Engine Troubles 2008 3.8

tjssixx

Has anyone else had issues with a clicking sound coming from the engine? My son's 2008 with 80,000 miles is making a clicking sound and is currently at the dealer. They found a cracked exhaust manifold...replaced that and still clicking...they open up the top end of the motor...replaced the lifters and still clicking. They are now looking at the bottom end of the motor. It's all under warranty (10 yr / 100,000) bumper to bumper - so cost is not an issue. Just curious!

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Is it an auto or a manual? And are you sure that it is comming from the engine? And do you hear it all the time or just some of the time?

Usmcvet8585

Does it happen when moving, parked or both? A lot of time clicking will come from a bad boot on the stock driveshaft... That's the only clicking I have ever heard coming from a JK, but I am no master mech.

jeeeep

Hooked
there was another member on here that had a clicking issue, turned out to be the heat shield weld had broken and the clicking noise was traveling up through the body. a self tapping screw took care of it for him...just a thought

desertrunner

I know it's a different engine but my buddy just did a valve job on his 4.0L and after he cranked it over we were freaking out about a ticking noise, it just turned out to be one of the check valves in his vacuum system.

tjssixx

It's a manual and yes it was coming from the engine for sure. It was doing it all the time, but of course idle was the only time it could really be heard. Talked to the dealer today, and they have ordered a new/rebuilt engine for my 2008 JK. They pulled the bottom end and found the bearings had flat spots and found metal shavings. New engine should arrive in a few days and they will transfer over any stuff not included on the new engine block. In talking with the dealer, they suggested a new clutch and flywheel as well, as the labor for this will be picked up by the warranty service on the engine, all I need to do is pay for the parts. I will say, even though it has been in the shop for quite a while (going on a month), the dealer kept us informed every step of the way and the Zurich extended warranty adjuster has been great to work with. It didn't hurt that the Jeep was purchased and had every service required by Jeep at this dealer - even had the oil changed every 5k - again at this dealer. So with all the service records, Zurich had no room to wiggle out stating bad service. Coming home soon, it's the black one as the white is a 2013.

10881523_10205757358599690_8501423932950757151_n.jpg

Last edited:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
That is great to hear it is all being covered under warranty. And glad to see that it is working out even though it is slow going. :thumbup:

Top Bottom