Questions: xmission, spacers, leveling kit, etc... need some reinforcements...

joshuaj21

First, I want to give a HUGE Thanks to everyone on WAL... So much info learned here through your experiences, knowledge, and passion for Jeeping. There have been catastrophe's and unnecessary expenses avoided thanks to y'all. I haven't had to start new threads (until now) since all my questions before had been answered! For that, I sincerely thank you, all of you...

With that said... I am seeking a bit more support/guidance for some questions I have. (Apologies if these have been covered before, but I looked for as many things I could find answers to.)

I haven't made a lot of upgrades or changes to my 2011 JK since we bought her, but I just rolled 51,5XX miles and it's finally starting to happen! Thanks to your insight on WAL, I made the purchase of two sets of Truck-Lite LED headlights for my 2011 JK and my wife's 2014 JKU Willy and we couldn't be happier with them. Only issue now are the fog lights. Mainly for appearances vs function, would be nice to have them match the Truck-Lites (as close as possible, without spending too much).

Ordered my 1.5" spacers, should arrive this week. They are made by Titan, found a good deal for set of 4 new. Couldn't find many reviews, but more importantly nothing negative either. My tires are almost ready to be replaced and I've read about as many of the 220+ pages of that thread as I could without losing consciousness...lol. JK is stock corner to corner, like the rims, they stay. (Prelim: plan to trim fenders in the next few months. Looking at starting with TF Leveling Kit (1155200) and replacing springs, shocks, etc later.) That in mind, and knowing a 315/70R17 COULD fit, is that necessarily the right answer? See that a lot of folks speak highly of the 285/70(or 75)R17 as well. No rock crawling or serious trails where I am, but occasional off-road, finding mud when possible is about it. I do appreciate the aggressive look and it's always better to have the capability, rather than to wish you had it when you need it... So, technically, all I will have is the wheel spacers as of now and I'm torn between these two sizes (which seem to be the most common sizes where I am): 285/75R17 and 315/70R17. Also, definitely going with Duratracs. No-brainer in my mind. Also, when I do add the TF LK and the rest of my plans fall into place will the size tire I choose still look as awesome as it does in my head?

At what point will I need to look into the Flashpaq or equivalent programmer? Are they really necessary for a LK and these size tires? I have no intention of going any larger with the tires or a lift (at least not in the next 5 years +), but I do enjoy the gas mileage I get and will keep it if I can (roughly 20 mpg or more if on a road trip). I expect that will go down slightly with the LK and the tires, but trying to stay optimistic and a realist at the same time... difficult, I know.

Is there a transmission filter in the 6 spd manual? Just changed my oil and filter to Amsoil. Going full synthetic from now on and doing it myself as our local dealership proved to be more dishonest than originally anticipated. (friend almost got taken advantage of at same place, long story short, they wanted $900+ for a brakes including calipers. Told him that was horsesh*t and I changed the pads, inspected the rest and found no issues they claimed he had. GTG.) So no more dealership for anything I can do myself. I enjoy turning wrenches anyway, so oil done yesterday. Changing diff's and xfer case tomorrow. Looked at xmission, doesn't look fun, but not that difficult. Herein lies the question, is there such a thing as a manual xmission filter that should/needs to be changed? This is the first I've really dove into a transmission oil change, but I'll accept "newb" status on this one...

Ok, these are the few things I've been trying to find answers to. Maybe I've been looking in the wrong places, but I appreciate any feedback and information alike. Thanks!

First, I want to give a HUGE Thanks to everyone on WAL... So much info learned here through your experiences, knowledge, and passion for Jeeping. There have been catastrophe's and unnecessary expenses avoided thanks to y'all. I haven't had to start new threads (until now) since all my questions before had been answered! For that, I sincerely thank you, all of you...

With that said... I am seeking a bit more support/guidance for some questions I have. (Apologies if these have been covered before, but I looked for as many things I could find answers to.)

I haven't made a lot of upgrades or changes to my 2011 JK since we bought her, but I just rolled 51,5XX miles and it's finally starting to happen! Thanks to your insight on WAL, I made the purchase of two sets of Truck-Lite LED headlights for my 2011 JK and my wife's 2014 JKU Willy and we couldn't be happier with them. Only issue now are the fog lights. Mainly for appearances vs function, would be nice to have them match the Truck-Lites (as close as possible, without spending too much).

(1) Ordered my 1.5" spacers, should arrive this week. They are made by Titan, found a good deal for set of 4 new. Couldn't find many reviews, but more importantly nothing negative either. My tires are almost ready to be replaced and I've read about as many of the 220+ pages of that thread as I could without losing consciousness...lol. JK is stock corner to corner, like the rims, they stay. (Prelim: plan to trim fenders in the next few months. Looking at starting with TF Leveling Kit (1155200) and replacing springs, shocks, etc later.) That in mind, and knowing a 315/70R17 COULD fit, is that necessarily the right answer? See that a lot of folks speak highly of the 285/70(or 75)R17 as well. No rock crawling or serious trails where I am, but occasional off-road, finding mud when possible is about it. I do appreciate the aggressive look and it's always better to have the capability, rather than to wish you had it when you need it... So, technically, all I will have is the wheel spacers as of now and I'm torn between these two sizes (which seem to be the most common sizes where I am): 285/75R17 and 315/70R17. Also, definitely going with Duratracs. No-brainer in my mind. Also, when I do add the TF LK and the rest of my plans fall into place will the size tire I choose still look as awesome as it does in my head?

(2) At what point will I need to look into the Flashpaq or equivalent programmer? Are they really necessary for a LK and these size tires? I have no intention of going any larger with the tires or a lift (at least not in the next 5 years +), but I do enjoy the gas mileage I get and will keep it if I can (roughly 20 mpg or more if on a road trip). I expect that will go down slightly with the LK and the tires, but trying to stay optimistic and a realist at the same time... difficult, I know.

(3) Is there a transmission filter in the 6 spd manual? Just changed my oil and filter to Amsoil. Going full synthetic from now on and doing it myself as our local dealership proved to be more dishonest than originally anticipated. (friend almost got taken advantage of at same place, long story short, they wanted $900+ for a brakes including calipers. Told him that was horsesh*t and I changed the pads, inspected the rest and found no issues they claimed he had. GTG.) So no more dealership for anything I can do myself. I enjoy turning wrenches anyway, so oil done yesterday. Changing diff's and xfer case tomorrow. Looked at xmission, doesn't look fun, but not that difficult. Herein lies the question, is there such a thing as a manual xmission filter that should/needs to be changed? This is the first I've really dove into a transmission oil change, but I'll accept "newb" status on this one...

Ok, these are the few things I've been trying to find answers to. Maybe I've been looking in the wrong places, but I appreciate any feedback and information alike. Thanks!

(1) The leveling kit will allow you to run the size tires you are looking at. In fact if you get a 2.5 inch budget boost lift and with flat fenders you can run 35's. If memory serves me the 315's are the closest to a 35 inch tire as you can get.

(2) I have the AEV Pro-Cal that allowed me to turn the TPMS off and adjust my speedometer for the correct tire size. One thing to keep in mind is your gearing. If you have not already done so determine the gear ration so you can see just what you have. In my 2011 with the max tow package I have 3.73 gears and they are decent with 35's not the best.

(3) As for the manual transmission filter, I do not believe there is one. I have had several manual transmissions and do not every having one. Here is the Project-JK link for routine maintenance, http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk/jeep-jk-write-ups/operation-maintenance and the WAYALIFE DIY write up section http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...P-INDEX-Do-it-Yourself-Installation-Write-Ups

Lastly here is the FAQ from JK newbies that I found to be very helpful.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...s-Every-Newbie-has-about-the-Jeep-JK-Wrangler

R/
Will

joshuaj21

(1) The leveling kit will allow you to run the size tires you are looking at. In fact if you get a 2.5 inch budget boost lift and with flat fenders you can run 35's. If memory serves me the 315's are the closest to a 35 inch tire as you can get.

