Lifting my 2012 2dr jk

RSQ-JK12

I've read several different things about lifting the 2007 and up 2 door waranglers. So my question is on a 3" lift will you need to replace the front drive shaft or will an exhaust spacer work. Not planning on rock crawling due to its my new daily driver. Just a few weekend trail rides. Any advice on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

ParktheJeep

I've read several different things about lifting the 2007 and up 2 door waranglers. So my question is on a 3" lift will you need to replace the front drive shaft or will an exhaust spacer work. Not planning on rock crawling due to its my new daily driver. Just a few weekend trail rides. Any advice on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

If you are going to use it as a daily driver why not just level it or put a 2-2.5in spacer or coil spring lift. I know once you go to the 3in and above lifts your drive shaft does get angled a bit extreme and you might have to look for a new one. As for the exhaust spacer I'm not sure never had to fool around with that yet. Are you wanting to upgrade tire size at all? My jeep is a daily driver with the occasional outdoor trek at the moment so I just have a 2in spacer lift to clear my 33s with stock flares. Also welcome to Wayalife!

Last edited:

RSQ-JK12

Yes I plan to change the stock 17" wheels to a 16" black rock steel wheel wrapped in a 35x12.50 tire. I will be doing trail rides on a regular basis. So with the tires I want to run I thought the 3" lift would be a good choice. Also looking at flat fenders for more tire clearance.

JK LYF

Flat fenders, wheel spacers and a 2 inch lift/leveling kit should be fine to clear 35s.

Just check ur bump stops and brake lines, but they shouldn't be an issue either.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
With 2012+ 2-door JK's with 3 inch plus lifts you will need front AND rear driveshafts, front lower and rear upper adjustable control arms.

Like Hoop said, stick with a 2" lift, flat fenders and 35's. This will get you what you need, keep you capable and looks good. :yup:

Peak

With 2012+ 2-door JK's with 3 inch plus lifts you will need front AND rear driveshafts, front lower and rear upper adjustable control arms.

Like Hoop said, stick with a 2" lift, flat fenders and 35's. This will get you what you need, keep you capable and looks good. :yup:

Would you have to do the same with the early year JKs?

JK LYF

I have 35s with 3.73 gears (3.8 auto). Around town it's fine. Off road it wasn't too bad. Driving on freeways isn't good. It constantly tries to find the right gear on the slightest of grades. I take od off and it helps a little. It's doable but not something you would want long term.

RoughRider

Can you tell me what gears I have because to be honest I'm pretty clueless? 2012 sport 2 door.
And what gears should I get if its my daily driver but I still wheel with it

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Can you tell me what gears I have because to be honest I'm pretty clueless? 2012 sport 2 door.
And what gears should I get if its my daily driver but I still wheel with it

You can get your build sheet from Chrysler or call dealer and find out with VIN number.

DBats

My 2012 sport came with 3.21 gears. Had to buy a new carrier for the front when I changed to 4.88s.

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

hbkid22

I have a 2009 sport 6spd 2dr and it came with 3.21s. Just had 513s put in and run 35s and such a difference. The 321s were rough but I have a 6spd so could manage my gears.

As for the drive shafts. If you stick to 3" and under you don't need driveshafts or even an exhaust spacer. I am running around 3.5" (I believe) as I don't know what size lift the guy put on before me and still run stock shafts. Not ideal but still works.

You will be fine with a simple lift but for what you want to do, I would go with what Hoop says. Spacer/Level and flat fenders.

RoughRider

So I have 3.21 gears and want 35s how soon can do I have to change my gears, what should I change them too, and how much will this all cost

JK LYF

So I have 3.21 gears and want 35s how soon can do I have to change my gears, what should I change them too, and how much will this all cost

I could be wrong so verify. But with 3:21s you will prob need a bigger carrier.

With flat fenders, wheel spacers, and a bb or leveling kit you can run the 35s. You will feel the sluggishness but it can work until you get the funds for a gear change.

Flat fenders are free.
Leveling kit generally a couple hundred bucks
Wheel spacers under 200

You could look for some 4dr rubicon take offs for less than 100 bucks. If the numbers are right, you may gain an inch and a half. Add some coil spacers for under 100 bucks, then add wheel spacers for under 200 bucks. This would prob save u money.

Gears can range in price and labor, but around 1000 on up. New carrier, if needed, prob a couple hundred bucks.

These are estimates to give you an idea of what to expect and what you may need.

Marauder

4.56 if you want highway friendly... 4.88 if you want better trail performance and may go to 37's. Yes a new carrier will be needed.

You are looking at about $1500 to $2000 depending on the shop.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Good advice above.
I'd suggest reading this thread and committing it to memory
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=2180

Here's a pic of my sons 2dr. Put stock JKU springs on it and gained 1.5" ($60) and then found 35" km2s already mounted on Craigslist for $400. Regeared to 5.13 and put on Teraflex big rotor. Rancho 9000 shocks. Rides better than stock and brakes well.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1428372525.831892.jpg

Obviously I cut the fenders (Free!)

RoughRider

So my jeep will be okay running 35s on 3.21 for a couple months?

And what's the best gears for on road but also not bad for off road

Top Bottom