Gearing

zzachm18

09 X, 2door auto. Planning on rock krawler 2.5 stock mod with 35s. Is regearing necessary? I know I would lose power but how long could I wait to regear? I was also wondering if 5.13 gearing is sufficient.

noroad

09 X, 2door auto. Planning on rock krawler 2.5 stock mod with 35s. Is regearing necessary? I know I would lose power but how long could I wait to regear? I was also wondering if 5.13 gearing is sufficient.

You can get away with waiting for a bit if you have a programmer to change the tire size so that you dont blow your tranny looking for gears, Also if you only have a dana 30 up front i wouldnt go over 4.88s.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Depends on what gears you have now. If you're running 3.73's, you can get by without regearing so long as you calibrate your speedometer as that will control your shift points. If you are running 3.21's, you will be hurting with 35's. You can do it but it will be a bummer. 5.13's would be a great ratio but in a Dana 30, the pinion is really small and will be a weak point. I would recommend that you stick with 4.88.

dwmgcs

I have an 07' 2dr auto, it originally had 4.10's in it and when I went to 35's it became a real pig and overdrive was useless, I put 5.13's in it and it has a better powerband in it than it did with stock gears and stock tires and overdrive is usable again. With an auto I would definitely recommend 5.13's, however Eddie has a point, the pinion for a dana 30 is pretty small and very susceptible to shearing although I haven't had any issues, I'm very aware and prepared now to upgrade the axle if I break it, but thats just me.

Top Bottom