Serpentine belt

jconn47

Decided to take the jeep out to a local off-road course here to see what it could do stock before I buy any big upgrades. Needless to say I was very impressed with what it could do. I knew they were tough even stock but what she did today was brilliant for a relatively inexperienced newbie like me.

That being said I did have an issue only 30 minutes or so in. After getting out of a particularly deep water hole (barely) I noticed some smoke coming out of the engine. Probably just water right? Well then my battery indicator went off, my temp gauge went hot, and my power steering was non existent. We made it to the parking lot, opened up the hood and saw a shredded tangle of something that at one time, must have been my serpentine belt.

We managed to get ahold of another one and put it on to save the rest of the day but we were curious as to what would have made that happen. A stray rock or a strong gush of water?

jeeeep

Hooked
one of the tension pulleys may have seized up for a moment, did you check all the pulleys so make sure they spun freely?

Also, if any oil or similar got on it it'll fly off - happened to me when my hydro steering hose from the reservoir leaked.
After I repaired it, I was bleeding the system and using the remote start so I was able to watch it flip off. surprised me it would fly off so easily.

edit - it didn't leak because i repaired it lol, it leaked so I repaired it....

Last edited:

jconn47

I was surprised that one of the pulleys(water pump maybe?) doesn't have anything but the belt tension to hold it on.but that must be what happened. Thanks!

Josh27

I shredded my factory serpentine belt messing around in the snow one night. Probably due to high rpm's and It might have jumped off a pulley or something. My buddy that was driving with me was in his 05 impala that has a 3800 in it and just happened to have a spare belt and It fit my jeep perfectly. Got back to town and bought a new stronger belt along with a spare to keep with me at all times... haha. Haven't had a problem since though.

jconn47

I shredded my factory serpentine belt messing around in the snow one night. Probably due to high rpm's and It might have jumped off a pulley or something. My buddy that was driving with me was in his 05 impala that has a 3800 in it and just happened to have a spare belt and It fit my jeep perfectly. Got back to town and bought a new stronger belt along with a spare to keep with me at all times... haha. Haven't had a problem since though.

Thanks man. That's what I was thinking is buying a spare.

Top Bottom