Caster question

mds22

I've read more threads on this than you can imagine, and have found no definitive answer. Many say set your caster around 6* for 3.5"-4" lift. Other threads talk about 6*+ of caster will destroy your brushings and T-case and should keep it closer to stock.
SO HERE'S MY QUESTION:
My caster is at 6 and 6.2, jeep drives great and I do not feel hardly any vibes (haven't been on highway with high speeds yet). Am I safe with my caster there or should I dial it back some? Don't feel like buying another T-case. I think I'm good but want to double check.

My info
I have 3.5 lift with LCAs and stock axle and driveshaft.

It's amazing how much BAD info is out there. I posted this on another forum to see if I get conflicting advice. I know people here call out people giving wrong advise so I'm hoping you all can help.

double carden versus stock drive shaft requires different pinion angles. so with your stock drive shaft you probably can get away with more angle. with the stock axle you only have a total of 6* to work with. so 1.8* of up pinion will leave you with 4.2* castor and would probably be fine with a stock drive shaft.

Some of the angle stuff seems like magic but you are probably getting away with more castor due to your stock drive shaft.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Just went and checked mine, I'm not in perfectly level ground, but it looked between 91 and 92, is this good?

Attachments

• 1428423918819.jpg
    1428423918819.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 92
Just went and checked mine, I'm not in perfectly level ground, but it looked between 91 and 92, is this good?

Looks good but remember we are dealing with 1 and 2* and increments there of so level ground is pretty important. 2 degrees of up pinion is enough to see visually so on the other side (drive shaft side) it should appear to be pointed slightly up.

JeepFan

Hooked
SO HERE'S MY QUESTION:
My caster is at 6 and 6.2, jeep drives great and I do not feel hardly any vibes (haven't been on highway with high speeds yet). Am I safe with my caster there or should I dial it back some? Don't feel like buying another T-case. I think I'm good but want to double check.

My info
I have 3.5 lift with LCAs and stock axle and driveshaft.

Are you safe? Maybe... It really depends on the pinion angle. Since you're running a stock front drive shaft, my guess is your pinion angle is nowhere near zero while running 6* of caster. If it is, then I would say you're okay. From what I've seen and heard, a stock drive shaft rzepa joint will not last long at extreme angles. Not to mention there is a strong likelihood that under extreme articulation the drive shaft boot will hit the exhaust a tear.

If you could post some pics of the pinion side of the drive shaft, I might be able to better answer your question. :yup:

a stock drive shaft rzepa joint will not last long at extreme angles. Not to mention there is a strong likelihood that under extreme articulation the drive shaft boot will hit the exhaust a tear.

If you could post some pics of the pinion side of the drive shaft, I might be able to better answer your question. :yup:

^^^ This ^^^ (I was referring to vibration)

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Yeah, I couldn't check on top of the balljoints, but when I did set mine originally, I had it on level ground and it was on 92 or 88. My gravel driveway isn't the greatest. But at those marks with the level on the pumpkin has been driving great with no vibes.

Yeah, I couldn't check on top of the balljoints, but when I did set mine originally, I had it on level ground and it was on 92 or 88. My gravel driveway isn't the greatest. But at those marks with the level on the pumpkin has been driving great with no vibes.

I hear that. It is definitely a fine line. I don't like how mine drives when I remove ALL vibration so I have dialed it right to the crossover point. Drives(handles) well and only slightly vibrates at high speeds. This is the driving reason I want a new front housing (PR44) strength is great but the 10* of angle to work with is a major selling point with me. :thumb:

JeepFan

Hooked

I have found that the best way to measure pinion angle is to first check it at the pinion flange. Then, check the angle of the drive shaft. Compare the two measurements to obtain pinion angle. 0 - 1* is ideal.

Edit: Sorry, reverse that. Check the drive shaft angle first, then remove the drive shaft from the pinion and check the pinion flange angle. Compare the measurements.

Edit #2: LOL! I can't read. You are talking about caster angles. Sorry!

Last edited:
Top Bottom