P0455 Engine Light

Fuhaxian

Anyone have any experience with the P0455 Evap Purge System Large Leak Engine Code Light?

Is there anything worth mentioning when trying to solve this issue or common issues that usually arouse this light to come on? Hoping it's a simple fix but you never know! Also it's probably worth mentioning I often times get a GASCAP alert right after filling my tank up, the gascap looks fine to me and usually attempting to tighten it down more does nothing.

scull20

Has this particular code been happening for a while now, or did it just start? Have you gone off-road lately?

Have you noticed any change in sounds from your exhaust? An exhaust leak somewhere can cause that code.

Make sure the cap is making a proper seal with the filler neck. If you have an doubts with the cap, replace it and see if that solves anything.

Last edited:

Fuhaxian

No, haven't gone off roading in a good while. The GASCAP light's been an issue for quite sometime, never really bothered into looking at it. Can't exactly say I've noticed any different sounds!

I'm thinking I might just order a new gas cap and see if that leads anywhere.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I had that on my 2003 KJ. In my case, I found that the cheap flexible vacuum hose that connects to the canister had a cut or crack on a bend which was wide open. Replaced it with fuel grade hose and never had the problem again. Hope that helps - Good Luck!

Fuhaxian

Does anyone know where the lines are under my Jeep. I can trace the ones coming from my canister, but are there are other ones particular important I should check? Also is there an easy way to see the hose running to the gas cap. It's hidden under the trim.

Does anyone know where the lines are under my Jeep. I can trace the ones coming from my canister, but are there are other ones particular important I should check? Also is there an easy way to see the hose running to the gas cap. It's hidden under the trim.

You can see the hose for the fuel cap if you remove the tail light.

Saw the code thrown out on a trail that ended up being due to a leak at the exhaust manifold.

Maybe I'm wrong but that really doesn't make sense to me as those are two separate systems. I've been chasing the same issue with mine for quite a while and it's coming down to taking it to get it smoked to find the leak.

scull20

Maybe I'm wrong but that really doesn't make sense to me as those are two separate systems. I've been chasing the same issue with mine for quite a while and it's coming down to taking it to get it smoked to find the leak.

I'm merely speaking from that experience...didn't mean to send anyone in the wrong direction.

Fuhaxian

You can see the hose for the fuel cap if you remove the tail light.

I had this issue back in December and it ended being one of the plastic hard lines that developed a hole due to a battery cable rubbing against it.

Here is my write-up:
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?22510-P0455-Check-Engine-Code

May not be your issue, but it's something to check for.

Good luck,
Matt

Thanks! Definitely worth checking out tomorrow when the sun shines again! I already ordered a gas cap but figured if it wasn't the case I could just return it!

Top Bottom