Rear Brake Line Mod

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Greetings Wayalifers,

I've received a few questions and requests for photos of the rear brake line modification/ relocation. Since I did this over a year and a half ago, I do not have step by step instructions. But I will post photos I snapped this morning and discuss what was done.

I have a brake line bender, but honestly it wasn't used as the lines were bent by hand, ever so gently ;)

The reason it's important to tackle this mod is to get your hard brake line out of harms way. When flexing it is possible that your upper sway bar bolt contact and breaches your brake line, something you definitely don't want to happen on the trail. You can see the potential problem here:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1427747732.898841.jpg

The stock hard line runs along the outside of the frame rail. By bending the line to run along the top of the frame rail it can be moved out of harms way:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1427747786.401373.jpg
Secured with a few zip ties:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1427747958.688217.jpg

I ran the line through the frame rail and used some 1" furniture plugs (Lowe's) which I split down the middle and drilled to run the lines through. They are on the top and bottom of the frame holes to keep the hard line in place up top: ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1427748147.528526.jpg
And the flexible line in place below:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1427748176.517317.jpg

Note: I did this mod while installing the new crown stainless steel brake lines included with my EVO Mfg. Enforcer kit. It is a bit messy to install brake lines obviously so if you plan on tackling this mod be sure you know how to bleed your brake lines as you will need to after disconnecting the line to get it through the frame rail.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

noroad

Very nice i will do this this week, Question tho, did you put the new line on then feed through the frame or did you have enough room to pull the hard line through to put it on?

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Very nice i will do this this week, Question tho, did you put the new line on then feed through the frame or did you have enough room to pull the hard line through to put it on?

I put the flexible line through (up) then installed it to the hard line. This was much easier since you have more room to work with.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Just double checking, how easy are the lines to bend? I know you said you had gentle hands, but are they fairly easy to manipulate?

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Just double checking, how easy are the lines to bend? I know you said you had gentle hands, but are they fairly easy to manipulate?

Pretty easy. My brake line bender's name is Drew. He has gentle hands. :cheesy:

Seriously though they are pretty simple. But be gentle.

jeeeep

Hooked
I should have done this when I changed out brake lines...was in too much of a hurry to get ready for EJS!

SFNick

I finally got around to doing this today. It was super easy to bend the brake lines. It Lookes like I've been coming really close to hitting them with the Sway bar bolt.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1428792183.389734.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1428792204.046400.jpg

noroad

Added this to my build thanks again! I just some nice rubber to cover the hose that went through the frame!!

bl.jpg
bl1.jpg

QRS

Nice Frank, I remember you talking about this in other thread some time ago. I just received my crown rear lines and will install in the following days.

OJK12

I love this mod but should you not have a piece of hose or something between the brake line and the frame to keep it from rubbing/vibrating a hole through it?

hbkid22

So I need to ask. What size lift are you running? And what the difference between this and the brake line relocation brackets? (Cough teraflex)

I was told by Northridge that my rear brake lines should be extended or relocated as when I am at full flex in the rear I am close to the limits of the line.

Top Bottom