Ugh, Midlife Crisis Time

ArmyofMike

Welp, found out the small college I work for is shuttering my campus soon. :grayno: Which means I'm on the semi-frantic hunt for another job. It is about this time that I realize, do I stay in the industry I've been in since Grad School ended and my "professional" career began in 2005, i.e. Higher Education/College or do I look for a career outside of what I've been in for so long? Kinda doing some soul searching AND counting my blessings at the same time. Ironic this weekend is Easter and the resurrection of Christ and possibly my career. Not to compare the too, as equal, obviously, but the premise of renewing and starting anew.

I am at a lose for what type of job/career I should go into. Scary, exciting and challenging all at the same time. Especially being 95% breadwinner of the household and mouths to feed. But I rely on the fact that He will provide what I need and enough. Trying to not get too spiritual, but it's keeping me calm and from loosing my mind. :crazyeyes:

Sorry to vent here, just needed to write it down I guess. I don't have any friends who have gone through this type of change, so hoping a forum member(s) could offer me some solace. Has anyone experienced a career change and gone through a transitional time? I don't even know where to start to find an industry or job I'm interested and qualified for.

Well this happens to me in June 2014 when the Navy said it was time to go after 26 years. Yes is is a little nerve racking but what kept me going was the fact that yes God is in control and will provide a better job than what you have now. Just ask for it and He will provide. This is how we ended up in Fort Worth. I am doing the same thing as I did in the Navy but paying a little better.

What is your degree's in?

That might help us.

R/
Will

ArmyofMike

Well this happens to me in June 2014 when the Navy said it was time to go after 26 years. Yes is is a little nerve racking but what kept me going was the fact that yes God is in control and will provide a better job than what you have now. Just ask for it and He will provide. This is how we ended up in Fort Worth. I am doing the same thing as I did in the Navy but paying a little better.

What is your degree's in?

That might help us.

R/
Will

Thanks Will. I appreciate it. I think I'm in stage 3-4 of the grief process. Trying to see the "light at the end of the tunnel" in stage 5 soon!

Here is part of my resume. MOST of my work experience has been in education/college.
________

OBJECTIVE
Management, Leadership, Operations, Education, Training/Instruction, Sales or Outreach Development
Versatile, resourceful, and results-driven professional with exemplary experience and qualifications to lead and support a broad range of business, financial, and strategic projects, programs, and initiatives within for profit/nonprofit organizations.. Eager to demonstrate project coordination, facilitation and organization skills to achieve targeted goals and objectives. Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills used to build rapport and positive relationships with customers, partners, and individuals at all levels and backgrounds. To obtain a challenging position that will allow me to utilize my integrity, energy, professionalism and leadership skills I obtained in my 11 years in higher education, advertising/marketing, consultative sales and management.

SKILLS and QUALIFICATIONS

• 9+ years of management and leadership
• 2+ years of consultative sales and marketing (inside/outside sales)
• 9+ years of customer service
• 4+ years teaching and instructional experience (K-12, College and University)
• Orchestrating accreditation process: WASC, ABHES, CoAEMSP, BPPE and others
• 11+ years in support services, customer service, retention and recruitment
• 8+ years of public and community relations
• Experience in non-profit and for-profit institutions
• Public speaking/interpersonal communication
• Professional development and coaching
• Event planning experience (planning, organizing and implementing)
• Great work ethic, dependable and knowledgeable
• Budgeting, P/L, expense accounting and special project development
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, CampusVue, PeopleSoft

EDUCATION

California State University,
Master of Arts in Communication

California State University,
Bachelor of Arts in Communication

Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked
You are not alone. I was laid off as part of the economic downturn back in Sept. 2010. Bought a new home a year and half before and just submitted a sizable down payment on a kitchen remodel. Went from "having it all" to oh shit I'm going to lose it all. At least that was all that was running through my head at the time.

Long story short, the growth it put me through as a person, father husband forever changed my outlook. It was a journey I did not decide but one I was adamant to control. I started my own consulting business and was able to provide for my family while further defining myself as a person and professional. Needless to say, I worked my ass off to get every new client and make every dollar. But it really boiled down to my family. I would never make a choice to take me away from being a full time father and husband.

So, for you, look at this as your journey and opportunity to make a decision based on what you want to be important. Maybe that is money, Family, lifestyle, where you want to live or all the above/other. No matter what you decide, have a reason/purpose, kick ass while doing it and the right decisions will unfold before you.

Best of luck in your new endeavors, whatever those may be!

JKbrick

Well if you ever wanted to move to a different location you could use this as a chance to move and start over, best of luck to you

RUBINOT

Caught the Bug
Job change is hard, especially if it not voluntary or sudden.

I went thru it in 2013 when do to medical issues was forced into early retirement after 34 years as a police officer.

I was hoping for another 5 years, but then pow, no job and a reduced pension since it was early retirement. Threw a big wrench into our plans and finances.

I had a rough time, both mentally and financially but managed to pull through it.

I'm happier now, much less stress and family life is the best it's ever been.

Things, life changes, happen for a reason, make the best of it and enjoy life.

ArmyofMike

Thanks all for the words and encouragement. I just need to keep applying and what comes is meant to happen. I just really enjoyed my job and people I work with.

I need to find what other industry or career to go into with my skills.

ArmyofMike

So what do you do?

Oh and you have an extra period in your resume.

Ha, good eye MTG. Maybe thats why I havent been hired. Good attention to detail my friend.

Still deciding what to do. I have some applications out. Still seeing where else I fit. I'm thinking public relations, sales, PR, and or Jeep mechanic for Carmax (haha!)

ArmyofMike

Been Applying like crazy and had a few interviews. I took a hard look at my experience and knowledge and have struck upon Operations Management as a job title that seems fitting. Feeling a bit distraught in my situation, but optimistic that God's plan for me will work out.

I'm actually getting quite excited to start a new career in a different field. Thanks for letting me vent a bit. :icon_crazy:

big dr

I think you need to focus on what is going to make you happy in the long run, and look at this as your chance to make it happen,, then attack it! The first thing I would do if I were you is to hire a professional resume writer to make you look as outstanding as your experience indicates. I had an ex GF update my moms resume during a career shift, and I could not believe the difference in the before and after. Make yourself look great. Hire a pro when it comes to the resume. Good luck to you. I truly hope it works out to your benefit.

ArmyofMike

Well, Today has turned out to be a Blessed Day!

I'm on the verge of a much needed camping trip...and I accepted as position as Operations Manager for a local non-profit.

Thanks for the prayers and well wishes. I feel a new-leaf turning as I begin my first career venture out of the industry (College Administration) I have been in for almost 10 years.

Feeling very blessed, excited and optimistic. Thanks for letting me vent here all.
:thumb:

Top Bottom