Shocks Shocks what to go with

Hell_Fire

OK so here it is - after allot of playing and trail blazing and ramping and flexing my rear right shock broke out of the bracket, left one is on its way out, so I take it to the guys who normally sort my Jeep out and they convince me to get rid of the lift I have in, and do a 6" lift (didnt have to bend my rubber arm to far :D ) so the lift is fine as I will be getting 37's in the new year. Problem is we keep bumping heads on what shocks to put in I want BDS shocks and he says I should go for Pro-Comp, which do you guys think is the better one they both more or less the same price after shipping. Also 37s on 6" lift yes or no wont be able to run 40s gonna be way to expensive to get them here.

mackey

No offense, but neither of them. If you want to only make one change and finally be done and happy, get coil overs. Check out EVOs bolt ons. Everyone seems very happy with them

Prime8

I'd stick to 4" or less. Tall jeeps aren't favored anymore. By trimming your fenders or replacing them with flat aftermarket flares, you can fit up to 40s and keep your center of gravity low. As for shocks, Bilstein 5100s are cheap and do surprisingly well for the price, according to many who run them.

Prime8

mackey said:
No offense, but neither of them. If you want to only make one change and finally be done and happy, get coil overs. Check out EVOs bolt ons. Everyone seems very happy with them

Haha, or if you don't want to go so cheap, this is a great option too!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
i'd have to agree with the aboved mentioned. 6" is A LOT of lift and not really what i would recommend unless you're just going for the big jeep "look". as far as shocks go, even the upper end bds or procomp shocks are just okay at best and truth be told, made by the same manufacturer (rancho/monroe) and just re-packaged with different stickers. if you're just looking for new shocks, i would recommend a set of bilstein 5100's, fox or if you can afford it, king. coil overs are awesome but, i would imagine cost prohibitive for you.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What you guys think of the Elka shocks?

eh. i've run them and they do pretty well to eat up bumps when driving fast on fire roads but, they're way too stiff for my taste for daily driving and for the price, i would probably just get a set of fox or king instead.

J-S

Ok thx, I`m askinig because my local shop is giving them for free with any 3 inch+ lift kit until the y are out of stock

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ok thx, I`m askinig because my local shop is giving them for free with any 3 inch+ lift kit until the y are out of stock

giving them away for "free" with any 3" kit, eh? might want to price some kits out and see just how "free" they really are.

J-S

I don`t have much choice in shops around here lol. I will still look around but they were selling it fro 1200$ the teraflex 3 inch

Hell_Fire

Yeah thats what I figured on the 6" lift side my JK sees way to much offroad action to do it just for looks I always thought 4.5" was best @ max so think I will stick with that then.

Shock wise - I would love to get some EVO coil overs or even Kings but as I said, I cant afford to bring in the really good stuff due to the excange rate and import duties and taxes, take $100 x 8 and you get what I would have to pay for one excluding import costs. I will look into the Bilstein 5100s maybe I can get them localy aswell. Fox would be my next best bet, will look into them aswell but they are also getting Pricey. :broke: So not really the answers I was hoping for :grayno:

You guys have all the good stuff over there :usa:

J-S

No they will install it but at a cost (I`m not equiped to do it at my house)

Here`s the description of the kit from their page: The 3" TeraFlex lift will give you increased off road articulation for moderate trails. The three inch kit is perfect for running up to 35" tires. This gives the JK a very balanced look and fills out the wheel wells. The three inch kit includes springs, VSS 9550 shocks, bumpstops, rear swaybar link extension, and front swaybar quick disconnects. Fits all 2007+ JK Wrangler including Rubicon and Unlimited.

***Requires the use of a spacer for the exhaust system for 2012 models.

Manufacturer : Teraflex

Hell_Fire

J-S : Dont put in bumpstop it will shorten your shock travel and limit your articulation.

What do you guys think of Skyjacker shocks??

Top Bottom