(2) I have the AEV Pro-Cal that allowed me to turn the TPMS off and adjust my speedometer for the correct tire size. One thing to keep in mind is your gearing. If you have not already done so determine the gear ration so you can see just what you have. In my 2011 with the max tow package I have 3.73 gears and they are decent with 35's not the best.

(3) As for the manual transmission filter, I do not believe there is one. I have had several manual transmissions and do not every having one. Here is the Project-JK link for routine maintenance, http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk/jeep-jk-write-ups/operation-maintenance and the WAYALIFE DIY write up section http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...P-INDEX-Do-it-Yourself-Installation-Write-Ups

Lastly here is the FAQ from JK newbies that I found to be very helpful.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...s-Every-Newbie-has-about-the-Jeep-JK-Wrangler

R/
Will

Will,

Thanks for the info. Checking out the links now. I must have watched some of the JK-write ups for maintenance a dozen times. Found them all to be super helpful. Just didn't see anything about a transmission filter and same as you, I've had several manual's before and never heard about a filter, but to be on the safe side, figured I'd ask...

For the programmer part, I don't have TPMS, pretty sure anyway. My wife's Willy has it though, but mine doesn't have the digital display with the tire pressures. I assume that means I don't have it? I have seen the amber pressure light before when it dropped below zero a few months ago, but that was the first time in 4 years I'd seen that light. I also have the max tow pkg with 3.73 gears, so figured the gearing wouldn't be an issue, just wasn't sure if 315 would be too much tire without a BB.

With the BB, the TF Leveling Kit says 2" front, 1" rear. When I get to the springs, shocks, bump stops, etc... will all that combined eventually give me around that 2.5" boost? With that, what other aspects of steering will need adjusting/replacing (i.e. linkage, control arms, etc...)?

Will,

Thanks for the info. Checking out the links now. I must have watched some of the JK-write ups for maintenance a dozen times. Found them all to be super helpful. Just didn't see anything about a transmission filter and same as you, I've had several manual's before and never heard about a filter, but to be on the safe side, figured I'd ask...

For the programmer part, I don't have TPMS, pretty sure anyway. My wife's Willy has it though, but mine doesn't have the digital display with the tire pressures. I assume that means I don't have it? I have seen the amber pressure light before when it dropped below zero a few months ago, but that was the first time in 4 years I'd seen that light. I also have the max tow pkg with 3.73 gears, so figured the gearing wouldn't be an issue, just wasn't sure if 315 would be too much tire without a BB.

With the BB, the TF Leveling Kit says 2" front, 1" rear. When I get to the springs, shocks, bump stops, etc... will all that combined eventually give me around that 2.5" boost? With that, what other aspects of steering will need adjusting/replacing (i.e. linkage, control arms, etc...)?

Since you are not going to be doing a lot of rock crawling you will be just fine with 315's on a budget boost lift. If you plan on stuffing the tires you might get some rubbing. I had a bunch of rubbing with 35's on a 3 inch lift until I went with flat fenders. Now I need bigger tires to make the wheel wells look better. :yup:

Actually you do have TPMS on your 2011 just not the digital read out. When your tire pressure drops you will get the tire low with exclamation point light and that tells you the PSI is low. I set mine to 0 since I am running 28 PSI in my tires.

