Need 35's advice...

JP Girl

Hey guys! Need some advice...

My new Rubicon Hard Rock (2dr, auto, 3.73) should be arriving within the next couple of weeks. (Per Chrysler, ship date is estimated at 4/20). That being said, I've been researching getting 35's on it right away. I'd like to be able to sell the stock tires/wheels with as little miles as possible to get the most money out of them. I've been reading that with cutting the fenders, I should be fine running the 35's. I'm still researching on the lift that I want and won't be in the market to buy that until later this year... but I'm pushing towards an EVO Enforcer suspension (I've had TeraFlex in the past and wasn't the biggest fan). Lastly, I've ran BFG M/T's on all my Jeeps for the past 20 years and never had any problems with them... however, seeing the Nitto Trail Grapplers, I'm considering those for a change! So what I need advice on:

1. Will I be good with running 35's on my stock Rubi if I cut the fenders?

2. How do you guys like the Nitto Trail Grapplers? My Jeep will be my DD with some very light offroading for now. I live in the midwest, so I need them to be good with rain and snow. Also open to other suggestions... or should I just stick with what I've known for the past two decades and go with the BFG M/T's again?

Thank you!!

JP Girl

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
With a 1.75 front day star spacers and cut fenders you can run advertised 35s no problem. Here is a photo of Youngfire's rig before she switched to coilovers.

1428962549944.jpg

I say drive around stock for a week or so and see if you like the ride. If you do, save yourself some money and just get the front spacers and chop your fenders. If you dont like the ride both EVO and Rancho offers a 2" systems. Just keep in mind that ride quality is 100% subjective.

I cant speak for the trail grapplers as I havent had them yet. However, Ive read nothing but good things.

Hope this helps.

noroad

With a 1.75 front day star spacers and cut fenders you can run advertised 35s no problem. Here is a photo of Youngfire's rig before she switched to coilovers.

View attachment 137149

I say drive around stock for a week or so and see if you like the ride. If you do, save yourself some money and just get the front spacers and chop your fenders. If you dont like the ride both EVO and Rancho offers a 2" systems. Just keep in mind that ride quality is 100% subjective.

I cant speak for the trail grapplers as I havent had them yet. However, Ive read nothing but good things.

Hope this helps.

^^agree

as for the trailgrapplers i would recommend going with a 315 over a 35 (same size really) but the major difference is tire rating 35s come in a E well the 315s come in a D. the D rating is a much better drive for a daily driver.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Two other things to consider when going up in tire size are getting a programmer, and putting gussets on your Cs.

The programmer will adjust your shift points and adjust your speedo.

The gussets will prevent your Cs from bending, which will lead to uneven tire wear and awkward handling.

CrazyTrainJK

Caught the Bug
Two other things to consider when going up in tire size are getting a programmer, and putting gussets on your Cs.

The gussets will prevent your Cs from bending, which will lead to uneven tire wear and awkward handling.

Are the gussets needed with 35's even with light wheeling?

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Are the gussets needed with 35's even with light wheeling?

The stock D44 axle has the same tubes and end forgings as the stock D30, the only difference is the pumpkin and axle shafts. That being said, do yourself a favor and add c's if you plan on increasing your tire size and or wheeling at all. :thumb: Shoot you could bend your axle hitting a big pothole on the road. :yup:

CrazyTrainJK

Caught the Bug
The stock D44 axle has the same tubes and end forgings as the stock D30, the only difference is the pumpkin and axle shafts. That being said, do yourself a favor and add c's if you plan on increasing your tire size and or wheeling at all. :thumb: Shoot you could bend your axle hitting a big pothole on the road. :yup:

Good to know Thanks

Mtbhjm

As far as tires go, this is how 35x12.5 R17 BFG KM2s look after 50,000 miles of moderate to somewhat aggressive pavement driving, so I would say they are a great high mileage tire (for the m/t category). They aren't too loud for a m/t tire either, I actually like the noise. They have excellent road manners IMO. I haven't done any wheeling past gravel roads and a little mud (they worked great in both), so I can't say much for how they do off road. I guess it depends on what you are looking for in a tire. I also attached pictures of the unused spare for comparison. As a note, these are being run on a 2009 Rubicon Unlimited w/ a 2.5 inch lift. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1428966867.516585.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1428966914.505128.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1428966985.448340.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1428966625.219087.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1428966669.661508.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1428966740.856801.jpg

Last edited:

dwmgcs

Can't go wrong with BFG's, I've run them a long time as well, I think you might get a little longer life out of the BFG's as a daily driver than most other brands.

JP Girl

As far as tires go, this is how 35x12.5 R17 BFG KM2s look after 50,000 miles of moderate to somewhat aggressive pavement driving, so I would say they are a great high mileage tire (for the m/t category). They aren't too loud for a m/t tire either, I actually like the noise. They have excellent road manners IMO. I haven't done any wheeling past gravel roads and a little mud (they worked great in both), so I can't say much for how they do off road. I guess it depends on what you are looking for in a tire. I also attached pictures of the unused spare for comparison. As a note, these are being run on a 2009 Rubicon Unlimited w/ a 2.5 inch lift. View attachment 137169 View attachment 137170 View attachment 137171 View attachment 137166 View attachment 137167 View attachment 137168

Thanks Mtbhjm, I agree... all my BFG KM2s in the past have lasted at least 50k and that's with wheeling on them. They have actually always worked really well for me in the past on both road, dirt, mud, rocks, creeks, etc. So I guess I should just stick with what I know. Here's one of my old babies wheeling on the BFG's-
24122_360293816187_7427816_n.jpg 216186_4253686187_1582_n.jpg

JP Girl

Awesome, thanks Mr.Ty- I'll definitely look into doing that! I appreciate all the advice!!

Top Bottom