Symptoms of bad u joint

Jay_r24

What would be some symptoms of a bad u joint? I keep hearing a thud or a click when turning the wheel and can feel the jolt in the floor board a bit. Checked sway bar links and control arms and they seem to be fine!

jeff_in_rc

Time to check all of your u-joints by seeing if you can shake or move the joint and feel a problem. Start with your driveshaft's then move to the front axles. If just checking them by hand does not find a problem I will suggest you remove each driveshaft and once out and on a bench move each one around and see if they feel stiff or make noise. Then you might need to do the front axles one at a time. Hope this helps.

CandAMudders

axle or drive shaft?

First determine if it is axle or drive shaft u-joint. Did you give them a once over visually? Manually move them back and forth. Bad u-joint on drive shaft will give you a wobble, not a death wobble but you might feel it under your drivers seat.

SFNick

What would be some symptoms of a bad u joint? I keep hearing a thud or a click when turning the wheel and can feel the jolt in the floor board a bit. Checked sway bar links and control arms and they seem to be fine!

Did you check your Track Bar to make sure its torqued properly?

SFNick

If its a driveshaft u-joint you're refering to, you usually will here a ping when shifting into reverse then back to drive. If its a axle u-joint most symptoms are a clicking at first followed by a loud knocking then a pop. Get under there and look them over and see how much play you have. Could be missing a cap or clip.

ScoobyCarolanNC

Owned my jeep for 3 weeks now & I've been trying to track down a strange bang or a pop in the driveline. Please upload that video, I'd love to see if I have the same thing.

Top Bottom