Anything 2.5 inches and below there is not that much of a change to the steering geometry to worry about. Anything taller than that you will need front lower adjustable control arms. Depending on the lift you get your net gain might be slightly higher. For instance the Rock Krawler 2.5 inch lift will net you close to 3 inches of lift. The one lift that offers almost exact lift is the EVO Enforcer lifts. The 3 inch lift nets 3 inches and likewise with the 4 inch. Before going out and buying a lift find some Jeeps in your area with various lifts and see if they will take you for a ride, since that is the most subjective aspect of a lift. Some like a stiffer ride where as other like a softer ride. I have the EVO 3 inch Plush Ride coils with Rancho RS9000 XL adjustable shocks and love how it rides. I can dial the shocks in to how I want my ride to feel on and off road.

R/
Will

joshuaj21

Thanks Will. Definitely solved my tire size question... and the same with my future plans. Wouldn't want the tires to look small when I get around to a "true" lift, but hopefully the 315's are wore out by then anyway! lol

I had a feeling you were going to tell me I had TPMS. I thought about that after I sent my reply. Is there a way to possibly rent, borrow, or have someone plug one in to set new tire specs or are they something that just stays plugged in? I haven't done much research on them yet and being lazy about it since we're on the subject. (thanks for enabling... :thumb:)

I think with the lift, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. For now, the leveling kit will be all that's in the cards with the tires and spacers. The rest of the clearance issues can be solved with my dremel for the most part. Good advice on the locals though. I have a camping trip next month with some fellow Jeeper's. It will be easier to see what you mean. Thanks for that!

Although it may not be as cost efficient to "piece" together a lift, it might be easier to justify spending a little at a time to get the shocks, springs, and smaller items as I can find good deals on them than to buy a whole lift out right. It's easier to explain to the wife that I spend a little here and there than almost $1k at once, other than the tires that is...

Thanks Will. Definitely solved my tire size question... and the same with my future plans. Wouldn't want the tires to look small when I get around to a "true" lift, but hopefully the 315's are wore out by then anyway! lol

I had a feeling you were going to tell me I had TPMS. I thought about that after I sent my reply. Is there a way to possibly rent, borrow, or have someone plug one in to set new tire specs or are they something that just stays plugged in? I haven't done much research on them yet and being lazy about it since we're on the subject. (thanks for enabling... :thumb:)

I think with the lift, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. For now, the leveling kit will be all that's in the cards with the tires and spacers. The rest of the clearance issues can be solved with my dremel for the most part. Good advice on the locals though. I have a camping trip next month with some fellow Jeeper's. It will be easier to see what you mean. Thanks for that!

Although it may not be as cost efficient to "piece" together a lift, it might be easier to justify spending a little at a time to get the shocks, springs, and smaller items as I can find good deals on them than to buy a whole lift out right. It's easier to explain to the wife that I spend a little here and there than almost $1k at once, other than the tires that is...

Lets start with the TPMS. When turning off the TPMS you need a AEV Pro-Cal or Superchip. Down side is you can only use it on vehicle because it programs the VIN into it and locks it just for that Jeep. The dealership will not turn it off because it is a safety feature.

As for piecing together a lift I did just that over a period of 6 months. I was lucky to get a set of EVO Plush Ride Coils from forum member, then about 3 months later a set of Rancho RS9000 XL shocks that were from the same member because they he found a set of RS9000's that worked with his new coils. Then I picked up a set of adjustable Front Lower Control arms. I held on to all the pieces and then put the lift on at one time. It is possible just be sure you have a place to store the parts. Last piece I purchased for my lift with the 4-6 inch lift extended Crown Brake lines. Only wanted to do the brake lines once. Hope this makes sense.

R/
Will

joshuaj21

Will,

Yes. Every bit makes sense. So need to invest in the pro-cal or superchip (homework).

As for the lift plan, that's just about what I had in mind as well. Create a list of the parts I want, verify compatibility, and obtain/purchase when possible. I like it! Thanks Will!

joshuaj21

So decided on the flashcal, will be here on Tuesday (fingers crossed). I'm about 80/20 road to trail for now, so would the upgrade to flashpaq be worth it? Eventually hope to even out that ratio, but probably not for a year or two...

Top Bottom