Need a new tire carrier, want to keep my 10a bumper

Finn Sizzle

Hey lifers, I am looking to get a tire carrier to hold my 37s however I want to retain my existing rear bumper that the 10a has (same as Rubicon Rockhard). From what I have been able to find i can either go with the Teraflex or the AEV. Are there any other options that will fit into the rear bumper similar to the AEV?

Also, I don't really want to drill into the body of the jeep for the fold down or similar carriers.

Looking for other options if available.

Thanks in advance!

dcbjk

Caught the Bug
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1427933386.695707.jpg
The EVO tire carrier can retain the rear bumper I know its not the 10a but it should and it'll protect your tire and secure it very well all the way up to a 40 inch tire they look really nice with 37s

JayKay

Caught the Bug
View attachment 134656
The EVO tire carrier can retain the rear bumper I know its not the 10a but it should and it'll protect your tire and secure it very well all the way up to a 40 inch tire they look really nice with 37s

He doesn't want to drill holes in the body. Required with the EVO carrier.

To the OP...how much wheeling do you do? Is your Jeep mostly on the highway? It's been said that the stock carrier will hold a 37" tire with a spacer and extended rubber isolators, but damage may occur to your tailgate over time if you run rough road or do a lot of wheeling.

aermotor

I know you said no drill the body, but you're going to have few options. OR-Fab allows you to keep any other bumper (drill required, but it's small and could easily be plugged later). The advantage of body mount is how tight you can get them and be rattle free.

They have jerry can and non-can versions. I like mine, 4 years and no issues.

101950435.jpg

94774374.jpg

Wardell

Please do yourself a favour and forget about the Teraflex tire carrier. There's too many instances of the tire mount breaking, and if it happens on the highway the flying tire could kill the people in the vehicle behind you. Fortunately enough the worst hasn't happened to anyone yet yet, but it's really only a matter of time. And even though it has a poor design and was made with cheep metal, Denis will blame you for "installer error"...

The AEV tire carrier is designed to mount through a hole in the 10A bumper to the frame, just note it's the same spot as the rear passenger side tow hook. You'll have to take that tow hook off to mount their carrier. It's off centre too, which is really just aesthetics but if you have OCD that could drive you nuts.

You might want to look at the Maximus 3 carrier. It bolts on to the body using the existing hinge bolts for the tailgate, so there's no extra drilling involved. It's a modular design too so you can add a high lift jack, rotopax, etc as needed.

Aside from that, there are a lot of other body mount carriers out there, like the EVO, LoD, Poison Spyder, GenRight, OR-Fab, etc, but all of those require at least some drilling or body modification that is probably beyond what you're considering right now. That said, I don't know hat kind of wheeling you're planning to do or what size tire you need to mount, but the carriers like the EVO one first suggested that have an outer frame and are secured on both sides of the body will be the strongest, most secure and will even provide some protection to the tire too.

Last edited:

Finn Sizzle

He doesn't want to drill holes in the body. Required with the EVO carrier.

To the OP...how much wheeling do you do? Is your Jeep mostly on the highway? It's been said that the stock carrier will hold a 37" tire with a spacer and extended rubber isolators, but damage may occur to your tailgate over time if you run rough road or do a lot of wheeling.

Wheeling is the main use of the Jeep. Some Highway use, but for the most part driving to/from trails. I don't trust the stock at all to hold the 37s

Finn Sizzle

Please do yourself a favour and forget about the Teraflex tire carrier. There's too many instances of the tire mount breaking, and if it happens on the highway the flying tire could kill the people in the vehicle behind you. Fortunately enough the worst hasn't happened to anyone yet yet, but it's really only a matter of time. And even though it has a poor design and was made with cheep metal, Denis will blame you for "installer error"...

The AEV tire carrier is designed to mount through a hole in the 10A bumper to the frame, just note it's the same spot as the rear passenger side tow hook. You'll have to take that tow hook off to mount their carrier. It's off centre too, which is really just aesthetics but if you have OCD that could drive you nuts.

