WARNING: Edelbrock Super Charger

Sixrox

Edelbrock Super Charger Tuner Issue

First I will use this post to keep others up-to-date on the current situation. Should the issue become resolved, I will post a new review of the Edelbrock Super Charger. If not I will leave this warning for others to see. My goal is that if others are encountering a similar issue and fixed it, please let us know what you did. Or it prompts a discussion of ideas to correct to this.

Thursday night we placed the 2014 Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited on the Dyno with Superchips tuning removed. The jeep has 4.88 gearing, 35" tires, and the AFE Momentum intake. Dyno recorded 203HP and 185 Torque.

The SuperCharger arrived on Friday morning (4.3.2015). By 2pm the Supercharger was installed and ready to be tuned (Tuner was updated). We attempted to load the SCT Tune with the file Provided. Error 110C5 occurred, which indicated that the SCT Tuner still could see the Superchips Tune applied. We spent Friday afternoon and Saturday morning attempting to remove the Superchips Tune. We could not get past error 110C5. Saturday afternoon we had the ECU Flashed by the dealer, and attempted to tune again. Now we received error 110AF. Research indicated that this was a common error on SCT Tuners and Fords due to a firmware issue. At this point we were stuck.

Monday we attempted contacting SCT when they opened, and after nearly 4 hours of trying to reach them, we finally got a hold of them. We explained the issue and they had us attempt to tune it again. After several attempts they had it escalated to their 'engineers'. The engineers responded indicated that we needed to flash the TCU as well, not just the ECU. We got the dealer back over and have now flashed every computer system in the Jeep. Error 110AF still comes up and the tuner will not apply the tune. We received no response the rest of the day from SCT after hourly phone call follow ups.

Tuesday we reached back out to SCT first thing in the morning. They asked us to send them the file of the stock tune. They reviewed the stock tune and said that the 'Boot Logger' still sees something in regards to the SuperChips tuner which will not allow it to apply the tune. They said they have what they call a 'Gate Keeper' that if it sees a tune it will not allow a new tune to apply. The recommended we use a 'different' tuner to apply a file specifically for the SCT Tuner (Impossible or hire someone to custom tune it) or have the ECU replaced by the dealer. Now my issue here is that a jeep with a SuperCharger installed is not going to get the ECU replaced for free by the dealer. Furthermore that's the response?

We have also engaged Edelbrock who indicated that SCT is who we need to talk to. They said they would also reach out, but currently the Jeep is a Brick. I have also reached out to the management team at SCT who have not contacted me back yet.

Currently I recommend anyone who has applied any sort of tune to your Jeep, wait until the issues are resolved before purchasing.

Any help or ideas anyone has, please post here so we can see and update everyone on the progress.

SC1.jpg SC2.jpg

Last edited:

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Welcome to the forum, be honest, I didn't read all that. I really hope you're not one of those guys that signs up just to bash a product you're unpleased with

Sixrox

Not at all. I typically do not use forums all that often as Facebook groups seem to suffice. However given the price of this supercharger and that it is brand new on the market I felt the information should be passed along. From what we have gathered from SCT and Edelbrock, this is the first one installed outside of the Edelbrock Jeep and the Dana Jeep. My Jeep is highly modified, and I am simply looking for idea's or alternatives to correct the issue.

This is the current Build List:

Suspension:
EVO – Bolt on Coilover Kit (Welded) with EVO King Shocks
EVO – King Front Bumpstops
EVO – King Weld in Rear Bumpstops
Synergy – High Clearance Long Arm Kit (Waiting for Install)
Synergy – Tie Rod
Synergy – Drag Link
Teraflex – Monster Front Track Bar
Teraflex – Monster Rear Track Bar
Synergy – Complete Grade 8 Bolt Replacement
Fox – ATS Steering Stabilizer

Drivetrain:
Spicer – Ultimate Dana 60 Front Axle (Waiting for Install)
Spicer – Ultimate Dana 60 Rear Axle (Waiting for Install)
Spicer – 5.38 Gearing (Waiting for Install)
ATX Slabs 17x9 8 Lug (Waiting for Install)
Nitto – Trail Grappler K-Spec 40x13.50x17
Teraflex – Front Brake Lines
Teraflex – Rear Brake Lines
Tom Woods – 1350 Front Driveshaft
Tom Woods – 1350 Rear Driveshaft

Armor:
EVO – ProSeries Front Bumper (Waiting for Install)
EVO – Rear Tire Carrier (Waiting for Install)
EVO – Sliders (Waiting for Install)
EVO – Rock Skins (Waiting for Install)
EVO – Corners (Waiting for Install)
EVO – Rear Bumper Fascia (Waiting for Install)
MCE – Generation II Fenders (Waiting for Install)
Metal Cloak - JK Inner Fender Liners (Waiting for Install)

