CB radio choices?

MadMedic

I have been looking for the past several days trying to decide on a CB. I have narrowed it down between the Cobra 29 lx and, the Uniden bearcat 980 ssb. just wondering what you guys that are running CB's think and, what you are running and like? With that being said i am leaning towards the uniden bearcat just due to the size difference.

Flyer

The Bearcat looks good to me. I run the Uniden 520XL, which has probably been around a long time. The 980 looks more updated and has more features. I mounted mine right above my rear-view mirror and the 520 was the smallest good one I could find. If you are doing the same, get the smaller one.

MadMedic

The Bearcat looks good to me. I run the Uniden 520XL, which has probably been around a long time. The 980 looks more updated and has more features. I mounted mine right above my rear-view mirror and the 520 was the smallest good one I could find. If you are doing the same, get the smaller one.

That's the reason I like the bearcat. It's appears to be smaller in size than the cobra. But, thanks for the info. I think I have made my mind up on the bearcat. Just trying to get an idea what some other like minded ppl thought. Lol.

Flyer

I would lean that way for sure. Uniden and Cobra make excellent CBs but the smaller one wins out since the JK is a bit compact and I don't like metal objects in the cab, sticking out any more than they have to. A couple of guys have commented on how clear I sound and the range seems good too. It is a stock radio- not tuned.

MadMedic

I would lean that way for sure. Uniden and Cobra make excellent CBs but the smaller one wins out since the JK is a bit compact and I don't like metal objects in the cab, sticking out any more than they have to. A couple of guys have commented on how clear I sound and the range seems good too. It is a stock radio- not tuned.

Sweet! Just curious what kind of range are you getting?

jjlong

Check out the Cobra 75 S. I've had zero problems with it and when I don't need the whole thing just goes in the center console.

cbmatt66

I have to Midland 75-822. I haven't had any issues so far.
Like the Cobra 75 S, when not in use I can put it in the center console.
I've only used it within about a 1.5 mile range.

Wideglide10

I run a midland 1001LWX. The reason I chose midland is it is the same mini size so I can go above my mirror and it is one of the only ones that size with a weather band.

HoosierWolf

I have a Cobra 25WX which allows me to get NOAA weather info. I like it and it fits in the jeep okay. I had to do some tweaking to a mount to put it where I wanted it but I've been happy.

I wouldn't say the range is great. I'm thinking of having it tweaked to see if I get better range out of it.

chipper

Yeah I went with the uniden bearcat 980 ssb. I looked real hard at the cobra 75.

Im curious, what was it about the cobra 75 that made you not go with it? I'm also in the market. But I can't decide on a hard fixed mount CB , or one I can keep in the glovebox. I do like that bearcat 980 also

MadMedic

Im curious, what was it about the cobra 75 that made you not go with it? I'm also in the market. But I can't decide on a hard fixed mount CB , or one I can keep in the glovebox. I do like that bearcat 980 also

The only thing that kept me away from it, is everything I read and watched said that the speaker was not very good. And, that you would need an external speaker. So to save time I went with the 980.

As far as mounts. I went with the rugged ridge mount. It's sturdy as all get out. I'm very satisfied with the mount and the radio. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1429208623.212446.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1429208643.276998.jpg

Sorry the pic are kinda dark. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom