Soft doors

robx251

Caught the Bug
Does anyone have any experience with half soft doors and if so what brands and what's everyone's preference

seanb123

I had the bestops for about a day. They didn't fit right at all. They also didn't impress me at all so I took them back.

Grubbicon

Well I have the best top 2 piece soft doors and I have to say I really like them when wheeling but on the road they can be pretty noisy and they are also horrible at holding water out which is not a major concern for me considering my jeep spends most of its time in the garage or out wheeling. I ended getting a rip in the passenger front door when a dog jumped up and stuck its claw through it but I still use them as half doors from time to time on the trail. After the rip I decided I was going to get another set of doors but this time something different to replace it and I ended up getting a set of Rugged Ridge Half Doors. I was going to sell the best top doors to get back some of my money but I decided to keep them because I wasn't fully pleased with these doors. I feel the quality on the latches is pretty crappy considering mine rubs the back of the slot so it is a serious pain to open from the inside. At some point in the future I can see myself getting rid of Rugged Ridge doors and getting a set of Mopar doors. I would say Im probably more of a fan of the Best top 2 piece soft doors overall out of the two.

kaptkrappy

Bestop here.

Lazy Springs 1 .jpg

Completely happy with them. I haven't had my regular doors on in almost 3 years.

They do leak, I don't care. They are noisy, not the doors just the wind noise. They are super cool looking.

They initially took a little work to get them aligned properly, but I have not had to touch the adjustments since.

I would buy them again.

GR8WHITE

I got the bestop soft doors and love them. No issues to this point but, they do leak really badly in heavy rain... ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1428528679.448955.jpg

robx251

Caught the Bug
Thanks guys I have a set of full hard doors for the weather, I'm looking just for something to help block the wind going down the road or maybe keep a little extra mud out on the trail. I had set on my old YJ and miss them but not looking to spend the coin on the mopar half doors. I just wish that I could find them as cheap for the JK as could the YJ

Grubbicon

Thanks guys I have a set of full hard doors for the weather, I'm looking just for something to help block the wind going down the road or maybe keep a little extra mud out on the trail. I had set on my old YJ and miss them but not looking to spend the coin on the mopar half doors. I just wish that I could find them as cheap for the JK as could the YJ
If I were you look around on Craigslist I found my Rugged Ridge doors there for $700 and they were barely ever used. You could also look into local junk yards for a JK that might be recked that has halfdoors on it that are decent shape.

robx251

Caught the Bug
If I were you look around on Craigslist I found my Rugged Ridge doors there for $700 and they were barely ever used. You could also look into local junk yards for a JK that might be recked that has halfdoors on it that are decent shape.

I'm keeping my eyes open but not many JKs up here with the half door option.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Giving this thread a bump since I just got a full set of soft doors. Did any of you bend them to get a better fit?

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Giving this thread a bump since I just got a full set of soft doors. Did any of you bend them to get a better fit?

I don't have any experience with them on the JK yet but on the YJs I had and some friends CJs the top part usually had to be bent a little bit to fit better and to help close/seal better.

Debating about getting these someday for my JK.

MarkW13

Does anyone have any experience with half soft doors and if so what brands and what's everyone's preference

They are definitely better than nothing. My experience was on a yj. I only used the lower half and was pretty happy that my t-shirt wasnt trying to blow over my head. The fit was marginal at best. They are probably ok for a trail door and not much else.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I don't have any experience with them on the JK yet but on the YJs I had and some friends CJs the top part usually had to be bent a little bit to fit better and to help close/seal better.

Debating about getting these someday for my JK.

Got it, thanks for the info. It is definitely the top part that needs a little work to fit better. As soon as the weather clears up, I hope to get all of them on.

Grubbicon

When I used to use mine all the time I would bend the tops every once in awhile but I didnt bend them too far in fear of snapping them.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Yeah it's just enough to slightly bend them every once in a while. Not bending enough like your trying to break them.

Merlin

I bought a set of Bestop soft doors a couple of months ago. Initially, I wasn't too pleased with them. I say this because of the way you have to tweak the frames just to get them to fit properly. My second complaint it how the uppers tend to flop a lot when I go faster than 45mph...especially on a windy day. I am still trying to think of a home brew solution to fix this...any suggestions would be awesome.

I have not driven with them while in a down pour yet, but from what everyone is saying about water leaking...I don't doubt I will get water in my Jeep as well. I really like having just the bottoms on though. To me, this helps a lot with the wind and having random things in Jeep wanting to fly out. I would get the quality of the material a 5/10 and the actual quality of the product a 5/10 as well. Do I persoanlly feel I payed a bit too much for what I got...yes, but I am happy knowing that these are a backup set of doors for 7months of the year. Here are some pics of them on my Jeep.

Merlin

FullSizeRender-1.jpg FullSizeRender-2.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg

kaptkrappy

I bought a set of Bestop soft doors a couple of months ago. Initially, I wasn't too pleased with them. I say this because of the way you have to tweak the frames just to get them to fit properly. My second complaint it how the uppers tend to flop a lot when I go faster than 45mph...especially on a windy day. I am still trying to think of a home brew solution to fix this...any suggestions would be awesome.

Merlin

I un-zip both the front windows a little on the back side (see pic) and it really cuts down on the high speed "lifting" of the uppers. Even in the rain, no more water comes in while they are cracked open.

Un-Zip Window-2.jpg

kfd78

Soft Doors

I have the best top two piece soft doors. I have a latching issue with the drivers door. Have to close it and reach into window to hit latch to get it to catch then zip window from outside. They are awful with holding moderate rain out but I guess they are what they are.

Adam

2Cross

Caught the Bug
I un-zip both the front windows a little on the back side (see pic) and it really cuts down on the high speed "lifting" of the uppers. Even in the rain, no more water comes in while they are cracked open.

View attachment 144031

I've experienced the same problem. I'll have to try that. Other than the "lifting" I love my bestop soft doors.

loonies

I have the bestop 2 piece soft doors and like them a lot. They definitely have a couple tricks I have learned over the years that made me happier.

For one, I got sick of the flapping/separating at highway speeds so I went to wal-mart and bought a couple Velcro straps that I use to secure the top of the window to the roll bar...it works great but you just have to remember to undo the Velcro before you try and open the door.

Second thing I did was wrap a couple microfiber cloths around the main front door supports and zip tie them on...it really helped cut down on the loud flapping at highway speed.

The 3rd was buy a set of bestop TJ mirrors and put them on the front lowers...definitely makes lane changes easier.

Top Bottom