Cutting fender flares.

Bryan__howell

I'm considering cutting my flares. Has anyone done this or had experience with it? Does anyone have any pictures they wouldn't mind showing?

Jtmw

I would argue just about everyone here has trimmed there fenders on here, or thought about it at some point.

IMG_1985.jpg
IMG_1862.jpg

JK LYF

Many have done this. Here's two pics of mine. The second shows what the cut looks like underneath.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1428448857.222718.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1428448885.675958.jpg

HIlife

Here is mine.. just did front for now..

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 565
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 562

desertrunner

My advice would be leave more fender than you think you want, you can always cut more but never less. I hacked mine away and it looks terrible.... Functional but I hate the way it looks.... Just haven't looked for another set of take off yet to 're do mine

desertrunner

Does running without the inner fender liner cause any problems?

Mine flapped around in the wind a little until I zip tied it in one spot. I like haveing it in there still to keep dirt and crap out. You can see the zip tie at the bottom by the rubi rail there is a convenient hole right there

Last edited:

CJW

Does running without the inner fender liner cause any problems?

Not really. But if you want it you can trim that down as well to fit with the trimmed fender. I did this. Someone mentioned using a zip tie to hold the bottom in place and that works. I just drilled a new hole in the body mount and liner and used one of those "tree plug things" that are already holding the rest of it on.

ArmyofMike

Heres mine I left a small lip

For these types of fenders, where you leave a bit of a lip-Do you angled the saw at @ 45degrees, or is it a 90degree side cut? I can't figure out what would be the best angle to get all up in there. My though would be 45, but it seems it would bounce off the inner fender too much.

Thoughts?

And great thread, the visuals of how everyone cut their fenders is great! :rock:

tjcrisostomo

What I did to make a lip was run vinyl tape "black tape" along the top of the fender then used a dremel with the diamond tipped blade. As for the splash guards no real issues just keeping mud and water out of the engine bay.

ArmyofMike

What I did to make a lip was run vinyl tape "black tape" along the top of the fender then used a dremel with the diamond tipped blade. As for the splash guards no real issues just keeping mud and water out of the engine bay.

I have seen most use a sawzall. A dremel would be nice but with such a small cutting area, it seems it would be hard to get a straight line.

tjcrisostomo

I think a sawzall is a bit more violent to control and a bit more bulky. The dremel was easy to control just gotta use a good cutting blade. But everyone has their preferences if you were gonna cut try using either tool on a fender to see what works best for you.

ArmyofMike

I think a sawzall is a bit more violent to control and a bit more bulky. The dremel was easy to control just gotta use a good cutting blade. But everyone has their preferences if you were gonna cut try using either tool on a fender to see what works best for you.

Thanks for the tips. Yours look great.

Top Bottom