You might want to look at the Maximus 3 carrier. It bolts on to the body using the existing hinge bolts for the tailgate, so there's no extra drilling involved. It's a modular design too so you can add a high lift jack, rotopax, etc as needed.

Aside from that, there are a lot of other body mount carriers out there, like the EVO, LoD, Poison Spyder, GenRight, OR-Fab, etc, but all of those require at least some drilling or body modification that is probably beyond what you're considering right now. That said, I don't know hat kind of wheeling you're planning to do or what size tire you need to mount, but the carriers like the EVO one first suggested that have an outer frame and are secured on both sides of the body will be the strongest, most secure and will even provide some protection to the tire too.

I thought they had fixed the issue on the Teraflex with the tire carrier support failing, No? I'm not looking at starting that whole debate, just what I had heard. I'll research this some more.

The AEV would have been my first choice! and yes I knew I would loose the passenger tow hook, but my OCD would kick into overdrive....I know a few people that have it :).

The main use of the Jeep is wheeling, so I would prefer one that will hold up to the abuse of bouncing around often

Thanks for your input!

Finn Sizzle

I know you said no drill the body, but you're going to have few options. OR-Fab allows you to keep any other bumper (drill required, but it's small and could easily be plugged later). The advantage of body mount is how tight you can get them and be rattle free.

They have jerry can and non-can versions. I like mine, 4 years and no issues.

101950435.jpg

94774374.jpg

Yep, I had OR-Fab on my YJ, worked well.

Christarp

With a 10A bumper and wanting to not go into the body I would definitely choose AEV. Pricey, but strong and packed full of features. Also is a really nice and clean look.

Wardell

I thought they had fixed the issue on the Teraflex with the tire carrier support failing, No? I'm not looking at starting that whole debate, just what I had heard. I'll research this some more.

I know it's a really long thread, but Eddie and the others have covered pretty much all its flaws. Suffice it to say that even though Teraflex has sworn up and down that there's nothing wrong with the carrier when it's installed correctly, they did eventually change the design of the carrier to include some gusseting in an attempt to fix the problem. It didn't. I can't remember who it was, but one of the forum members here had the old tire mount break on him and received the new one as a replacement, only to have that one break as well.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
The AEV is a well engineered piece. I wouldn't look at any other carrier if you wanted to run a factory bumper. The utility of it is amazing.

Finn Sizzle

I know it's a really long thread, but Eddie and the others have covered pretty much all its flaws. Suffice it to say that even though Teraflex has sworn up and down that there's nothing wrong with the carrier when it's installed correctly, they did eventually change the design of the carrier to include some gusseting in an attempt to fix the problem. It didn't. I can't remember who it was, but one of the forum members here had the old tire mount break on him and received the new one as a replacement, only to have that one break as well.

Oh dam, really?

I think I have ruled it out now anyway...I might start to look at the Evo and PSC body mounted carriers now.....I hate choices! :)

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Oh dam, really?

I think I have ruled it out now anyway...I might start to look at the Evo and PSC body mounted carriers now.....I hate choices! :)

Interesting thread here on carriers. Some mentioned the psc carrier. I really was interested in the psc at one point, but I don't think it's the carrier for me.
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=
I know there is a story behind this, but I'm wondering how this carrier would hold up to a good hit, is it going to dent my body? Latch going to close good? It's a cute carrier, but I'm having doubts about its design.

Attachments

• 1428044504430.jpg
    1428044504430.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 262

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I have another option for you to check out and I don't think it's been mentioned yet is the crawler concepts body mounted carrier http://crawlerconceptz.com/index.php/products/exterior-upgrades/usbtc.html

I've seen this carrier, again, too soon to tell. Hit that on a ledge and your gate is bent, possibly hinges too. Then I look at the tiny piece of metal holding the tire and I'm not sure that's enough beef there to hold up a 35" tire or a 37". Cute carrier though.

Attachments

• 1428045059535.jpg
    1428045059535.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 278
  • 1428045084392.jpg
    1428045084392.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 282

Sessoms14X

I'm really happy with the AEV carrier. With your bumper it's probly your best bet unless you decide to go with a body mounted one. 1428068124590.jpg

Top Bottom