So many lift choices.....Help!!!

resqman911

I just bought a 2011 JKU Rubicon and I'm going to be adding a lift, tires, and regearing in the next couple months, but the shear number of different lift kits is overwhelming. My plans are either a 2.5 or 3 inch lift with either 35's or 37's. I'm a little worried about whether the stock Rubicon components can handle 37's. This jeep is going to be a DD and a weekend warrior in the So-Cal area, Big Bear. I'm trying to keep my price down as much as possible without completely sacrificing dependability, I'm not looking to do the Hammers, I just want a capable, dependable jeep that looks good.

Any help would be appreciated.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Factory fenders or flat? That makes a difference. Usually have to go higher with factory fenders. These 2.5" lifts should be marketed as 3" because that's what people get out of them. What brand of lift are you eyeing?

JKWrang

Factory fenders or flat? That makes a difference. Usually have to go higher with factory fenders. These 2.5" lifts should be marketed as 3" because that's what people get out of them. What brand of lift are you eyeing?

Or factory trimmed. That's a big change too

resqman911

Fenders are stock right now, but I really like the flat fenders so that would be happening at some point. I have heard good things about the Terraflex lift on other forums, but it seems like if you read enough you will find negative reviews on every lift out

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Fenders are stock right now, but I really like the flat fenders so that would be happening at some point. I have heard good things about the Terraflex lift on other forums, but it seems like if you read enough you will find negative reviews on every lift out

I can almost guarantee you'll end up changing everything out in the end. Not very good quality.

KingCopperhead

I'm running the mopar lift which is made by teraflex. It works. But I paid way too much for it, and it doesn't have the adjustability that I want down the line.

If you want to do it right check out the evo enforcer lift. For the money it's the best package out there for a dd that will see trails (and beyond)

Speeddmn

First and foremost, welcome to WAL!

Second, it's your jeep, your money, etc. Buy what you want, but if you want to actually listen to what people say/write vs buying something cheap here is the :two cents: you will likely hear.

Since you have a 2011, you have the 3.8 and all it's glory. Wack the stock fenders into something you like. Go to northridge4x4.com and order up the 3" EVO Enforcer with EVO drag link flip kit. Get that installed with some friends. Drive to ORE (Off Road Evolution) pay them the $999 and get 5.13 gears installed. While there have them toss on a set of "C" gussets for strength and maybe some control arm skids.

Now time for tires, you say 35, maybe 37's. Guess what...you'll end up with 37's so might as well bite the bullet now... Crap that stock tire carrier might not handle that weight... Well order up a rear bumper and install it, then the front won't match so you will need that too.. Then you have a spot for a winch, go ahead and get a Warn in the 9, 9.5, 10k range to be safe.

As you can see this Jeep thing is an addiction, you can't really do one thing w/o wanting then needing to do another. Most people start simple and go from there. So really get the tires you want, FYI Goodyear Wrangler MT-R with kevlar may look appealing, but they will turn into disappointment quickly. Get a budget boost, wack the fenders and go wheel. After a few trips in the dirt/rocks/mud etc you will know what needs attention and what still works for now.

Again, good luck, enjoy the Jeep, give us all a wave on the roads and hope to see you on a trail!

Torqt JK

Second, it's your jeep, your money, etc. Buy what you want, but if you want to actually listen to what people say/write vs buying something cheap here is the :two cents: you will likely hear.

Since you have a 2011, you have the 3.8 and all it's glory. Wack the stock fenders into something you like. Go to northridge4x4.com and order up the 3" EVO Enforcer with EVO drag link flip kit. Get that installed with some friends. Drive to ORE (Off Road Evolution) pay them the $999 and get 5.13 gears installed. While there have them toss on a set of "C" gussets for strength and maybe some control arm skids.

Now time for tires, you say 35, maybe 37's. Guess what...you'll end up with 37's so might as well bite the bullet now... Crap that stock tire carrier might not handle that weight... Well order up a rear bumper and install it, then the front won't match so you will need that too.. Then you have a spot for a winch, go ahead and get a Warn in the 9, 9.5, 10k range to be safe.

As you can see this Jeep thing is an addiction, you can't really do one thing w/o wanting then needing to do another. Most people start simple and go from there. So really get the tires you want, FYI Goodyear Wrangler MT-R with kevlar may look appealing, but they will turn into disappointment quickly. Get a budget boost, wack the fenders and go wheel. After a few trips in the dirt/rocks/mud etc you will know what needs attention and what still works for now.

Again, good luck, enjoy the Jeep, give us all a wave on the roads and hope to see you on a trail!

^^^ what he said

Jeepfan30

This is so true, hilarious!

resqman911

Thanks for the reply. This is not my first Jeep so I know the addiction well. I would rather do it right the first time and have a solid set up.

I have only had this Jeep for 2 weeks and when I bought it I told myself I was going to do a mellow lift and run 33's or 35's. Two weeks later I'm pretty sure I want 37's. Was going to run 5.38 to help my 3.8 out.

Speeddmn

Thanks for the reply. This is not my first Jeep so I know the addiction well. I would rather do it right the first time and have a solid set up.

I have only had this Jeep for 2 weeks and when I bought it I told myself I was going to do a mellow lift and run 33's or 35's. Two weeks later I'm pretty sure I want 37's. Was going to run 5.38 to help my 3.8 out.

5.38's for the mall will be fine, if you want to ever use your lockers, 4 wheel drive or see rocks/dirt just remember the 5.38 pinion gear is so small it will break. The stress of the system is just to great for that amount of metal.

5.13's will be plenty and get you into enough trouble.

sublimesarahb

I had the same issue and went with 3.5 with 35's I'm happy with it so far and an to go to 37's in a few years but clearance is great how it is ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1428436466.176100.jpg

Top Bottom