High mileage motors

ClarksAdventures

I have never kept any of my vehicles over 50-70,000 miles before. But seeing as how I never see myself parting with my 2014 2dr, I'm curious to see who has the most mileage/years on their original engines.

3.8's and 3.6's. Have people made it 150, 200, 300k?

ClarksAdventures

161,000? Not too shabby! I'm only 9 months in and just broke 13,000. With how much I drive, I'm wondering if 200-250+ is a possibility on the 3.6

SFNick

3.8L 111,000 sounds like a duck! I haven't changed the oil in 40k miles, my engine recycles a quart every 1500 miles or so. I just change the oil filter every so often & put a quart in when low. ;)

ClarksAdventures

3.8L 111,000 sounds like a duck! I haven't changed the oil in 40k miles, my engine recycles a quart every 1500 miles or so. I just change the oil filter every so often & put a quart in when low. ;)

Lol "recycles". Awesome. My first ever truck, and old f-150 did that. Every day after school I would automatically dump a quart in it before I left the parking lot.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
161,000? Not too shabby! I'm only 9 months in and just broke 13,000. With how much I drive, I'm wondering if 200-250+ is a possibility on the 3.6

I have been thinking along the same lines. I might be just a hair ahead of you with 15k in 10 months and expect to put 15k or so on it per year in the future.

With the 3.6 specifically, I think making it into the 150-200k range is a very likely possibility without any major problems. The auto trans bolted to the 3.6 is also pretty bulletproof as well.

If you stay current on all maintenence and pay attention to any signs of bigger issues, I really think the powertrain will last you a long time.

As a side note, you can pick up a sub 10,000mi motor from one of the shops that does hemi/LS swaps for $2500ish. Not a bad deal if you needed a long block. :thumbup:

ClarksAdventures

I have been thinking along the same lines. I might be just a hair ahead of you with 15k in 10 months and expect to put 15k or so on it per year in the future.

With the 3.6 specifically, I think making it into the 150-200k range is a very likely possibility without any major problems. The auto trans bolted to the 3.6 is also pretty bulletproof as well.

If you stay current on all maintenence and pay attention to any signs of bigger issues, I really think the powertrain will last you a long time.

As a side note, you can pick up a sub 10,000mi motor from one of the shops that does hemi/LS swaps for $2500ish. Not a bad deal if you needed a long block. :thumbup:

Oh let's face it. When the 3.6 goes in a few hundred, it'll be time for a big boy engine. Assuming that in 8+ years, a V8 is even still made.

I put about 20-22k miles a year on. I guess I'll find out in a couple years.

Wow, that a lot of driving. I use to drive between Oregon and utah for family quite often and racked up 30+/year once. But 22 every year is quite the feat, nice going!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Oh let's face it. When the 3.6 goes in a few hundred, it'll be time for a big boy engine. Assuming that in 8+ years, a V8 is even still made.

Wow, that a lot of driving. I use to drive between Oregon and utah for family quite often and racked up 30+/year once. But 22 every year is quite the feat, nice going!

Well it's only been two years. Lol first year was like 22.k, second year was 21k and this year will probably be 20k. We'll see, still have 3.5 months to go.

Work is only 30 miles round trip too. Lots of fun adventures. :yup:

What do you consider "bigger" issues? I thought this same thing until about 4 weeks ago :cheesy:

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
What do you consider "bigger" issues? I thought this same thing until about 4 weeks ago :cheesy:

Good question! I was actually a little hesitant to post about the reliability of the 3.6 after seeing what happened to you today!

Did you make it to Grand Junction or did you have to swap tow trucks? :eek:

Good question! I was actually a little hesitant to post about the reliability of the 3.6 after seeing what happened to you today!

Did you make it to Grand Junction or did you have to swap tow trucks? :eek:

Nah same tow truck made it around 9pm. Will deal with dealership in the morning.

Shantz

I bought it the end of April 2014 with 142,000 I'll turn 20,000 this year myself... since I've had it, I put in a rebuilt transmission... runs great. The guys before me shaved the heads around 110,000... water pump just went today... I should easily get 200,000 before I swap the engine.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
OK, my 2012 isn't a high miler with 43k, but just for grins I decided to see if it could go 5k between oil changes witout adding oil and checking the level often. It used less than 1/2 qt. I think it's gonna go 200k+ mi. if I keep it that long and if I don't beat it up too badly.

Top Bottom