Rust and my Jeep Wrangler

Doplar

Hello All,

So I have a 2014 jeep wrangler and it is coming up on its 2 year anniversary. I was wondering how some of you tackle rushing on the underside of your jeeps. I've noticed rush around some bolts and in other places. for a short while before I bought this jeep I owned a 2002 wrangler and every time I brought it in for maintenance or repair the shop guy would comment on the rust and how quickly jeeps rust out.

So you guys are some of the most knowledgeable jeepers i know. How do you tackle or prevent rusting?

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I usually just touch it up with rustolium from time to time. I tape up the ball joints and other parts I don't want painted. for areas like the brake callipers I use glad Press and Seal, as it sticks to anything and itself very well and is a great paint shield.

Lots and lots of work....

After every wheeling trip I clean the belly (very well) and then spray paint any new scratches. In the fall before winter, I do the same but add a coat of ATF (usually used). I put it in an old weed sprayer and park the Jeep in a spot of the driveway that rarely gets used. I spray almost everything with a thin coat. It will smoke some on the next start, but not for long.

ATF has climbing agents that help it treat places you can't spray directly. For some reason road grime doesn't stick to ATF even when wet. All winter long I can spray the bottom and it comes clean right away, yet I can see the water bead up like wax. By spring it is fairly worn off which is good for the next wheeling seasons paint treatments.

JudeinPa

I was noticing the rusting on my 2015 jK. It was purchased in October 2014 and the front and rear axles look like they are 10 years old. I am hoping on getting to this this weekend when I install my wheel spacers. I bought some Eastwood rust converter, rust incapsulator and satin black frame paint to finish it off. Hope this at least slows it down.

OJK12

Lots and lots of work....

After every wheeling trip I clean the belly (very well) and then spray paint any new scratches. In the fall before winter, I do the same but add a coat of ATF (usually used). I put it in an old weed sprayer and park the Jeep in a spot of the driveway that rarely gets used. I spray almost everything with a thin coat. It will smoke some on the next start, but not for long.

ATF has climbing agents that help it treat places you can't spray directly. For some reason road grime doesn't stick to ATF even when wet. All winter long I can spray the bottom and it comes clean right away, yet I can see the water bead up like wax. By spring it is fairly worn off which is good for the next wheeling seasons paint treatments.

Did you have to open up the nozzle on the weed spryer at all? Me and a buddy were thinking about using one but didn't think the oil would go through it.

Once a year I spray linseed oil everywhere on the underside of the jeep. Just clean it first and let it dry for a day and then spray a lot of linseed oil. Do not forget to spray inside the frame also. Do that everyyear and the car will never rust. Supercheap and only takes like 30 minutes to one hour.

JudeinPa

Here is a picture of my JKU going through 1 winter in PA. Second picture is after treating with Eastwood's rust converter. Has to dry 48 hours before painting so I plan on painting it when I tear it back down installing my lift.

IMG_0402.jpg IMG_0404.jpg

Doplar

Hey JudeinPA,

I have a bunch of sections of my Jeep looking like that. I don't have alot of experience taking my Jeep apart to get into all the tight areas. The NE winters seem really tough on Jeeps, especially with all the road salt. That stuff really gets caked on.

I'm going to take some picts and post them. As someone who is pretty nubish, I might try a few small sections of the undercarriage. My biggest concern is I that I paint/use rustoleum on something I shouldn't.

thanks for the picts and the recommendations.

btw, do you have any picts of what parts of the jeep look like after the rust converter but before you painted it?

JudeinPa

Doplar, Here are a few more pics of the rust treatment before painting. I also see that I missed a few spots but will hit those areas with the rust encapsulator. It would have been a lot easier to coat if I had everything removed before the lift install but this is my daily driver. I hope to have it finished within a few weeks though.

IMG_0407.jpg IMG_0409.jpg IMG_0411.jpg

TJeep_1999

I'm having the same issue w/ my new 2015. There are even a few quarter sized spots where the paint has flaked off the axle. No winter driving and only 600 road miles on the Jeep. Is this something that would be covered under warrenty, or should I just handle it on my own????

I know it's not a huge project, but I bought a new Jeep instead of another used TJ so I wouldn't have to deal with stuff like this... at least for awhile :rolleyes2:

tonytony9

Doplar, Here are a few more pics of the rust treatment before painting. I also see that I missed a few spots but will hit those areas with the rust encapsulator. It would have been a lot easier to coat if I had everything removed before the lift install but this is my daily driver. I hope to have it finished within a few weeks though.

View attachment 137182 View attachment 137183 View attachment 137184

This looks amazing! Will def get this and do it this summer to my 08 jku which looks pretty aged on the bottom

Doplar

I'm pretty excited to tackle the rust on the bottom of my jeep this summer.

Are their any does and don't that I need to be careful about?

Samlautranger

Don't get me started on Jeeps rusty Drive Shafts either. :mad:

We still have a 2002 Toyota Tacoma, did the undercoating/soundproof treatment from Zeibart about a week after purchased. Still no rust on the underside, looks nice and black. Where as my 2009 Jeep, within one year looked older than the Toyota. :mad:

If get a new Jeep taking straight to Zeibart.

Diablo

On my 2014 I fab'd mud flaps on all 4 corners to run in the winter. Getting to my hunting spots I have to travel quite a bit on slushy roads. In the fall I spray EVERYTHING under it with WD-40 (go through 3 cans) and run the flaps as to limit the snow and salt. This combo works great, during the spring I remove the flaps and wash the whole under carriage and have absolutely no rust.
Snow 2015.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom