2012 Jeep Sport

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Ok, needs some help a little confused! :confused:

I have a 2012 JK sport :banghead: :bummed:, I was going to raise it 2" and trim the fenders. I wanted to run larger tires and was thinking of running 35's on stock 18"'s with 1.5" spacers.

Question 1: Is there any reason I can't run the 35's? or would 33's be safer?

Question 2: Is there anything I need to change or upgrade for this setup (drive line, axles) etc..?

Thank you, for your help!!!:standing wave:

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Question 1: Is there any reason I can't run the 35's? or would 33's be safer?

well, smaller will always be safer but really, there's no reason why you couldn't run 35's. you will need to gusset up your axle c's for sure and you may end up breaking an axle shaft someday but, that wouldn't be enough for me to not run 35's. just do it :yup:

Question 2: Is there anything I need to change or upgrade for this setup (drive line, axles) etc..?

for sure you will need to install axle c guessets. sleeves are optional and a lot of folks do it as they are cheap insurance but, i don't think they're necessary. i would run your factory drive shafts until they wear out or break. so long as you stay low as you plan, they will work just fine.

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Awesome, Thank you! for the fast reply. I am trying to get everything together while its still in body shop going on 7 weeks now.

well, smaller will always be safer but really, there's no reason why you couldn't run 35's. you will need to gusset up your axle c's for sure and you may end up breaking an axle shaft someday but, that wouldn't be enough for me to not run 35's. just do it :yup:

for sure you will need to install axle c guessets. sleeves are optional and a lot of folks do it as they are cheap insurance but, i don't think they're necessary. i would run your factory drive shafts until they wear out or break. so long as you stay low as you plan, they will work just fine.

Tranquillity

I can't say for the 2012 but doesn't you need to have at least 3.73 gear ratio to run 35? I guess the pentastar can compensate fairly enough !?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I can't say for the 2012 but doesn't you need to have at least 3.73 gear ratio to run 35? I guess the pentastar can compensate fairly enough !?

well technically, you can run 35's with whatever your JK came with but, if you've only got 3.21's on an old 3.8L motor, yeah, it's gonna suck. 3.73's with a calibrated speedo is what i would recommend at bare minimum. with a 3.6L, it'll still feel pretty good.

Top Bottom