What to spen $$$ on?

colo dean

So I am trying to decide which to upgrade next. I have a '14 2 door, so far all stock except I have the Poison Spyder brawler rockers and a Rock Hard cage. Plans are to lift 2 1/2" and run 35's eventually. Right now its only mild wheeling since everything is stock but I eventually want to do moderate trails/rock crawling. With that in mind, which way would be the best to go?

Body Armor front bumper, Viair on board system w/tank and 8 or 9k winch for about $1200.

AEV 2 1/2" lift and wheel spacers (for stock wheels) about $1150

Rock Hard rear bumper and tire carrier with basket above tire (looking to hold stuff for camping) about $1100

or Rock Hard skid plates - oil/auto trans, transfer case, fuel tank and evap skids. About $1100

The $1200 is pretty much my limit. The bumper/winch/air would be nice so I can have some recovery options if needed (have other recovery gear already) Lift helps with some clearance issues, rear bumper would mostly benefit camping needs since the 2 door doesn't have a lot of room for 4 of us and benefits later when I can afford to go up in tire size. Skid system would help with ground clearance until lift and tires happen. Eventually I plan to have all of this (well, and more) but will take time in between to save up for it.

Any help deciding which way to go first?

I know a lot of people on this forum swear by the Evo Enforcer lift, although it's a lot more than your budget. This will be my first major mod once I get the money. I was thinking about going with a teraflex lift but after hearing that I'll always want to upgrade it, I figure why would I waste the money if I'm just going to change it later. Then again, I haven't really heard anything bad about the AEV lift.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Yep, open to any suggestions.

Great, first off is your JK are Rubicon?

Second, things in your list that I would reconsider is your lift choice. I have no personal experience with AEV, there are a lot less expensive options out there. And honestly it doesnt take a lot to get advertised 35s under a JK.

Here is a picture of Youngfire's JK with a 1.75" daystar front spacers and 35 Trail Grapplers. 1428681437975.jpg

Being that you have a two door your drive shafts will need to be addressed once you lift it more that 2.5". This is because of the angle the lift puts on the drive shaft boots which puts it in a constant state of pinch.

If you are dead set on replacing your springs, Rancho offers their 2" sport system that I ran on my 2009 JKU.

I personally have only done an oil pan skid and is the only skid I suggest you get.

So in closing, since your goal is 35s. Id get the wheel spacers, a lift and compressor (to refill your tires after wheeling) first. Then wheel it progressively until you feel that you really need all that armor. You may find that you dont and it would save you a lot of money.

Hope this helps.

JAGS

Hooked
I'd look to see if some type of budget boost would meet your needs. With most "advertised" 2.5 inch lift, your going to sit much higher and that will mean new drivelines.

A budget boost will easily get you to run 35s. And it's budget friendly while not changing the ride quality. Grab some rancho shocks and your set. For a front bumper, I'd maybe look at LOD, EVO or maybe RockHard. USA quality. Even with the bumper and BB you'd still have some money left over. 👍🏼

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I'd look to see if some type of budget boost would meet your needs. With most "advertised" 2.5 inch lift, your going to sit much higher and that will mean new drivelines.

A budget boost will easily get you to run 35s. And it's budget friendly while not changing the ride quality. Grab some rancho shocks and your set. For a front bumper, I'd maybe look at LOD, EVO or maybe RockHard. USA quality. Even with the bumper and BB you'd still have some money left over. 

Plus, when/if you decide to go bigger, you can sell the budget boost at a later date to another person with a JK who is in the same boat you are now.

colo dean

First off, thanks for the replies. It's not a Rubicon, she's a Sport. I had thought about the BB but looked into the AEV because someone mentioned the dual rate springs and not sagging with the weight of later add-ons as well as a decent ride since it is a DD. I'm not necessarily sold on a spring lift, was just my initial thoughts. Northridge rep said with that kit, no exhaust or drive line mods would be needed.

With the budget lifts, I got a little confused as some 2" lifts come with track bar brackets and extended sway bar brackets and such so it made me wonder if it would cause problems with the BB since they (some) don't come with them. I was told if I go over 2 1/2" drive line issues will happen and I don't need that problem right now.

To make it even easier, there are other lifts of varying height that one company includes this and that but another doesn't. Makes it hard to determine if someone is selling me stuff I don't need, or if the other is leaving it out to because it's not needed or to make the kit more affordable. Ahh the Jeep life...........too many choices..........

As far as bumpers, I prefer to buy USA products, the wife just liked the look of the Body Armor one but its not set in stone.

Appreciate all the input!

Top Bottom