Learn from my mistake with an ARB replacement for your Rubi Locker!

If you are swapping a JK Rubicon locker for an ARB learn from my mistake!

Well, this is not the way we had hoped to end our second test drive after our recent gear change. As part of this gear swap we also replaced the factory Rubicon Locker with an ARB air locker. This unfortunately is where my error was made that resulted in a total pinion bearing failure.

IMG_20150411_130836032.jpg

Clearly written in the ARB directions is a page dedicated to ensuring the axle tubes have sufficient draining for the oil to make its way back into the case. Unfortunately, I misinterpreted the need for as part of the install. You see, with many differentials the gear oil actually drains from the tube back into the case through the bearings. However, when you add an ARB locker this drain path is essentially closed off by the actuator slip ring. Oil that makes its way into the tube must have a return path.

IMG_20150411_163314859.jpg

I failed to do this… As you can see here there is a notch at the top of the tube entry but not at the bottom. This allowed oil to enter the tube and never return to the case (at least quick enough to keep everything properly lubed.

IMG_20150411_163254126.jpg

The result was this with less than 100 miles. When I went to pull the cover I found very little oil in the gear case. I wondered where it had gone as there were no signs of leaks. Then, when I pulled the driver's axle I found it... The oil came gushing out!

IMG_20150411_171034006.jpg

I have now added the drain notch and will be contacting Northridge when they open tomorrow to get another R&P and overhaul kit headed my way.

IMG_20150412_133412069.jpg

Hopefully this helps keep someone out of trouble.

The silver lining is I am in the middle of switching my WAL sticker from silver to blue so I brought no embarrassment to the forum while on a roll-back ;)

You do that to both sides?

The directions said to so I also added a small groove on the other side as well. I made this one much smaller as the oil can drain through the bearing on that side.

Edit to add. There was not an abnormal amount of oil in the passenger side on disassembly.

Wow that sucks to hear but glad you got it figured out.

Yea, I hope this fixes it. I've done gears before but this is my ARB install. Honestly, I was damn happy with this setup. Everything was nominal other than pinion bearing preload which was in spec but on the low side. (JKs have a really high new preload spec.) The pattern was tits laroo! (Aka good)

OJK12

Yea, I hope this fixes it. I've done gears before but this is my ARB install. Honestly, I was damn happy with this setup. Everything was nominal other than pinion bearing preload which was in spec but on the low side. (JKs have a really high new preload spec.) The pattern was tits laroo! (Aka good)

Did you have to use a case spreader to get it in or not?

Did you have to use a case spreader to get it in or not?

Yes, I have done gears without a spreader before, but with the needed carrier preload and way everything goes together it was not possible for me to do this without it.

Only the bearing preload holds the locker tube and slip ring in place. If it is build with a light carrier preload the copper tube will move and wear.

Wizard

You freaked me out with this thread title. :doh:

I'm just waiting for new axles to arrive so that I can have the e-locker in my Rubicon replaced with an ARB locker, and everything I'd read said that this was a good option. Then when I read this thread title I thought there was something I'd missed.

Thanks for the warning with the notches to allow the oil flow. I contacted my installed who was fully aware of the importance of this addition, so all good there for me.

I feel for you with this failure, and hope you get back on the tracks quickly.

Zero for two on gear changes. Maybe pay someone to do it right next time.

??? :thinking: This is the first issue I've ever had ?

The issues I had with the wife's axle work was done by a "reputable" local shop and failed. I rebuilt it and she has put 3k miles on it issue free.

GRNHORN

Jay,

Just curious, if you have the rubi locker why switch to the ARB? not trying to put you on the spot.

Jay,

Just curious, if you have the rubi locker why switch to the ARB? not trying to put you on the spot.

Not putting me on the spot at all. I am an open book... Thus this thread. I don't mind sharing mistakes in an effort for others to learn from them.

I tried to remove the factory carrier without putting my case spreader on the housing. It got cocked when removing it and rather then putting the spreader on Alana and I thought all it needed was a little tap from with a mallet on the ring to straighten it up. This did in fact work, but she had a bad swing and accidentally broke the connector on the coil rendering my factory locker inoperable.

Rather than purchase a new factory locker we opted to go with the stronger and more reliable ARB. This also meant upgrading the shafts to 35 spline from our existing 32.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
??? :thinking: This is the first issue I've ever had ?

The issues I had with the wife's axle work was done by a "reputable" local shop and failed. I rebuilt it and she has put 3k miles on it issue free.

Thought you installed the other ones. I was wrong.

Top Bottom