Performance:
Edelbrock - Supercharger
Dynomax – Rock Crawler Evo exhaust setup
AFE – Momentum GT Stage-2 Pro-Guard 7 Intake System

Electrical:
sPOD – 6 Switch Unit
Rigid – 20” LED Combo Amber\White Light Bar
Rigid – Amber D1 Dually’s
Rigid – Blue D1 Dually’s
JW Speaker – Evolution LED Headlights

Interior:
Rock Hard – Bolt in Cage (Waiting for Install)
Trek Armor – Black\Black Seat Covers
Kicker – 11DX6005 5 Channel Amp
Kicker – 40CSS654 Components in Dash
Kicker – 40CS654 Components in Speaker Bar
Kicker – 40CWRT82 CompRT Sub

Recovery:
Warn - Zeon 8-S
Factor 55 - Loaded Prolink
Powertank

jeeeep

Hooked
i had a similar issue with a "stuck" superchips tune that caused my transmission to feel like it was slipping, after taking it to a good transmission shop they told me the trans was fine, it was the ecu. here's what solved my issue, hope it helps you.
restore the last tune you had and after that's done disconnect the super chips start it up then turn it off.
now restore your stock tune, confirm it's installed, restart the jeep, shut it off.
disconnect the ground from the battery wait 15 minutes then disconnect the positive from the battery (the ground should still be disconnected) and touch the ground and positive cables disconnected cables to each other. connect the cables back to the battery start it up shut it off then try to install your tune, it took care of my issue hope it helps yours

Sixrox

i had a similar issue with a "stuck" superchips tune that caused my transmission to feel like it was slipping, after taking it to a good transmission shop they told me the trans was fine, it was the ecu. here's what solved my issue, hope it helps you.
restore the last tune you had and after that's done disconnect the super chips start it up then turn it off.
now restore your stock tune, confirm it's installed, restart the jeep, shut it off.
disconnect the ground from the battery wait 15 minutes then disconnect the positive from the battery (the ground should still be disconnected) and touch the ground and positive cables disconnected cables to each other. connect the cables back to the battery start it up shut it off then try to install your tune, it took care of my issue hope it helps yours

We did this and had no success, so the dealer came out and did the full reset on all the systems. This jeep is now as stock as stock gets. Thanks for the heads up though!

We also have a new ECU coming in 3 days just in case.

Hobolobo

Can't really help you with your supercharger problem, but that looks like a really cool color you have on your jeep. Got any more pics?

K.D.C.H

Wow, it's like a company bashing and build thread all in one. Welcome to Wayalife, great first impression :D

Wethy

Wow, it's like a company bashing and build thread all in one. Welcome to Wayalife, great first impression :D

Haha is it really bashing just seems like he wants it to work and potentially save others the hassle the OP Is going through until the issues get sorted :p

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Sounds like an issue with the superchips tuner you removed. It happens frequently with their stuff across multiple vehicle manufacturers.

LeighP

Hi,
Hope you can sort this out soon.....sounds like you've stumbled into a mod combination not tested/thought of by the manufacturer.
I guess when they developed the kit, they only thought about the application of fitting to a stock JK, which you'd have to think was fair enough.....I wouldn't have thought about compatibility with non-stock vehicles either, I suppose.
I hope they come through for you.

Last edited:

Hobolobo

All I could think of was "this sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but i sure do love highlift off road". Good looking jeep though. Good luck with your problem though.

Sixrox

First off this is not a basing thread. This is a thread in search of answers and suggestions. Also a notice for others to look for this potential issue. Personally if I bought the supercharger 2 weeks or 2 months from now and this issue was not anywhere to be seen, its a disservice to the offroad community. We are hoping that SCT can correct the 'gate keeper' to allow the tune to be pushed, or now we have learned that anyone who buys the SC may in fact need a new ECU if they have ever had Superchips applied. But we have also not confirmed it is superchips, as the dealer reflash 'Should' have corrected this. The ultimate goal here is to provide in the end what corrected the situation is, be it SCT, a new ECU, or a custom tune. Personally if I was purchasing something brand new to this market, I would hope everyone else would post their findings, so we don't all reinvent the wheel.

First off this is not a basing thread. This is a thread in search of answers and suggestions. Also a notice for others to look for this potential issue. Personally if I bought the supercharger 2 weeks or 2 months from now and this issue was not anywhere to be seen, its a disservice to the offroad community. We are hoping that SCT can correct the 'gate keeper' to allow the tune to be pushed, or now we have learned that anyone who buys the SC may in fact need a new ECU if they have ever had Superchips applied. But we have also not confirmed it is superchips, as the dealer reflash 'Should' have corrected this. The ultimate goal here is to provide in the end what corrected the situation is, be it SCT, a new ECU, or a custom tune. Personally if I was purchasing something brand new to this market, I would hope everyone else would post their findings, so we don't all reinvent the wheel.

Sorry, I call BS. You're here to bash and maybe get some sympathy at the same time.

Top Bottom