Interstate driving

Spencer11496

I'm a high school senior that's about to graduate, hopefully, and will be headed off to college pretty soon.

My jeep is an auto 07 2dr and has a 3" lift with 315/75/r16 tires and from some research it's supposed to have 4.10s but just to be sure I just sent my VIN in to get the build sheet.

Essentially my question is: What will 3 hours of interstate driving be like?

I've never taken her above 65mph, but when I have she's smooth, just has crazy hood flutter.

Thanks for helping a newb!

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
It is just like driving normally, just longer. Driving above 65 will kill your mpgs. And driving that long will require a gas stop.
For the hood flutter, an inexpensive way to prevent that is to put a zip tie around the two hood latches.

JKWrang

If you've never taken your jeep above 65 and you have crazy hood flutter invest in hood latches.

My hood doesn't flutter until about 75 + and my 08 didn't either.

seanb123

I have my 2dr with 35s and cruise at 75-80 most of the time on the highway. Taking 2 hour trips almost every other weekend. You will be fine. If you don't have 4.10 you better learn how to press that o/d button on hills. I put 5.13 in mine and I couldn't be happier regear might be something to think about for the long haul.

scull20

There's various remedies for the hood flutter. I heard taking the spring out helps too.

As far as driving, you'll be fine above 65. I usually cruise along around 75, passing at 80 ish with no problems.

robx251

Caught the Bug
A 2dr jk. On 35s with 488s here. Great combo. Low enough to wheel bit not revving super crazy at 75-80. Just over 3k. Does love gas at that speed I am seeing around 12-13mpg at those speeds but cruising around 45-55 on back roads seeing 18 or so.

Gmwelder86

There's various remedies for the hood flutter. I heard taking the spring out helps too.

As far as driving, you'll be fine above 65. I usually cruise along around 75, passing at 80 ish with no problems.

Took the spring out of my 14 and all hood flutter went away. Price was right compared to changing hood latches

Mtbhjm

I have an 09 4-door Rubicon with a 2.5" lift and 35s. I don't get much hood flutter until I get going faster than 80-85mph so I don't know what's going on with yours at 65mph. As far as maintaining highway speeds goes, I have a CAI, throttle body spacer, and a Superchips Flashpaq (not sure how much of a difference that stuff actually makes performance-wise) and I get about 17.5mpg at 75mph. I've done plenty of 3hr drives and never had a problem. As someone mentioned previously, you will have to stop for gas or you will be near empty when you get to your destination. Hope this helps.

JKDriver07

Daystar hood latches are an effective and inexpensive way to stop hood flutter. They are super easy to install as well.

Flyboy88

3 hours isn't bad. I did 12 hours each way last week. As comfortable as a JK is, I still laid in the floor with a 6 pack when I got there. ;)

Wardell

My Rubicon X came with the vented hood, which seems to cut down on hood flutter quite a bit. The only time I notice any significant flutter is when I'm passing an oncoming tractor trailer. Mind you, that hood isn't cheap... so hood latches are probably a better option.

Warebear

My Rubicon X came with the vented hood, which seems to cut down on hood flutter quite a bit. The only time I notice any significant flutter is when I'm passing an oncoming tractor trailer. Mind you, that hood isn't cheap... so hood latches are probably a better option.

I was wondering about that, my x hood flutters a lot when I'm on the interstate, nothing that I worry about but I never had that problem on my TJ.

Top Bottom