RK 2.5" stock mod install

JohnnyD

So finally got to installing my RK Stock Mod 2.5" STAGE 1 this weekend. This is the kit that included the RRD shocks.

Have to say off the bat, I'm impressed. I coming from stock rubi 2 door suspension with flats and 35's. Handling is definitely improved. Can't really describe except to say things are well dampened and no more brake dive or takeoff squat. All included parts are very well built.

Install is straight forward BUT on a 2 door you will need to extend brake lines and either an exhaust mod or drive shafts...

I did none of this out the gate.

I DO NOT LIKE THE REAR TRACK BAR BRACKET.....seems to create way too much of poorly placed fulcrum....I will probably look for an alternative. Front track bar seems solid enough, time will tell.

I guess I got lucky and was able to center steering by eye, no bump steer, and no death wobble.

I did not take measurements, but front drive shaft hits and angles are all off lol...

I didn't do arms either.........yet

Whole install took like eight hours but with lots of beer breaks, also took time to really TRY and understand what happening under there...

Best pics I have before and after

Before ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1428352751.898794.jpg

After ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1428352778.431297.jpg

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
You rig looks good with the lift from the side pictures. It would be nice to see a few others of the undercarriage (a front and rear view).

I have the 3.5"RK X-factor on mine with RRD remote resi shocks on 35s. I had the front trackbar mount fail after a handful of moderate trail trips and 8 months of daily driving. I replaced the front and rear trackbar mounts with the EVO (U-bolt mounting) brackets and went back to the ORM trackbars. The ride quality improved (due to the rubber bushings dampening the road vibrations) and I feel a lot more confident taking the Jeep offroad again.

Just something to be aware of.

Hopefully it won't happen to you,
Matt

HeadShrinkerMD

My RK 2.5 stock mod arrived today, goes on this weekend.

Will probably not weld in the rear trackbar bracket and replace with an EVO one in a few weeks.

EVO front control arms also going on soon.

I picked up some exhaust spacers to buy me some time on the front driveshaft, like $40.

OP, your JK looks great at that height! :rock:

jgrove12

I'm saving for the Evo arms myself. And my drive shafts worry me a little my shocks do not allow me to get much down travel right now thought which is good for me right now. I don't know how smart that is but she still rides smooth.

JohnnyD

Thanks for compliments guys. Remember I'm in a two door, I think u jku owners have more wiggle room.

An exhaust mod would work, BUT I will need driveshafts anyway (because I will break the stock ones lol) so I figure go for it.

Now that's she up there a bit, I'm actually debating 37's lol, never thought I'd say it but there it is....

I guess I should get 1350's...that said I will need a regear as well, don't know 513 or 488, have to find someone with 488 and test her out, I have driven on 513's and their ok...

I am pretty sure I will be in Moab this year. My company has a conference each year and this years in Vegas , I will be driving out from ct and extending my stay....I am dying to get confirmation lol....

If when that happens I will be looking for some good folks to wheel with!!!!!

Can anyone say ..ROADTRIP!!!!!

JohnnyD

When it comes to arms, I am still thinkin on some claytons...those guys are in my back yard and I like to keep the love local, and they make some great stuff. That said if I lived near ore I would be 1) broke and 2) never leave until someone gave me a job

Those of you considering this lift, I thought I would post up a pic of the bracket in question and why I feel I could do better...I am no engineer (not a mechanical one anyway) and don't know diddly about weld strength....

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1428408481.348665.jpg

But I do know that this bracket creates a high and out fulcrum, as opposed to stock height and geometry, that I'm almost 100% sure I ain't comfy with....

This is not an RK bash, not at all, the kit I got is well made from a company that had no problem getting the owner on the phone to chat with me for two hours about which way I should go. That speaks volumes in my book. They were more than happy to not sell me anything I didn't want or need for my purposes, I want to see and feel every change and what it does...that's why I went simple and slow. When I talked to them, they even offered to have me to the shop to check things out and involve me in install if I chose that route, pretty cool...

Apologies if I posted anything out of line here just trying to share...

desertrunner

I have that same bracket on my 3.5" but I had it welded right after I put the lift on. I agree with you it puts a huge moment on not much support. The welds that my shop did look kinda crappy but it's held up for 2 years beating it up in Colorado. So if your not afraid to weld it on there mine has held up

seanb123

You are right with the bracket I've had 2 break on me. Not a great design. Look into one with u bolts. For road use you'll be fine. Overall I'm happy with my kit. Had it for 3 years+ now

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Sounds like you have a good plan, I'm sure 37" tires would fit good with those springs on a 2 door, New shaft, just do the 37", never really looked at Clayton, and yes, that rear bracket sucks. I'd get the evo one.
3.6 auto, either gear would work, but most prefer the 5.13

EZ-E

I've got that bracket on my JKU that has seen some decent abuse over the last couple years. Like was stated above, my bracket is welded as well, for additional peace of mind. No problems as of yet!

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
You need to weld that rear bracket to the axle. Keep an eye on how much it rubs the shock's body after you off-road it. In the bracket will hit the shock when you stuff your rear driver's side wheel. You may need to grind down the outer rear corner of the bracket to prevent the contact.

My front RK one failed, not the rear. I replaced the rear when I replaced the front for piece of mind.

JohnnyD

Great feedback guys...appreciate all the input...

I'm gunna wheel it like I stole it...a wise ( or crazy) man once told me when I rolled my first sled...you ain't riding hard enough unless you break somethin...lol...six windshields, two skis and a 90'd a arm later (and thankfully still alive) I really understood what that meant...and it doesn't mean be stupid or kamikaze but to take calculated risks and ride with best you can get, whether people or equipment

This bracket has me conflicted BUT so for piece of mind I'm gunna change it out.

ScoobyCarolanNC

Great feedback guys...appreciate all the input...

I'm gunna wheel it like I stole it...a wise ( or crazy) man once told me when I rolled my first sled...you ain't riding hard enough unless you break somethin...lol...six windshields, two skis and a 90'd a arm later (and thankfully still alive) I really understood what that meant...and it doesn't mean be stupid or kamikaze but to take calculated risks and ride with best you can get, whether people or equipment...

I read a Mario Andretti quote once that basically read; if everything seems under control you're not going fast enough. I want to go wheel with you.

Top Bottom