull plugs 6 crank it over with plugs out till all water is out,7 clean plugs,8 drain diesel,9 fill half diesel half oil 1 litre of each 10 instal plugs and run with diesel oil mix for 1-2 mins,11.drain,12 add cheap oil,13 start bike run at idle for 5 mins and drain if clean and no water add filter and good oil if not clean repeat step 11-13 ,check tranny and diff oils

Jk909
03-27-2015, 10:32 PM
If you got water up to your cai it was definitely past your vent lines. Chances are your diffs and transfer case sucked it in too. A safe bet would be to change ALL fluids.

Orage_Jeeper
03-27-2015, 10:47 PM
If you got water up to your cai it was definitely past your vent lines. Chances are your diffs and transfer case sucked it in too. A safe bet would be to change ALL fluids.

Nah, it wasn't up that high, I just happened to be going fast enough to move enough water over the hood and through the grill to get into that area. It was really more of a sip rather than a gulp but yet still enough to shut the motor down. Water at most was 2'.

Jk909
03-27-2015, 11:04 PM
Yup it can happen like that too lol. I loved the straight 6 motor that my old jeep had. I hydro locked that thing 3 times before I even changed the oil.

Orage_Jeeper
03-27-2015, 11:38 PM
Nice! Yeah I guess I'll be looking into a snorkel here soon 😂