37s

Davwashere

Short answer is yes, unless you have a pavement princess. It may not fail right away, but it will eventually fail.

Danger

To start of, I am building a 60 for the front, but I have had to deal with a high pinion 30 for a few years now. I did all normal upgrades to make it work. I run 37 14.5 irocks with a Detroit . I try not to bounce it real hard or stomp pedal when I'm binded in a turn. That sort of good practice anyway. Like I was saying, I am going to a 60 but I have been surprised at the amount of wheeling my 30 has taken.

CRAZYCASEY

You will get all kinds of answers based on the type of wheeling people do. I could not stop breaking chromolly axles in a D44 with 37s and I am not a throttle junkie.

Yeep

I took a bounce with my 37's over a seemingly normal pile of rocks recently and gave it a little too much gas...which quickly resulted in a broken rear axle shaft....

IMO the Achilles heel of a D44 (rear) is the flange and outer bearings. Even a stock JK can push the GWR of a D44 axle. Add armor and gear and you are overloading it. The most common failure I've seen (and experienced) is bent flanges.

Running larger tires and/or less backspacing increases the leverage on this already weak point. The main reason I want a D60 in the rear is for the higher GWR. If a full float D44 were available I would likely go with that...

Many aftermarket shafts are made of a material that had better memory characteristics so when the flange bends it returns. This has gotten me by thus far, but as I continue to add weight to my rig I'm not sure for how long. This said, I just recently went to an ARB rear locker with 35 spline shafts and they are WAY more beef than the stock 32.... :fingers crossed:

Take it easy on your front and beef up that steering too.
This really sucks.

20140825_121959_zps55a9791f.jpg

CanadianJK72

I'm running 37's on stock axles an are doing just fine , I have a truss going on along with steering upgrades , I wouldn't recommend it as a permanent solution I have aleaady blown a ring an pinion an im now in the middle of a 1 ton swap

I'm running 37's on stock axles an are doing just fine , I have a truss going on along with steering upgrades , I wouldn't recommend it as a permanent solution I have aleaady blown a ring an pinion an im now in the middle of a 1 ton swap

How is already blown a ring and pinon running on stock axles doing fine? :thinking:

Blowing a R&P and doing just fine don't sound mutually exclusive. Ha!!! :brows:
Congrats on the ton swap. That, along with steering assist, really are great for peace of mind.

CanadianJK72

Blowing a R&P and doing just fine don't sound mutually exclusive. Ha!!! :brows:
Congrats on the ton swap. That, along with steering assist, really are great for peace of mind.

As I mentioned I wouldn't recommend it permanently being a solution , thanks ! It's coming along nicely can't wait for peace of mind hahah

Yeep

Was your D44 beefed up at all or stock?

Stock rear axle on 5.13's... The housing is fine, the axle shaft snapped at the splines....too much gas and once the tire got traction after a bounce it snapped way easier then I would have expected

CJW

I have D44s and 37s. I've personally never had a problem (knock on wood), but I also always use as little gas as possible on all obstacles. I have been on runs though where I've seen both; axle shafts snap and blown ring and pinions. It'll work.....for a while. How long depends on terrain and the skinny pedal.

CanadianJK72

I have D44s and 37s. I've personally never had a problem (knock on wood), but I also always use as little gas as possible on all obstacles. I have been on runs though where I've seen both; axle shafts snap and blown ring and pinions. It'll work.....for a while. How long depends on terrain and the skinny pedal.

I couldn't agree more on that ! :thumb:
ultimately you can make it work but as dyno Max said its the peace of mind your after

Top Bottom