Amount of toe, am I overthinking it?

Unfortunately, I do some of my best (and worst) thinking when I'm driving late at night when I should be paying attention to such things as Deer, Elk, and the occasional Purple Elephant.
While milling over the alignment I need to do to my ride when I get home, I was stumped by the amount of toe vs tire size. I know in the writeup it says 1/8" of toe as measured from the tread of the tire. However, am I wrong in my thinking that the amount of toe would be different between, let's say, a stock tire and a 40" monster? If I'm correct, that's almost 10" difference in tire diameter. Should the toe be adjusted accordingly or have I just seen too many Elephants this week?

You can take a measurement of the rear tires and compare to the front tires and that should give you a starting point of where to set the toe.

JokerJKU

Unfortunately, I do some of my best (and worst) thinking when I'm driving late at night when I should be paying attention to such things as Deer, Elk, and the occasional Purple Elephant.
While milling over the alignment I need to do to my ride when I get home, I was stumped by the amount of toe vs tire size. I know in the writeup it says 1/8" of toe as measured from the tread of the tire. However, am I wrong in my thinking that the amount of toe would be different between, let's say, a stock tire and a 40" monster? If I'm correct, that's almost 10" difference in tire diameter. Should the toe be adjusted accordingly or have I just seen too many Elephants this week?

You're correct. It's why most high end alignment machines work in degrees and not inches.

You are correct.... 1/8" (0.125") of measured toe on a 32" tire is 0.1562" on a 40" tire. 3/16" is 0.1875".... I can't read the that small but good luck:yup:

@0.12 deg (max) @ 0.09 deg (min)
32" = 0.1340" - 0.1005"
35" = 0.1466" - 0.1100"
37" = 0.1550" - 0.1162"
40" = 0.1676" - 0.1257"

So the bottom line is 1/8" (0.125") is pretty safe for all :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom