Another stupid 35's upgrade question

2SEXY4MYSHIRT

I know there are a lot of questions and answers about upgrading to 35's; but I was unable to find the answer to my particular situation. I am currently running
LT 285 70R 17 Duratracs on 17x9 Rockstars with 4.5 backspacing. My JK is sitting on a Zone 2 in coil spacer lift with bumpstops. All threads suggest a minimum of 2.5 lift or trim fenders. Most of the Jeeps I've seen with 35's and 2.5 in lifts also have aftermarket bumpers and winches. My question is: Wouldn't a 2 in lift with stock bumpers and 35's be the same as a 2.5 in lift with aftermarket bumpers and winches with 35's or at least very close functionally? Thanks...

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Advertised 35" tire measures around 33.5". Your 285 measures around 33". You'll gain about ½" or so.

jeffd

I had Toyo 285/70-17 at2's and I know have Toyo 35/12.5-17 and there is about 2" of actual measured height difference (measured with level on top to the ground with 30psi in each tire).
You can try and run 35"s with 2" lift but you will need to check your bumpstops and by the time you are done you may not have much up travel. Probably fine for around town but off road won't be ideal.

also every tire manufacturer is different in actual size compared to listed size..

Last edited:
Advertised 35" tire measures around 33.5". Your 285 measures around 33". You'll gain about ½" or so.

It must vary greatly on brand. My 35 toyos are waaay bigger than the 295/70 mxts. Id say a good inch and a half. Shoulda took a side by side pick but, the 295s werent nearly as big as i thought they were.

Its really gonna differ from rig to rig. What was said above is true. Can you mount 35s on a 2" lift with stock fender and bumper? Yes you can. Will it cause issues with rubbing off road? Probably yes unless you limit your up travel alot.

MarkW13

It must vary greatly on brand. My 35 toyos are waaay bigger than the 295/70 mxts. Id say a good inch and a half. Shoulda took a side by side pick but, the 295s werent nearly as big as i thought they were.

I have done some measuring myself. The results are similar to yours. While a 35 may not be exactly 35 it isnt that far off.

MarkW13

Its really gonna differ from rig to rig. What was said above is true. Can you mount 35s on a 2" lift with stock fender and bumper? Yes you can. Will it cause issues with rubbing off road? Probably yes unless you limit your up travel alot.

I'm running 2" with 35's. No major issues. All aftermarket bumpers with a winch.

I have done some measuring myself. The results are similar to yours. While a 35 may not be exactly 35 it isnt that far off.

Yup. Lots of people look for a definitive measurement and there simply is not one. To the OP, i would recommend testing flex and clearance as it sits now and see how much room you have. If you feel like it may rub with a tire that could be an inch or two bigger, be prepared to do some mods, or go w a smaller tire.

MarkW13

Yup. Lots of people look for a definitive measurement and there simply is not one. To the OP, i would recommend testing flex and clearance as it sits now and see how much room you have. If you feel like it may rub with a tire that could be an inch or two bigger, be prepared to do some mods, or go w a smaller tire.

Agreed. My initial problem was the plastic air dam, then the rubi rails. All good now.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Metric tire sizes are accurate, the 33", 35" and 37" will vary, but not by much. My 37" nitro tg Measure at 35.5".
Here are accurate metric tire sizes.

Attachments

• 1429020925507.jpg
    1429020925507.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 125
  • 1429020943598.jpg
    1429020943598.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 125
  • 1429020956524.jpg
    1429020956524.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 124

2SEXY4MYSHIRT

Thanks guys... I ran 33 in duratracs with no lift and no issues...got the 2 in zone coil spacer with bumpstops. There is only a 1.5 in diameter difference which is only about 3/4 in circumference difference between the two tires. Took measurements and there is plenty of room on full turn...won't even have to trim front air dam.

Metric tire sizes are accurate, the 33", 35" and 37" will vary, but not by much. My 37" nitro tg Measure at 35.5".
Here are accurate metric tire sizes.

Yea they are all ballpark close id say. My 35 toyos measure about 34.5 unmounted, but on the jeep at 28psi, they run about 33.75.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I had Toyo 285/70-17 at2's and I know have Toyo 35/12.5-17 and there is about 2" of actual measured height difference (measured with level on top to the ground with 30psi in each tire).
You can try and run 35"s with 2" lift but you will need to check your bumpstops and by the time you are done you may not have much up travel. Probably fine for around town but off road won't be ideal.

also every tire manufacturer is different in actual size compared to listed size..

You measured wrong. You need to measure from the ground to the center of the wheel and double it. A tire is not round when it is mounted and on a vehicle.

Not really. If you measure properly most everyone will have the same measurements. Small differences due to wheels and tire pressure will be the deciding factor.

Not really. If you measure properly most everyone will have the same measurements. Small differences due to wheels and tire pressure will be the deciding factor.

I agree with that too. in my case, they were both mounted to the factory wheel. Same size wheel, same psi. There was a considerable difference between the 295 and the 35x12.50. Or at least between these brands there was.

MarkW13

You measured wrong. You need to measure from the ground to the center of the wheel and double it. A tire is not round when it is mounted and on a vehicle.

What happens when you start rolling with centrifugal force? On the extreme side I use a dragster as an example.

jeffd

yes it was only flat on the bottom :). 35's measure ~34" and 285/70-17 measured under 32" parked in the same garage. When I measured to calibrate my speedo I measured from center of hub to cement floor on both and still got ~1" taller for the 35's so I figure they are almost 2" taller total. I know my front/rear pumpkins have ~1" more clearance with the 35's/.

Last edited:
Top Bottom