Traction Control Light Stays On

K.D.C.H

So in my 2015 JK sport the traction control light has just started to come on. The TC system itself is not engaged while the light is on, it's just the light that stays on.

It was on yesterday for about 15 to 20 minutes on a smooth and bump free road and then it automatically turned off. Last night it came back on and stayed on and now this morning as soon as I started the jeep and took it for a drive it stayed on as well.

Any ideas?

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1427562634.876897.jpg

So in my 2015 JK sport the traction control light has just started to come on. The TC system itself is not engaged while the light is on, it's just the light that stays on.

It was on yesterday for about 15 to 20 minutes on a smooth and bump free road and then it automatically turned off. Last night it came back on and stayed on and now this morning as soon as I started the jeep and took it for a drive it stayed on as well.

Any ideas?

View attachment 133714

Steering wheel straight? That's the biggest culprit.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Since it is just the TC light, I'd probably double check your steering wheel alignment like petey said. It doesn't take much misalignment to trip the light.

I had a wheel speed sensor wire get rubbed through, however, it caused the abs light to come on along with the TC light. Since your light comes and goes, I can't imagine it would be a hard failure like a broken wire.

Good luck!

Ok cool, it's a little off right now and was going to be on my list of things to do before this weekend lol. I'll check it out and post an update. Thanks Jason

After you straighten it up it may take a bit to go off but it should take care of it. :thumb:

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Ok cool, it's a little off right now and was going to be on my list of things to do before this weekend lol. I'll check it out and post an update. Thanks Jason

Gotta love when your to do list keeps growing right before a trip! :) The good thing is straightening the wheel is quick fix!

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Do you have a procal?

The Procal works great, however, to really do it right with the Procal, don't you really need swivel plates such as those found on an alignment rack? I tried using the Procal at home and fount it to be an unnecessary step. What worked really well for me was go for a drive, note where the steering wheel was when driving straight, then head back home. As I pulled jet the garage, I drive straight ahead with the steering wheel positioned at the noted position from the test drive. Then, I climbed under the Jeep and made the adjustment to the drag link until the wheel was straight. You might have to make one final tweak after another test drive, but then you should be spot on.

All of that said, a couple of months ago I got an alignment at Big-O. With the front tires on the swivel plates, we used the Procal to set the steering wheel to center and used the alignment machine to set the tires straight ahead. Worked like a champ and the tech loved it!

K.D.C.H

Since it is just the TC light, I'd probably double check your steering wheel alignment like petey said. It doesn't take much misalignment to trip the light.

I had a wheel speed sensor wire get rubbed through, however, it caused the abs light to come on along with the TC light. Since your light comes and goes, I can't imagine it would be a hard failure like a broken wire.

Good luck!

Thanks so much.

After you straighten it up it may take a bit to go off but it should take care of it. :thumb:

Sounds good. Thanks for the fast info

Gotta love when your to do list keeps growing right before a trip! :) The good thing is straightening the wheel is quick fix!

No kidding, hoping that's all it is lol

Do you have a procal?

No but I have the Flashcal. My computers are all Macs do I need to find a PC to update and register it before I can tune the Jeep.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
The Procal works great, however, to really do it right with the Procal, don't you really need swivel plates such as those found on an alignment rack? I tried using the Procal at home and fount it to be an unnecessary step. What worked really well for me was go for a drive, note where the steering wheel was when driving straight, then head back home. As I pulled jet the garage, I drive straight ahead with the steering wheel positioned at the noted position from the test drive. Then, I climbed under the Jeep and made the adjustment to the drag link until the wheel was straight. You might have to make one final tweak after another test drive, but then you should be spot on.

All of that said, a couple of months ago I got an alignment at Big-O. With the front tires on the swivel plates, we used the Procal to set the steering wheel to center and used the alignment machine to set the tires straight ahead. Worked like a champ and the tech loved it!

Usually takes me a couple tries. Center it, drive it then double check. Just asking if you had one. There is a feature to lower or shut off your tpms also.
Edit, I quoted the wrong guy.
You both have white jeeps. Please forgive me

What worked really well for me was go for a drive, note where the steering wheel was when driving straight, then head back home. As I pulled jet the garage, I drive straight ahead with the steering wheel positioned at the noted position from the test drive. Then, I climbed under the Jeep and made the adjustment to the drag link until the wheel was straight. You might have to make one final tweak after another test drive, but then you should be spot on.

I have a procal and do it this way every time.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Usually takes me a couple tries. Center it, drive it then double check. Just asking if you had one. There is a feature to lower or shut off your tpms also.
Edit, I quoted the wrong guy.
You both have white jeeps. Please forgive me

It's OK, we won't hold it against you! :)

olram30

Mine is white too :D I probably should've stated that a little more clear in the original post. Hopefully doesn't change how people feel about me :cheesy:

I have one too, I lose track. But anyways, I don't know if flashcal has a feature like that

olram30

No I don't think it does

Not really needed, but nice feature. Just find a nice level parking lot, drive it and let the jeep go straight, if your wheel is off you'll notice. I have used masking tape on the top center of the wheel so I can see from the front. Makes it easier. 15 mm wrench and really easy to do.

K.D.C.H

Got it all taken are of. Centered the wheel and the light went away. Thanks everyone for your help. Now to get back to the rest of my to do list

olram30

Got it all taken are of. Centered the wheel and the light went away. Thanks everyone for your help. Now to get back to the rest of my to do list

Sweet, what other little things you have going on or planned?

Top Bottom