4.88's or 5'13

Danger

I've been waiting along time to get a JKUR,but I ended up with the 3.8 auto. I dig the jeep, like most of you already know once I put 35,s on, it started down shifting. Until now I had matched 35,s with 4.88's but some people say go 5.13's. I know their pretty close in ratio,but I would hate to screw long range drive ability by going to low. Over the next year are so its being used as a camping rig with a canoe on the roof and a 700 mile round trip comuter once a month. Just looking for some real world Imput. Thanks

dwmgcs

I have a 3.8 auto with 35's and I went from 4.10's to 5.13's and for me it was a perfect combination, overdrive is usable, my mileage went up almost 2 mpg and it has a better powerband than when it was stock. If you had a manual transmission you might want 4.88's but with an auto I would go 5.13's, just my experience there may be other opinions out there.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Being that you have a Rubicon with a Dana 44 front axle, 5.13's is what I would recommend as well. I've run that setup on my 3.8L and it's a bit on the high side of the RPM range but the extra power you get is worth it. Also, it'll get you in line for a set of 37's should you go down that road in the future.

Spartan

Being that you have a Rubicon with a Dana 44 front axle, 5.13's is what I would recommend as well. I've run that setup on my 3.8L and it's a bit on the high side of the RPM range but the extra power you get is worth it. Also, it'll get you in line for a set of 37's should you go down that road in the future.

I have a 2015 JKUR auto and I don't plan on going over 35's would you still say 5.13 would be better then 4.88)?

resqman911

What is the negative side of running 5.38 vs 5.13? I just bought a 2011 JKU Rubicon 3.8 auto, and debating between 35's and 37's. Wondering which gearing I should go with.

Top Bottom