Double D pro or double throwdown?

jeeper52

LOSER
Hey guys one last thread before i make a final decision. I thought i had my mind made up with the double throwdown but i want to make sure its worth the extra 3k or so plus the extensive laybor. Im mainly doing trails in colorado and moab with little to no high speed desert driving. Is the main advantage the throwdown has over the pro the ability to be able to drive at higher speed through the whoops and 2" more travel? I thought the double d pro gives like 12" of travel while the throwdown gives 14". Which is better for mainly rock crawling and for on road? The throwdown with high clearance long arms or the pro with the standard long arm mount? Which feels more stable on the rocks and road? Sorry for the repetitive post but i would like to hear from both sides. Thanks

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
What's scaring you off on the dtd? Installing it yourself? From what I've seen that's the problem here.

jeeper52

LOSER
Its not so much the install. I believe i can do it im just trying to make the best decision i can based off what im mostly going to be using it for. I have heard from a few people that the high clearance long arm on the dtd makes the jeep drive a little funny on road. Also i like the lcg of the bolt on kit, can you get the dtd to sit as low as the pro?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have heard from a few people...

:cheesy: Well, if the "few people" told you this on the internet, it must be true :crazyeyes:

....that the high clearance long arm on the dtd makes the jeep drive a little funny on road.

"drive a little funny" is a very technical term and one that's a bit over my head. Any chance you could dumb it down a bit for me so that I might be able to understand what the issue is :idontknow:

Also i like the lcg of the bolt on kit, can you get the dtd to sit as low as the pro?

Sorry, not familiar with all the new names the EVO kits have but if you're looking at the DTD kit with high clearance brackets, it's made for a LOW stance. The Double D kit with the standard bolt on relocation brackets are really designed for a taller stance. Full-Traction, TeraFlex, BDS and the like all use a rear bracket like the Double D in that it lowers the rear control arm mounts for better geometry correction after installing a taller lift. In other words, if you were to go tall, you wouldn't want the high clearance brackets.

Eddie has his dialed in at about 4" of lift running 40's.

Actually, I have Moby dialed in at 3" of lift running 40's. :yup:

Jake Wilson

Yea what Eddie said. Look dude if you can afford the coil overs I would say do it. Are you going to be doing a lot of high speed desert runs? Maybe not but when the time comes your going to wish you could. Its like saying you don't wanna buy a Warn because you don't think you'll use it.... But the time you do use it you are gonna wish you had a Warn. Just my 2 cents tho.

jeeper52

LOSER
:cheesy: Well, if the "few people" told you this on the internet, it must be true :crazyeyes:

"drive a little funny" is a very technical term and one that's a bit over my head. Any chance you could dumb it down a bit for me so that I might be able to understand what the issue is :idontknow:

Sorry, not familiar with all the new names the EVO kits have but if you're looking at the DTD kit with high clearance brackets, it's made for a LOW stance. The Double D kit with the standard bolt on relocation brackets are really designed for a taller stance. Full-Traction, TeraFlex, BDS and the like all use a rear bracket like the Double D in that it lowers the rear control arm mounts for better geometry correction after installing a taller lift. In other words, if you were to go tall, you wouldn't want the high clearance brackets.

Actually, I have Moby dialed in at 3" of lift running 40's. :yup:

It was actually a local shop that told me about the high clearance brackets that makes the jeep feel unstable on the road. If they installed the dtd they recommend fitting it with brackets similar to the Double d pro. Which kit does moby have?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It was actually a local shop that told me about the high clearance brackets that makes the jeep feel unstable on the road.

LOL - What shop told you this and "unstable on the road" as in how?

If they installed the dtd they recommend fitting it with brackets similar to the Double d pro.

Well, if they're planning to set your ride height tall, they would be right, you would want the Double D brackets with the lower rear control arm mounts as it would help correct your suspension geometry BUT, I think it's a stretch to say your Jeep would feel "unstable on the road" with out them. I've only known of one guy who was unhappy with his high clearance brackets and that's because he was running 42's and had his coil overs set at well over 6" of lift.

Which kit does moby have?

We run high clearance brackets on Moby but we have our coil overs set at about 3" of lift over stock. Having said that, I wouldn't have any issues running them at 4" of lift or a bit more.

jeeper52

LOSER
LOL - What shop told you this and "unstable on the road" as in how?

Well, if they're planning to set your ride height tall, they would be right, you would want the Double D brackets with the lower rear control arm mounts as it would help correct your suspension geometry BUT, I think it's a stretch to say your Jeep would feel "unstable on the road" with out them. I've only known of one guy who was unhappy with his high clearance brackets and that's because he was running 42's and had his coil overs set at well over 6" of lift.

We run high clearance brackets on Moby but we have our coil overs set at about 3" of lift over stock. Having said that, I wouldn't have any issues running them at 4" of lift or a bit more.

Pm'd you. So on moby are you running the dtd or bolt on's?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Pm'd you. So on moby are you running the dtd or bolt on's?

Both Moby and Rubicat are running DTD's and with the high clearance long arm brackets. This is not to say that we haven't run brackets similar to the Double D as they are pretty much the same as what Full-Traction uses and that's the kit we used to run.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Did you notice any difference in stability between the two?

LOL!! No. I have run a myriad of lift kits both short and long arm and both the bolt on coil overs and DTD and can tell you that if I were unhappy with what I got now, I would change it. Over the last 8 years and 4 built up JK's, it's what I've been doing - setting them up and modifying them to be the best they can be with what was available at the time. I guarantee you that Moby is way more stable than most JK's even driving fast on curvy mountain roads. If anything ever comes out that's better than what I have, it will be on my Jeep.

jeeper52

LOSER
LOL!! No. I have run a myriad of lift kits both short and long arm and both the bolt on coil overs and DTD and can tell you that if I were unhappy with what I got now, I would change it. Over the last 8 years and 4 built up JK's, it's what I've been doing - setting them up and modifying them to be the best they can be with what was available at the time. I guarantee you that Moby is way more stable than most JK's even driving fast on curvy mountain roads. If anything ever comes out that's better than what I have, it will be on my Jeep.

If just mainly rock crawling is what im doing are there any benefits the dtd has over the bolt on kit besides 2" more travel?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If just mainly rock crawling is what im doing are there any benefits the dtd has over the bolt on kit besides 2" more travel?

2" up front and almost 3" in the rear. To me, it makes a difference even on the rocks. Also, the EVO lever in the rear will be protected due to its design. The bolt-on kit is great but like ALL the coil over kits out there that have a similar setup, the rear coils are exposed. When I was running the bolt-on kit, I tore off the rear reservoir on the Old Sluice because of it. I have NEVER had anything like that happen with my DTD.

That being said, if you just rock crawl, you could always just get the DTD tower up front and EVO lever in the rear and just run them without the bypass shocks. You'd save a lot of money that way and really, you don't need them.

jeeper52

LOSER
2" up front and almost 3" in the rear. To me, it makes a difference even on the rocks. Also, the EVO lever in the rear will be protected due to its design. The bolt-on kit is great but like ALL the coil over kits out there that have a similar setup, the rear coils are exposed. When I was running the bolt-on kit, I tore off the rear reservoir on the Old Sluice because of it. I have NEVER had anything like that happen with my DTD.

That being said, if you just rock crawl, you could always just get the DTD tower up front and EVO lever in the rear and just run them without the bypass shocks. You'd save a lot of money that way and really, you don't need them.

Right on i think that's exactly what im going to do. Thanks for the help. Do you know of anyone who has done the laybor themselves?

Top Bottom