Powerplant 9.5 with additional tank?

I've been looking at getting an onboard air system, but the Powerplant seems to be the best option when considering you get a winch as well.

The Powerplant has a half gallon reserve tank. The onboard air systems have 2-3 gallon tanks.

Is anyone using an additional air tank with the Powerplant?

Pros, cons?

The idea with the additional tank would be faster tire fills (37s) and longer tool use with less compressor cycling. Obviously the cycle would be longer to fill the additional tank. (maybe my logic is flawed)

Also could this be used to run air lockers? I have my Rubi lockers so it's not needed, but I will eventually upgrade my axles.

I'm not opposed to having a non Powerplant winch with a separate onboard air system.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I see you have an 07. You can buy the 2 gallon viair tank and mount it between your radiator and engine using Dominion Offroad brackets. You could plumb the tank but I haven't seen it done.

Good luck!

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug
The Warn Powerplant HD 12 is $100.00 +/- more than than the Powerplant HD 9.5......The dimensions seem to be the same just one is rated at 12,000 lbs vs 9,500 lbs for the other.......for the extra $100 in price wouldn't the Powerplant HD 12 be a better buy.....I see a few people here are running the Powerplant HD but don't list the size......just curious which one everyone is running.....

I'm going with the Powerplant HD winch because of the air compressor feature and I'm going to pair it with the EVO 1/4 Pounder so it sits lower and doesn't block my grill, radiator, and heat sink cooler.......

Any input you can share on this would be greatly appreciated.........

~Woodrow~

K.D.C.H

I see a few people here are running the Powerplant HD but don't list the size......just curious which one everyone is running.....

Any input you can share on this would be greatly appreciated.........

I have the Powerplant 9.5 and most run the 9.5 over the 12 also. I was also thinking of the 12 before I purchased mine so I messaged Eddie and he said Moby and Rubicat both had the 9.5

I'm gonna go with the 12,000 power plant. Figure it can't hurt.

Something to think about is if you go with the 12 you won't be able to upgrade the cable to the Warn Spydura rope. I believe the ropes are only rated for winches to 10k. You'd be stuck with steel cable. There may be 12k rated ropes but I'm not 100% sure. Someone else may know

Lil Nasty

Aren't the 9.5's faster winching then the 12's? And I believe they hold a little bit more cable. This was my understanding when I bought mine. It may not be true.

K.D.C.H

Aren't the 9.5's faster winching then the 12's? And I believe they hold a little bit more cable. This was my understanding when I bought mine. It may not be true.

Not sure on winching speeds but I know the 12 only comes with 80' of cable whereas the 9.5 comes with 125'. 45' difference is a lot to give up if you ask me.

bkac

Caught the Bug
Not sure on winching speeds but I know the 12 only comes with 80' of cable whereas the 9.5 comes with 125'. 45' difference is a lot to give up if you ask me.

I have the 12k, I put 125 of 18k synthetic line on mine. It held it with no problems.

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug
Thank you all for your input.......if the 9.5 is on the front bumper of Moby then it should be sufficient for my rig :thumb:

~Woodrow~

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I have the Powerplant 9.5 and most run the 9.5 over the 12 also. I was also thinking of the 12 before I purchased mine so I messaged Eddie and he said Moby and Rubicat both had the 9.5

Something to think about is if you go with the 12 you won't be able to upgrade the cable to the Warn Spydura rope. I believe the ropes are only rated for winches to 10k. You'd be stuck with steel cable. There may be 12k rated ropes but I'm not 100% sure. Someone else may know

There's several places that sell synthetic rope rated for more than 10k. 👍

jorgelrod

Hooked
I have the 12k, I put 125 of 18k synthetic line on mine. It held it with no problems.

I see from your profile pic, you have a roller fairlead, did you change it for a hawse when you moved to synthetic or are you still using the the roller fairlead with the synthetic line???

Wardell

Good to know. I wonder why Warn sells the 12 with only 80' but puts 125' on the 9.5?

The stronger line used on the 12 is also thicker, so you can't fit as much of it on the same size spool. IIRC, both Powerplants come with the same size spool and have the same external dimensions, it's just the line, motor and other internals that are different.

bkac

Caught the Bug
I see from your profile pic, you have a roller fairlead, did you change it for a hawse when you moved to synthetic or are you still using the the roller fairlead with the synthetic line???

Yes, I have changed it to a hawse before I ever used it.

sjd78

How are the air compressors on the power plants, do they fill up 37" tires pretty quick? Do you have to let the compressor cool in between tires or will it air up all four one after another? Thanks

Top Bottom