Rock lights. Yes or no

jasonj123

I have a very basic question for the group. Does anyone run with rock lights? I have been toying with the idea of getting lux rocklights for those times we are late getting off the trail or for the occassional night run. Any thoughts on what works best and where you put them would be appreciated.

07JKSahara

Id say most of us have them. It's cheap insurance if you're on the trail at night. Check out the Mauser build thread. He put them in clever places.

These are mine, pretty simple.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1427588813.320571.jpg . ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1427588822.740031.jpg .

jasonj123

Thanks for the reply. jow many are you running? I'm thinking that 8 would give me full coverage. I will definitely check out Mausers thread.

spinuck

I bought 20 of the little square LEDs from amazon for $14. they seem to work well. They put off as much light as any of the other ones I've seen and so far have held up to mud, snow and water well.
rock lights.jpg

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
There are a few more shots in my build thread, but here are a few highlights.

The 9W lights are $18 on Amazon for 12 of them. I installed ten total which left me with two spares. Worked out well as one needed to be swapped out.

These probably take the trophy for the cheapest thing I've installed on my Jeep and they work like a champ! :)

1427594371288.jpg

1427594392125.jpg

1427594424657.jpg

1427594442545.jpg

Josh27

Haven't really been in a situation where I needed them for spotting but I have used them for camping lights and such. Plus they look good in pictures :rock:

The kit I got is from xk glow, 10 pods of 6 LEDs. It was originally for a motorcycle so I had to extend the wires, but they do make a kit for rock lights. spent about $60 on my setup.

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_00091.jpg

Hells revenge night.jpg

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have a very basic question for the group. Does anyone run with rock lights? I have been toying with the idea of getting lux rocklights for those times we are late getting off the trail or for the occassional night run. Any thoughts on what works best and where you put them would be appreciated.

As mentioned, most of us run rock lights. I personally prefer NOT to wheel at night but, there are more times than not that we end up doing it just because it happens. I should note that you don't need them to be crazy bright and you DON'T want them positioned in a way that will blind your spotter. The whole point of them is NOT to look great but rather, to help your spotter guide you without having to run your headlights.

07JKSahara

... I should note that you don't need them to be crazy bright and you DON'T want them positioned in a way that will blind your spotter. The whole point of them is NOT to look great but rather, to help your spotter guide you without having to run your headlights.

I'm glad someone said this, I should have said it too. Remember that your spotters eyes will have adjusted to night pretty well by then, you don't want to spot beam them. Subtle yet effective might be the key on rock lights.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
I'm glad someone said this, I should have said it too. Remember that your spotters eyes will have adjusted to night pretty well by then, you don't want to spot beam them. Subtle yet effective might be the key on rock lights.

Bingo!

On the rock lights I recently installed, they are LED and they are incredibly bright. Additionally, if you happen to be looking right into the focal beam, it's blinding. Keeping the lights tucked up and out of sight will help make them more effective for the spotter.

Top Bottom