RK, MC or EVO lower control arms?

Jeepfan30

I am selling my old RK lower control arms to a friend and now have the opportunity to upgrade my lower control arms. My options are the new RK with the pro flex joint, Metalcloak Duroflex arms, or EVO Johnny Joint arms. I would appreciate any pros/cons if you have used any of these arms.

I am running the 3" EVO coils and Synergy DL flip kit on a 2014 JKU. My jeep is a daily driver with light wheeling until I get back to the mainland and planning to run the Rubicon Trail. Thanks,

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I would go with evo. The new rk joints are unproven, metaljoke seem to deform after a while and jj are proven.
Also don't fall for "arms flex more" bologna.

Last edited:

ClarksAdventures

I have metalcloak. I've been really happy with them. They are solid, no sweaking, flex great, and ride great. I also like that they zinc chromate coat everything. I haven't heard anything about the deforming.

Last edited:

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
I just swapped out my factory front lowers to EVO lowers. Very happy with them. Build quality is second to none and the joints are massive. Also, adjusting them is easy on the Jeep.

Buster3479

Recently changed out Synergy Lowers to EVO lowers. Much more massive joints, easier to adjust, and overall happier. One thing I can't figure out, is how to grease the axle side zerk on the front lowers after they're installed :hmm:? I've had Rock Krawler arms before as part of their complete lift kit, never installed them. I was shipped joints with manufacturing issues about 1.5 years ago, and chose not to install the entire kit. Since then they've been through multiple re-designs on their joints? Seems like a lot of change in a very short time, and I'm not into testing someone else's products on my daily.

I'm sure RK arms are fine, I received bad ones, and they've redesigned them anyhow. That said, I had no doubt about ordering EVO, and couldn't be happier with them.

Last edited:

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
One thing I can't figure out, is how to grease the axle side zerk on the front lowers after they're installed :hmm:?

I haven't done it yet, but I understand you can change out the zerk for a 90° zerk and that should let you grease it without having to pull the arm.

I deleted them. I only have pictures of their gen 1 welded ones that broke.

I'm aware of a single case of a welded end that failed, but it's certainly possible there are more. Either way they now ship forged joints so this point is mute to a new buyer.

There are lots of decent arms out there and I consider Metalcloak to be among them. I personally am running them issue free and know of several others that are running them and like them. The zinc coating and relatively maintenance free joint design is very appealing to those in the rust belt.

I have never seen or heard of joint deformation, but I have seen some that have had faster wear (especially in the hot areas of the map). Even in these cases, the joints lasted 30k(ish) miles. (Something no hard joint seems capable off out east.)

I have been running metal cloak arms for about 15k miles and haven't had a problem. My jeep has been everywhere including the Rubicon 5 times, Fordyce twice and spent a week in moab and they have held up good so far. My jeep might be only one on the forum with pr60's front a rear and 40's still on a short arm lift. Just haven't felt the need to change them. My wife is going to order a new wrangler in a few days and I will be giving her the arm and going long arm. The joints are unproven compared to the Jonny joints, who knows how long they will last but haven't had a problem yet. I'm not a metalcloak fan boy at all just giving you my 2 cents.

JKJody

I got about 11k on my metalcloak arms. Not even a squeak out of them. They are the new forged ones however.

Hot94Z28

Does EVO even make a rear lower arm? Reason I ask I'm ready to switch all of my RK arms to EVO I currently just have all lowers.

ClarksAdventures

I'm aware of a single case of a welded end that failed, but it's certainly possible there are more. Either way they now ship forged joints so this point is mute to a new buyer.

There are lots of decent arms out there and I consider Metalcloak to be among them. I personally am running them issue free and know of several others that are running them and like them. The zinc coating and relatively maintenance free joint design is very appealing to those in the rust belt.

I have never seen or heard of joint deformation, but I have seen some that have had faster wear (especially in the hot areas of the map). Even in these cases, the joints lasted 30k(ish) miles. (Something no hard joint seems capable off out east.)

From what I hear there are plenty makers of quality joints out there.
I like that even if I only get 30k miles out of my joints, I can rebuild them in an afternoon( I have a full set of uppers and lowers).

I like the zinc coating for rust but didn't like the color. So for very cheap I color matched them to my jeep.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1427847844.747886.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1427847863.131848.jpg

Top Bottom