Oil Weight Question

Kpalas

Hey everyone, I saw in a different thread that several members are running 5W30 Mobil 1 in their 3.6 JK, instead of 5W20 as the manual recommends. Can someone clarify the reasons or advantages??

ClarksAdventures

I run the factory recommended 5w20. No need to reinvent the wheel. JMHO.

I'm on the same page. Although I'm thinking of switching to synthetic pennzoil. This is the first vehicle that I will ever keep past my warranty, so I want to make sure the motor will last for a long time.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
I'm on the same page. Although I'm thinking of switching to synthetic pennzoil. This is the first vehicle that I will ever keep past my warranty, so I want to make sure the motor will last for a long time.

+1 on the synthetic. I'm running Penzoil Platinum 5w20. If I ever had a warranty issue, it will be nice to have receipts for Mopar approved oil.

Kpalas

Ya I'll be doing full synthetic also, and I've been partial to Mobil 1, just curious as to why some would run 5w30 instead of 5w20.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Ya I'll be doing full synthetic also, and I've been partial to Mobil 1, just curious as to why some would run 5w30 instead of 5w20.

This has the possibility of opening a can of worms, but be careful as Mobil 1 does not meet the Chrysler spec for oil requirements. I've always been a big fan of Mobil 1, however, I didn't feel like having to justify Mobil 1 if an engine warranty issue ever came up.

noroad

This has the possibility of opening a can of worms, but be careful as Mobil 1 does not meet the Chrysler spec for oil requirements. I've always been a big fan of Mobil 1, however, I didn't feel like having to justify Mobil 1 if an engine warranty issue ever came up.

please explain?

scull20

so mobile 1 syn is not good? or its ok?

It does not meet Chrysler's standards (MS-6395 Specification). That's why a lot of folks are using Pennzoil Platinum instead for the time being (which does meet the standard). I can't imagine that Mobile 1 will cause any issues...however, the mindset is that if push came to shove Chrysler could technically deny a warranty claim if they discover you used an oil that wasn't to their standard.

It was most likely a money thing...they probably gave Pennzoil the jump on the tests to meeting their standards over Mobil, that way they have a 2 year monopoly at Chrysler dealerships as far as oil changes are concerned.

-Ryan

Last edited:

Tanner505

I just did a oil change earlier with pennzoil pure ultra platinum

ClarksAdventures

Curious to know this as well...

I looked it up. Pennzoil claims that the platinum does a 8% better job than Mobil, and Ultra does 25% better. At $45 for oil and filter on Amazon, for the Ultra, that about the se price the dealer tries to charge for just a regular change.

Kpalas

I looked it up. Pennzoil claims that the platinum does a 8% better job than Mobil, and Ultra does 25% better. At $45 for oil and filter on Amazon, for the Ultra, that about the se price the dealer tries to charge for just a regular change.

Thanks for the info!

ClarksAdventures

I was doing a little more googling. AmSoil did a study of different synthetics. You can find it without to much searching.

They use a variety of bench testing to compare products. Thought it was a good read.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
please explain?

Looks like they've got it covered above. :)

I doubt Mobil 1 is going to do any harm. However, if you ever had an engine warranty issue, let's say the infamous head replacement for example, you may have to prove maintenence history.

cuongdyna

I was doing a little more googling. AmSoil did a study of different synthetics. You can find it without to much searching.

They use a variety of bench testing to compare products. Thought it was a good read.

Hey everyone, I saw in a different thread that several members are running 5W30 Mobil 1 in their 3.6 JK, instead of 5W20 as the manual recommends. Can someone clarify the reasons or advantages??

I have a 2012 JK it said to use 5-30 and 2013 an up to uses 5-20. I think Chrysler did it to try to increase mileage. That's my guess.

Top Bottom